P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Derek Riggs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Derek Riggs Reply with quote

I thought there might already be a thread about the legendary Iron Maiden artist, but couldn't find one. Yesterday was Derek Riggs' 60th birthday, and we posted this article to celebrate.

https://dmrbooks.com/test-blog/2018/2/18/painting-metal-the-art-of-derek-riggs

Free epic metal compilation: www.dmrbooks.bandcamp.com
MattBastard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go shopping with my grandmother as a young kid and vividly remember seeing the early Maiden albums at Montgomery Wards in their music section - I'd stand there and gaze at the covers of Killers, Number of the Beast, and Piece Of Mind, thinking how these must contain something amazing. It was over a few visits I decided which one I should buy and bought The Number Of The Beast and never looked back. Out of all the Maiden albums, my favorite Riggs' cover would be Powerslave, to this day I'd say that is my favorite cover-art of all-time.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up about a legendary artist, Dave. Surprised to hear you aren't too enthusiastic about his work on Somewhere in Time and thereafter, I think that cover is my favorite piece of his, not to mention the Stranger in a Strange Land single sleeve as well. The Seventh Son era had tons of great stuff too.

I've got the Run For Cover book as well, it's a good insight into his work with band. I still hold out hope we'll get a few new pieces of his work in an official Maiden context. The last one he did, the Flight 666 one with Eddie ripping Ed Force One apart mid-flight is fantastic! I've bought a couple prints from him over the years too, he and his wife are very friendly people and made ordering personalized things from him a pleasure.
havingmysay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Derek Riggs last April in San Diego and he signed a copy of his book for me. Super nice dude.

DMR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
Nice write up about a legendary artist, Dave. Surprised to hear you aren't too enthusiastic about his work on Somewhere in Time and thereafter, I think that cover is my favorite piece of his, not to mention the Stranger in a Strange Land single sleeve as well. The Seventh Son era had tons of great stuff too.

I didn't write the article. It was by Deuce Richardson, who writes most of the blog posts. (He was the editor of The Cimmerian, which was a very popular fantasy/pulp fiction blog about ten years ago.) Personally, I love the art for Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time.

Free epic metal compilation: www.dmrbooks.bandcamp.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: