P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Listening before buying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too many bands making way too shitty music today. Every release pumped out by the 1,000,000,000 labels today all promise something they don't even come close to delivering. For that, Mp3 is good.

MP3 also is good for older, harder to find releases.

I've talked a lot of shit about iPods in the past and still think people that throw away their CD/LP collection in favor of one are hapless cunts. But regardless, I've thought about getting one recently. They can come in handy for long train rides and if you just want to drift off into sleep to some Black Hole or something, you can do so without having to get up for any reason. I guess they could also work just for day-to-day activity around town. Drown out the sound of the general public.

A Walkman works just as well, I know. But in today's day and age, you'll just end up looking like a retro try-hard walking around with one.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recordstres are closing 1 by 1, and its because of downloading.
I see most who download argue that its a great way to find music, and that they buy what they like, well that can hardly be the way most downloaders really act, cause then recordsstores woulnt be closing one by one.

But the music industri has fault in this to, because the mainstream labels only pust rn`b and rap and crap like that. Making way for hitmusic only, and pretty much ignore anything else.

The metal underground seems healthy thoug, but thats because it isnt about the money.

I think of downloading like this. if your 14 and goes to school, its kind of ok, but if your a working with a steady income, then buy the fucking thing!

I love my mp3 player, access to close to 1000 albums at just a few clics. What I hate about it is that it is an Ipod, wich with all its licences and crap, really provokes me. when for instance I have troble transfering bought music withinn my own computers, players.

It seems the illegal downloaders get better products, than us law-abiding fucks who use Ipods.
metalcrypt666

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been steering away from "pre-listening" because more often than not I got to hear the full album before I got the album. Then there's not that much excitement when the album comes in the mail. Makes things more interesting. I'm listening to Cauldron's "Chained to the Nite" right now, and I had not listened to a single song before.

As much as possible I now try to restrict any pre-listening to a song excerpt on Myspace or whatever.
Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped downloading completely. Listening to a vinyl record is a lot more rewarding than streaming music off myspace or listening to shitty rips downloaded from soulseek. I usually only buy from distros and labels that release/sell music of my taste, so listening before buying isn't necessary. Of course there's a rotten apple here and there, but I don't lose any sleep over spending $15 on a bad record once in a while.
spectre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never download. I do still do blind purchases occasionally but lately i've been sampling mp3s on either the bands myspace or youtube just to make sure it's worth investing in. If there's a band i'm really into and they've got a new album, I'll most likely just buy it with having listened to samples before hand. Sampling is a very useful tool and it's foolish sometimes to not sample; that being said, I don't sample entire albums, just individual tracks to see if I can get a feel of where the bands coming from.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly off topic as most people here use mp3's as a source for saving money from buying shit albums. This is ridiculous.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/10/04/music-court.html

I can't believe a jury would reach a monetary penalty like this.
She just happened to be one of the unlucky ones.
Fuck the RIAA Mad Mad Mad
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
've talked a lot of shit about iPods in the past and still think people that throw away their CD/LP collection in favor of one are hapless cunts.

Just don't get one made by apple or thin men will touch your peenor!
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Endless Morbidity wrote:
've talked a lot of shit about iPods in the past and still think people that throw away their CD/LP collection in favor of one are hapless cunts.

Just don't get one made by apple or thin men will touch your peenor!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
adrian5118

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
This is slightly off topic as most people here use mp3's as a source for saving money from buying shit albums. This is ridiculous.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/10/04/music-court.html

I can't believe a jury would reach a monetary penalty like this.
She just happened to be one of the unlucky ones.
Fuck the RIAA Mad Mad Mad

Well that chick was using a lame ass p2p program like Kazaa or LimeWire. No wonder she got caught.

Anyway, torrentprivacy.com is the only way to go now with the RIAA on the legal rise...
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SepticSchizo wrote:
Recordstres are closing 1 by 1, and its because of downloading.
I see most who download argue that its a great way to find music, and that they buy what they like, well that can hardly be the way most downloaders really act, cause then recordsstores woulnt be closing one by one.

But the music industri has fault in this to, because the mainstream labels only pust rn`b and rap and crap like that. Making way for hitmusic only, and pretty much ignore anything else.

The metal underground seems healthy thoug, but thats because it isnt about the money.

I think of downloading like this. if your 14 and goes to school, its kind of ok, but if your a working with a steady income, then buy the fucking thing!

I love my mp3 player, access to close to 1000 albums at just a few clics. What I hate about it is that it is an Ipod, wich with all its licences and crap, really provokes me. when for instance I have troble transfering bought music withinn my own computers, players.

It seems the illegal downloaders get better products, than us law-abiding fucks who use Ipods.

Of course not, most downloaders never buy music. I know many people with large mp3 collections and for that reason feel there's no need to buy music. This is what kills the independent record stores. It's one thing to download and then buy if you like it, however actions speak louder than words, if you do this, then actually do it.

Given how the job market has been with the economy, it has been hard in some months to get stuff, whereas other months I get plenty of stuff. There's still much I feel to get, and it's an ongoing process, I guess the excitement is tracking down the records I want to enjoy, or bands I want to check out. However those with steady jobs and means to buy records should buy them if they want to enjoy the music rather than download them for convenience.

I own an ipod, I currently work outdoors in a job where I can listen to music all day so I ripped my CD's, and downloaded a lot of stuff that I own on tape/vinyl, and threw it on there, it helps a lot throughout the day.

Also when money is put into something, especially $10-20 prices of average records, the appreciation is there much more. I bond more when listening to a record than when I download and listen on a computer simply for that reason, and I know bands/albums/songs better when I own physical copies since it's very easy not to pay attention at all when listening to music, even if i just sample a band through myspace i won't really get them if i'm doing other things online with that in the background, so sometimes locating the record is the best way to go.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SepticSchizo wrote:

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
Mordbrann

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previewing albums has saved me from some bad buys, but I don't always do it. Usually if I get a crap album it can be traded or sold eventually; sometimes the disc will actually grow on me too.

Mordbrann 001: Beneath (ISL) - Hollow Empty Void
Good traders: Wrathorn [3], headnhalf, addison, leizla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: