P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Kulttimaa - Demo II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Këjser Öccÿlt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Kulttimaa - Demo II Reply with quote

Alright so Kulttimaa's second demo is now out on Goatowarex. The music has seemed to be off putting enough that it is still available (which is great!). As I haven't really written anything about the project before I thought that instead of a regular commercial blurb I could make this topic to tell a bit about the concept and the external ideational field of reference behind Kulttimaa. But before reading these ramblings I recommend checking out the music (there's something here: https://kulttimaa.bandcamp.com/) as it definitely is not for everyone and even cruder than the words below.

To this day the few promotional taglines associated with the project have mostly underlined the vampyric aspects of the Kulttimaa. These are true in the sense that in the mythopoetic process of Kulttimaa the theme and substance of blood is essential in its many forms (especially as the aesthetic concept of Rotten Majesty). But I want to stress here that the inner, philosophical core of Kulttimaa is radical anti-consciousness, and linked to this through mythopoesis, the theme of radical anti-reincarnation. Kulttimaa is an speculative, audial attempt to create an Secondary World striving desperately to end the ultimate mistake of consciousness.

While I have written a longer introduction about the concept of Kulttimaa (with a bunch of other textual material) to be included with the LP coming out also through Goatowarex, I want to make a few brief points here. First is that in its inspirations Kulttimaa is much more textual than musical concept, but due to my choice of using Finnish as the primary language I haven't really been able to convey my thoughts properly. The two main textual paradigms are 1) the regular body of works of nihilism and pessimism (Cioran and Schopenhauer but also Ligotti, Metzinger, Mainländer etc.) and 2) the poetry of solitude by Finnish modernist poets (especially Eeva-Liisa Manner and Pentti Saarikoski). The lesser component is formed by the medieval christian texts dealing with the concept of darkness, introducing medieval and satanic ideas.

The second point deals more with the substance of music. With the first demo I thought that Kulttimaa would be a kafkaesque entity, quickly annihilating itself through the ever-growing inner anxieties. But things quickly made a Schulzian turn, finding new inspirations, it bore a plethora of new, strange and overtly ripe fruits. This can be heard on the new demo which, besides the aforementioned body of works, took inspirations also from technical manuals about meat processing technology, Mishima and Hamsun. These introduced the musical themes expressing shadowy flesh processing and mellow, mysterious eroticism.

“On that night the sky laid bare its internal construction in many sections which, like quasi-anatomical exhibits, showed the spirals and whorls of light, the pale-green solids of darkness, the plasma of space, the tissue of dreams.” -Schulz

PS. I have received many kind words about this project through private messages. I probably haven't replied to you. But your words are appreciated.
Dr. Decibel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge fan of this incredible project. But I'm wondering: is the new demo tape available anywhere in the US? Or will it be, eventually?
Naisen Ketsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with the name, sir? Kulttimaa = Cult land, right? How did that come to be?
Widdershins

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great band and initial release, really looking forward to getting my copy of the second tape...

Also trying to figure out what is going on in that picture haha...
Dr. Decibel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those elf boots are the truth. Just gonna buy it straight from Goatowa. Can’t risk this one selling out on me. Once people get a look at those boots those tapes are as good as gone.
sydo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, I overslept on the first tape and now it’s sold out from TDG as well. What is the estimated time of release of the dull length.
Naisen Ketsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me of The Black Satans parody band. Actually the corpse paint guy in the first post photo reminded me of them already. Now that I checked the Bandcamp site I know it's a joke band, too! Yay. Rolling Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=109&v=0bQM5G5y7ik
Pessoa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That name dropping: Cioran, Schopenhauer, Ligotti, Metzinger. Oh my. Good stuff.

Then I see the cover for the second demo...

Please tell me this is not a joke band. Sad
Këjser Öccÿlt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naisen Ketsu wrote:
What's up with the name, sir? Kulttimaa = Cult land, right? How did that come to be?

The idea behind the name draws from my fascination for cults overall. Conceptually the name of the first demo "Tornimailla" (Towerlands) was connected with the name of the project. I envisioned this larger overall region, Kulttimaa, which served as a grounding device much like Arda for Tolkien, containing often vast yet smaller regions. The place where the actual sonic journey against consciousness begun was the "Towerlands" a region filled with huge, gormenghastian, (or ligottian Red) towers. Every one of these towers had a vast cellar that housed their own death-cult. The purpose of these cults was to keep the tower running, because the actual function of these towers was to serve as a beacon, generating a shield against the ever present problem of re-incarnation... But that's a story for another time.

And no, Kulttimaa is not a "joke" or "parody" project. The cover of the second demo is completely representative of my aesthetic fancies (all the clothing is pretty much my daily use stuff anyway). So deal with it or don't.
peopleface

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the two new songs on the bandcamp

The vocals of the songs remind me a bit of this https://youtu.be/faKVk2ha4YA
baobao

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just received the entire pressing of debut Kulttimaa LP, titled Tornimailta Mustaan Hän Käveli ja Katosi Metsän Synkkään Huokaukseen, which is a conceptual album that extended from the original Tornimailla 3 tracks tape, 8 songs of other-worldly vampiric fantasy music.

Kulttimaa is really hard to define musically, there is military pop, dark ambient, neo-folk, spoken words, etc etc, orchastrated by the masters and woven into a canvas of dreadful dreamland.

If you like their photos and boots, this album will come with a fat booklet with even more photos and boots to please your eyes. Twisted Evil
Pessoa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a release date for this, Dani?

Sounds fucking amazing!
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in this also.
Dr. Decibel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare copy of the first tape available for trade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: