P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Recent movies you watched/bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 672, 673, 674 ... 730, 731, 732  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snakenuts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skulv wrote:
Iíve been on a Jackie Chan kick this month, watched 6 of his films so far. Anyone here fans/wanna recommend their favorites?

Drunken Master is probably the funniest of them all, but I really enjoyed the Project A films. Of course Police story series is great (the chase scene at the start of film one is etched into my brain. unreal). Two other not so well known ones I enjoyed are Twin Dragons and City Hunter
I canít remember the name of it, but the first mainstream movie he did (the one before first strike) had some of the best fight choreography iíve seen in a kung fu film. I think it was Rumble in the Bronx?
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakenuts wrote:
skulv wrote:
Iíve been on a Jackie Chan kick this month, watched 6 of his films so far. Anyone here fans/wanna recommend their favorites?

Drunken Master is probably the funniest of them all, but I really enjoyed the Project A films. Of course Police story series is great (the chase scene at the start of film one is etched into my brain. unreal). Two other not so well known ones I enjoyed are Twin Dragons and City Hunter
I canít remember the name of it, but the first mainstream movie he did (the one before first strike) had some of the best fight choreography iíve seen in a kung fu film. I think it was Rumble in the Bronx?

Yeah, that was probably it.
I also reccomend highly the Police Story series, the first two specially. Armour of God is also really good, as is Wheels on Meals. Dragon's Forever is really enjoyable as well. It kinda drags in the middle, but the slapstick scenes between Jackie, Biao and Sammo are really funny and the final fight is as great as usual. Oh, and City Hunter is also a lot of fun. The Street Fighter fight with Gary Daniels is better than any of the live action adaptations.
For a different style of Jackie, you've got Crime Story, which is a more serious crime drama which is also pretty good, and The Protector, which is highly enjoyable 80s Cannon cheese, with a really over the top performance by Danny Aiello and lots of tits.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa and the Devil
The House of Exorcism

Special double feature set. Mario Bava collection.

Love this stuff. Even the worst of it is better than a lot of modern movies. The modern stuff, its like they lost the desire to make it 'art' ...a few exceptions mind you.

...just something about the colors and grainy film cells, even the odd damaged scratched cell flashing by is great.
GermanicIron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faces of Death: classic. Dumb as fuck, but classic. 9/10.

Sorry To Bother You: much hyped but honestly kind of disappointing. A few funny moments, but pretty meh overall. 5/10.

Freaknik: The Musical: also dumb as fuck, but hilarious. 7/10.

Downrange: great premise, middling execution, but some decent gore and a nicely devilish sense of humor. 6/10.

Bram Stoker's Dracula: so goofy, but so good. 8/10.

https://germaniciron.bandcamp.com
danofort

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conspiracy: Just re-watched this. The best thing HBO has ever done.
Midnight Run: classic
The Great Silence: looking forward to seeing this. Can't believe how many Spaghetti westerns were made back in the day.
Alien: saw it at the incredible Redford Theatre in Detroit. Seeing it on a big screen made me appreciate it that much more.
7.62◊39

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakenuts wrote:
soulreaper wrote:
Any recommendation for some war movies?

The Thin Red Line

Tae guk gi: brotherhood of war
skulv

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Jackie Chan recs folks! So far Iíve seen
-First Strike
-City Hunter
-Mr. Nice Guy
-Project A
-Armour of God
-Operation Condor

Not really a dull moment amongst all 6 films but I think City Hunter and Project A are the strongest so far!
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peep Rumble in the Bronx the choreography in that is insane
skulv

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
Peep Rumble in the Bronx the choreography in that is insane

That was one of the only Jackie movies I saw growing up but it has been maybe ten years since Iíve seen it so it requires a second watch!
Ough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, I should rewatch a bunch of Jackie movies too. Pretty sure in RITB he severely sprains his ankle (or breaks it?) jumping from the bridge to the ship. Wears a fake tennis shoe sleeve over his cast for the rest of the filming lol. Watching a reel of that guys stunts makes my butthole sweat, what a maniac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEVz1V-X4w

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skulv wrote:

Incredible to see Jackie mentioned at NWN!

Not from Jackie, since all of his best movies have already been mentioned here, but if you a martial arts-comedy maniac like me, then you at all costs must check out Kung Fu Hustle by Stephen Chow, although it may be too over the top goofy/cgi-ed or cartoonish for your tastes, this is exactly why I loved it as a kid.

passetiermes wrote:
My advice is this: take a vacation from metal, there's more to life than that.
Widdershins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie Chan is a true maniac. This scene from Police Story proves this easily:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDXyiisZ50

He apparently broke several bones and dislocated his hip doing that stunt. Fucking INSANE.

Also Armour of God is an underrated classic. Jackie Chan as an Asian Indiana Jones fighting a cult of relic stealing Satanists? Sign me the fuck up!

Also he did indeed break his ankle while filming one of the last scenes in Rumble in the Bronx, they show it at the end during the credits. He jumps onto the edge of the hover craft and shatters his ankle in the process. They then show the fake shoe cast he had to wear for the rest of the movie.

Drunken Master is easily his best movie though, good light hearted kung fu comedy, and the fight scenes are insane! The choreography is truly amazing, it's actually the same choreographer guy that was used in the Matrix.
(((OdiumNostrum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Devil and Father Amorth is apparently already on Netflix, has anyone seen it? Its getting sub-par reviews so far.
cochino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:

Also Armour of God is an underrated classic. Jackie Chan as an Asian Indiana Jones fighting a cult of relic stealing Satanists? Sign me the fuck up!

His fight against the black ladies is one of my all time favorites of his, along the park one in Police Story 2.
Insalubriousnecroticism

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1981 wrote:
skulv wrote:

Incredible to see Jackie mentioned at NWN!

Not from Jackie, since all of his best movies have already been mentioned here, but if you a martial arts-comedy maniac like me, then you at all costs must check out Kung Fu Hustle by Stephen Chow, although it may be too over the top goofy/cgi-ed or cartoonish for your tastes, this is exactly why I loved it as a kid.

I feel like Stephen Chow is underrated. Pretty sure he wrote this and Shaolin Soccer as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 672, 673, 674 ... 730, 731, 732  Next
Page 673 of 732

Jump to: