P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Black Metal Power Ballads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Spektrale_Schattenlichter



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 448

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanStench wrote:
Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
There is no such thing really.
These are merely slow songs.
A ballad implies a love song, these are not love songs.


A ballad is literally a story song, a song with a connecting narrative/plot usually dramatic and/or sentimental. Ballads didn't start with 80s hair bands writing love songs. They don't have to be about love. There are protest song ballads, ballads about medieval knights, there is even a ballad by 3EB about a drug dealer killing a friend who owes him money, pretty sure Bryan Adams wrote a ballad about Robin Hood.


Let’s not go medieval on each others’ asses here. Is there a power ballad before “Love Hurts”, i.e. mid-70s?
_________________
"Is there a middle ground between Boring Suburbanite and Misanthropic Basement Stoner?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scorn Pole



Joined: 04 Aug 2017
Posts: 182
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocaust wrote:
Absurd https://youtu.be/vTHQ4elZHD8


Another great Absurd one 'Wenn Walküren Reiten':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqMdPa9EVEM

I love the surviving the battle but mourning the dead feel it has to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Final Holocaust



Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 1196

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't care less for love songs in BM and cheesy melodic choruses, but Ride for Revenge's "Morning won't bring a twinkling star" is one of the genre's milestones in a long, long time. A lovemaking song made gold in the ol' good tradition of Samhain's "Unholy passion".
_________________
Good deals: Orionized, DEVORADOR DE PLAGAS, Atom Smasher, locustfurnace, KALITAS, cursed blood, SARCASTIC, bloodritual...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spektrale_Schattenlichter



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 448

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Holocaust wrote:
I couldn't care less for love songs in BM and cheesy melodic choruses, but Ride for Revenge's "Morning won't bring a twinkling star" is one of the genre's milestones in a long, long time. A lovemaking song made gold in the ol' good tradition of Samhain's "Unholy passion".


Milestone for what? The new hallmark of bedroom black metal cringe? That piece of writing was something else.
_________________
"Is there a middle ground between Boring Suburbanite and Misanthropic Basement Stoner?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKP



Joined: 01 Jul 2015
Posts: 132

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misantropical Painforest "You are the Brightest Start" track is epic as fuck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ1Uma1eTjk
_________________
https://www.discogs.com/seller/VVurd - lots of good stuff for reasonable prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NuclearGoatVomit



Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Posts: 3463

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spektrale_Schattenlichter wrote:
RyanStench wrote:
Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
There is no such thing really.
These are merely slow songs.
A ballad implies a love song, these are not love songs.


A ballad is literally a story song, a song with a connecting narrative/plot usually dramatic and/or sentimental. Ballads didn't start with 80s hair bands writing love songs. They don't have to be about love. There are protest song ballads, ballads about medieval knights, there is even a ballad by 3EB about a drug dealer killing a friend who owes him money, pretty sure Bryan Adams wrote a ballad about Robin Hood.


Let’s not go medieval on each others’ asses here. Is there a power ballad before “Love Hurts”, i.e. mid-70s?


Of course there is: I want you (She's so heavy) is a fucking epic doom power ballad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DMR



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 238
Location: North From Here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered this one by Demoniac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKKJznpfu_o
_________________
www.DMRBooks.com

Free epic metal compilation: www.dmrbooks.bandcamp.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spektrale_Schattenlichter



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 448

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuclearGoatVomit wrote:
Spektrale_Schattenlichter wrote:
RyanStench wrote:
Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
There is no such thing really.
These are merely slow songs.
A ballad implies a love song, these are not love songs.


A ballad is literally a story song, a song with a connecting narrative/plot usually dramatic and/or sentimental. Ballads didn't start with 80s hair bands writing love songs. They don't have to be about love. There are protest song ballads, ballads about medieval knights, there is even a ballad by 3EB about a drug dealer killing a friend who owes him money, pretty sure Bryan Adams wrote a ballad about Robin Hood.


Let’s not go medieval on each others’ asses here. Is there a power ballad before “Love Hurts”, i.e. mid-70s?


Of course there is: I want you (She's so heavy) is a fucking epic doom power ballad.


Got that right. Let’s not forget A Brighter Shade of Pale while we’re at it.
_________________
"Is there a middle ground between Boring Suburbanite and Misanthropic Basement Stoner?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Professor Black



Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 2448
Location: Evil Nation USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-sarcastic answer (Nachtmystium):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CHVyRVdaI

But you can't beat the Impaled Nazarene song.

Does Katatonia until 1994 count as black metal? Even if so, does a power ballad have to be in radio-format? Because in that case I guess that doesn't fly.
_________________
https://www.discogs.com/seller/professorblack
https://professorblack.bandcamp.com

www.bathorybook.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hassan Nasrallah
banned


Joined: 09 Apr 2019
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Black Metal Power Ballads Reply with quote

1981 wrote:
NocturnalRapport wrote:
Watain - They Rode On
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0lShs9BKYmU

For most that Watina has gone downhill long ago, I have to admit that I listened to the shit out of this single song when it came out.


Same. I never liked this band at all otherwise, but "They Rode On" isn't too bad for what it is. The reference to Cormac McCarthy is a huge part of what makes this song listenable for me though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group