P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Some bars, record stores in Melbourne
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtomicGrave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
AtomicGrave wrote:
Ross Liew wrote:
Does anyone know if the Modern Invasion store is still active? used to be run by Damon Bloodstorm, now of Cemetary Urn..

Damon was working at 'Extreme Aggression'(Modern Invasion shopfront?) for a while but that was a good 12yrs ago. Modern Invasion has no store now that i know of but they still distribute within Oz.

Yeah i guess that was it. I was studying in Melbourne way back in the mid 1990s so not surprising its not there now. i remember another shop called Smoke Dreams, diagonally opposite the train station and they sold a pretty good selection of metal CDs, shirts and weed!

Smoke dreams is still there but i don't think they have music anymore. mostly t-shirts, patches, jewelry.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sad..is the lady (prob the owner) still there? she must be pretty aged now methinks.
AtomicGrave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
That's sad..is the lady (prob the owner) still there? she must be pretty aged now methinks.

No idea?
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to pay a visit to Melbourne in the near future..not sure how much it has changed since 12 years ago.
UR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtomicGrave wrote:
Ross Liew wrote:

No idea?

If you mean Helen, I think she sold the business or whatever a few years ago, its a different store now, a dodgy tattoo parlour mixed with shit merchandise, I mean they use to sell LPs, zines, underground shit, now you can buy nu-metal shirts there, its not even worth looking in. If youve heard of the retail stores called 'Off ya Tree'... its basically the same as that
toilet_loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh..... the glory days of melbourne. No, Helen has had nothing to do with Smoke Dreams for many years now. And yes, unless you want a Slipknot wrist band, Mudvayne shirt and a wonky tribal tattoo I would steer well clear.
All this talk of Extreme Aggression and no mention of Daniel Janecka? He was always a highlight of a trip into the city. Once me and a friend were in there looking around, I asked to look at a Decomposed cd but didn't buy it (regret that now) then we left. We were about 30 metres down the street and he comes running up to us and instructs us that we come back to the store to give the cd a listen. A very odd man. And the dodgy German accent made it even better.
no one has mentioned the Dixons stores for s/hand vinyl, occassionally good shit turns up at the Blackburn store. Avoid the other locations. Licorice Pie off Chapel Street for more collector priced stuff, ditto Vicious Sloth. Missing Link for the meat and potatoes, Crazy Horse cinema on Eliz St for a wank, Polyester Books in Brunswick St for literature and The Tote for booze.
And Metropolis no longer sells music. Apparently. But given that they had the same shit sitting there for years, did they ever?
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metropolis sold music six months ago and i got some good vinyl scores like Flower Travelln' Band, check it out first I'd say.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toilet_loiterer wrote:
ahhhh..... the glory days of melbourne. No, Helen has had nothing to do with Smoke Dreams for many years now. And yes, unless you want a Slipknot wrist band, Mudvayne shirt and a wonky tribal tattoo I would steer well clear.
All this talk of Extreme Aggression and no mention of Daniel Janecka? He was always a highlight of a trip into the city. Once me and a friend were in there looking around, I asked to look at a Decomposed cd but didn't buy it (regret that now) then we left. We were about 30 metres down the street and he comes running up to us and instructs us that we come back to the store to give the cd a listen. A very odd man. And the dodgy German accent made it even better.
no one has mentioned the Dixons stores for s/hand vinyl, occassionally good shit turns up at the Blackburn store. Avoid the other locations. Licorice Pie off Chapel Street for more collector priced stuff, ditto Vicious Sloth. Missing Link for the meat and potatoes, Crazy Horse cinema on Eliz St for a wank, Polyester Books in Brunswick St for literature and The Tote for booze.
And Metropolis no longer sells music. Apparently. But given that they had the same shit sitting there for years, did they ever?

Daniel's dodgy German accent was solely due to the fact he is Czech ha ha.
Then the devil must...
toilet_loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood and Thunder wrote:

Really??!! All these years... but what about 'ze supreme grind art'???
deathevocation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people from Melbourne who are old enough will have similar Janecka stories. Nutcase.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toilet_loiterer wrote:
Blood and Thunder wrote:

Really??!! All these years... but what about 'ze supreme grind art'???

a facade by any other name is still a facade...
Then the devil must...
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bjorn"]I haven't been to Melbourne in a few years.. But apart from what the others have said.. Peril is the place to get some good obscure death industrial/dark ambience..They sell some metal as well as a bunch of bootleg videos/dvds..some obscure snuff type stuff under the counter and have a bunch of clothes. They also have a tattoo/body peircing room i think.
/quote]

Peril has pretty much stopped selling really obsucre ambient/industrial now.You'll notice that they havent bought in any new stuff in years - I ended up buying most of their good stock at a big mark-down because they couldnt sell it.Heartland is a better bet for that stuff.

Meh, there are some great bands in Melbourne, but the good ones dont play all that often, and there are a lot of really crappy scene bands.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah..so Helen is no more in the business, yeah i remember her, nice lady who'd always recommend me the new releases that she had in store.

Daniel? never came across him before, was always Damon who was at the shop..
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever want to get rid of a girl, just let her meet Daniel Laughing
toilet_loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone recall the episode of Couchman from the early 90's about metal that had Necrotomy playing live and Daniel from MIM/Extreme Aggression prattling on about 'ze power of extreme grindart'? Classic stuff.... really should get around to putting it on Youtube.
Daniel really should have been a used car salesman......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: