P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mercyful Fate's best album post Melissa/DBTO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time

Shirts: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/posting.php
cochino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main problem with Time is Witches Dance. That one kinda ruins the whole feeling of the album to me and it doesn't feel like MF at all.

That being said, this band never released a bad album. I even like Dead Again a lot, although it could do without the title track, Sucking Your Blood and another one. They're all miles away from their 80s material, but the again, about 95% of Metal is.

And I never bothered checking out King's last 2 records, but before that I'd say he released only 2 weak albums which were The Graveyard and House Of God. I think Abigail 2 is unfairly underrated.
Wormvoice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
My main problem with Time is Witches Dance. That one kinda ruins the whole feeling of the album to me and it doesn't feel like MF at all.

That being said, this band never released a bad album. I even like Dead Again a lot, although it could do without the title track, Sucking Your Blood and another one. They're all miles away from their 80s material, but the again, about 95% of Metal is.

And I never bothered checking out King's last 2 records, but before that I'd say he released only 2 weak albums which were The Graveyard and House Of God. I think Abigail 2 is unfairly underrated.

Give me your Soul is a great record, it definitely wouldn't hurt to check that out!
vladoslayer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Diamond doesn't have bad albums - House of God and Graveyard are so underrated, both they have great stories and great songs. GMYSP is excellent album, but previous, Puppet Master is one of the best.

Mercyful Fate doesn't have bad albums also, Dead Again is so powerful album, like 9 also.

Really flawless discography and one of the best in metal music history.
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Graveyard and House of God aren't donwring bad albums, but they have way too much filler and the good songs aren't strong enough to make up for it.

And I listened to Time again last night after so many years, and I still can't understand why people like it so much. It's not bad but seems kinda pointless to me to settle for an ok album when I can just play a great one just as easily. I think I'm gonna give all of the 90s discography a go in the next few days to see if something else clicks.
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Time and In the Shadows have songs that are just as classic as the material from a decade previous, Egypt, Thirteen Invitations, Is That You, Melissa?, Nightmare Be Thy Name, Angel of Light, thats all classic Fate tracks right there....
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:

Goddamn man, I'm really surprised you think Witches Dance is a flop. I can't see how it does not fit the album? It has all the classic Fate traits, and the King's voice is on full belting mode during the chorus.
Subcide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
cochino wrote:

Goddamn man, I'm really surprised you think Witches Dance is a flop. I can't see how it does not fit the album? It has all the classic Fate traits, and the King's voice is on full belting mode during the chorus.

Actually, it's the chorus what doesn't really fit for me. That rhythmic and repetitive chorus is not at all what classic Mercyful Fate ever was, not even in the pre-Melissa days. It takes away that whole mystery aura they had in the golden days and it sounds closer to classic catchy rock music, as if it was a radio cut, if that makes sense. Maybe I could get into it if it was another KD project, but it sounds way too banal for Mercyful Fate.
And trust me, nobody's more frustrated about this than I am. I'd love to be able to enjoy 90s MF as much as most people do, since it's one of my favorite bands, but it just doesn't work. I just can't find anything of what I like about 80s MF in those albums, even when they're not bad music. Maybe if they were a different project, I could approach their music differently and appreciate it for what it is but having the MF monicker hanging over it, what it isn't is just much louder and I can't get past it.

That doesn't happen with solo KD because I see the newer stuff (at least what I've heard) as a logical evolution of his 80s sound and I think that even though they might not be as consistently great as the more classic albums, records like Spider's Lullaby, Voodoo and Abigail II have a few songs just as good as any in the older ones.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
cochino wrote:

Actually, it's the chorus what doesn't really fit for me. That rhythmic and repetitive chorus is not at all what classic Mercyful Fate ever was, not even in the pre-Melissa days. It takes away that whole mystery aura they had in the golden days and it sounds closer to classic catchy rock music, as if it was a radio cut, if that makes sense. Maybe I could get into it if it was another KD project, but it sounds way too banal for Mercyful Fate.
And trust me, nobody's more frustrated about this than I am. I'd love to be able to enjoy 90s MF as much as most people do, since it's one of my favorite bands, but it just doesn't work. I just can't find anything of what I like about 80s MF in those albums, even when they're not bad music. Maybe if they were a different project, I could approach their music differently and appreciate it for what it is but having the MF monicker hanging over it, what it isn't is just much louder and I can't get past it.

That doesn't happen with solo KD because I see the newer stuff (at least what I've heard) as a logical evolution of his 80s sound and I think that even though they might not be as consistently great as the more classic albums, records like Spider's Lullaby, Voodoo and Abigail II have a few songs just as good as any in the older ones.

I spent a good 3 years listening to nothing but MF and KD exclusively. The addiction and possession was real. I agree that that the first 3 MF releases are undoubtedly the best thing ever to grace metal. Unstoppable in a 3-year time span. The later albums have some excellent songs and the songwriting became very evolved. I'm most likely very biased because I hold the Fate above everyone and even think Metallica did not have a 3 album output as flawless as Fate did.

Time is a masterpiece and the most Fate of all the later albums. The ancient feeling is alive and well.
cochino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80s MF is also my favorite band, and there might be a few between them and 80s KD, but not many. Like I said elsewhere, the run the King had between 82 and 1990 will probably never be matched by any Metal artist ever. And the fact that he survived the 90s with his dignity and credibility intact, and still maintained a higher level of quality than most (if not all) other acts/artists from the 80s is also remarkable. I mean, the issues I have with 90s MF is because I compare it to 80s MF and not to the stuff that was coming out at the same time.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Like I said elsewhere, the run the King had between 82 and 1990 will probably never be matched by any Metal

I couldn't agree more.
funeral-records

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbKBHfbSK0

one of the best MF songs
sell/tradelist: http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1299166#1299166
gordeth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone happen to know which is the best version of Time? Is the 2016 vinyl reissue worth getting or should I save some money and just get it on CD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: