P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What readest thou?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 96, 97, 98  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hreodbeorht

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extinctionbehavior wrote:
Just got to "Song of Susannah" in the Dark Tower series. Taking a break from that and starting with "Many Worlds in One" by Alex Vilenkin. Haven't ever delved into theoretical physics before and from what I've gathered Vilenkin's book explains the expansion of the universe for the laymen, such as myself. Anyone else have recommendations along the lines of that?

Seven Brief Lessons In Physics by Carlo Rovelli, think he covered that.

PanzerGeneral wrote:

I am expecting nothing less than the album of "current year"!
Sleipnir

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have one fiction and one non-fiction one going:

Andrew Michael Hurley - Devil's Day
A horror/suspense novel about a English guy who goes with his pregnant wife to attend his grandfather's funeral, which is held at the family farm in the middle of nowhere in a place called the Endlands, set against the backdrop of a legend about how the farmers, every autumn, entice the devil to join them in revelry and the next day drive him out to the moors in order to guarantee a troublefree rest of the year/cycle.

Konrad Lorenz - Civilized Man's Eight Deadly Sins
70's enviromentalism, according to him, said sins are:
-Overpopulation
-Devastation of environment
-Man's race against himself
-The break with tradition
-Emotional entropy
-Indoctrinability
-Genetic decay
-Nuclear weapons.

Sounds about right (just started the book )
extinctionbehavior

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hreodbeorht wrote:
extinctionbehavior wrote:
Just got to "Song of Susannah" in the Dark Tower series. Taking a break from that and starting with "Many Worlds in One" by Alex Vilenkin. Haven't ever delved into theoretical physics before and from what I've gathered Vilenkin's book explains the expansion of the universe for the laymen, such as myself. Anyone else have recommendations along the lines of that?

Seven Brief Lessons In Physics by Carlo Rovelli, think he covered that.

Thanks for the recommendation! I went down a rabbithole about dark energy expansion and Vilenkin's book seemed the most digestible given my almost nonexistent knowledge on the subject, so I'll definitely add that to my list.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo Rovelli is a great wirter. Che cos' la scienza. La rivoluzione di Anassimandro was a very interesting read IMO.

under a funeral shroom wrote:
Black Records Matter
BaronOvHell

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading The Iron Dream right now, not particularly captivating, seems like something Philip K Dick would write then trash because it isn't good enough. Haven't got to the 'meta' part yet though, so perhaps it will pick up. Before this I read Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight, which was great on many levels.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I've finished recently an anti-islamic book from a Frenchman named Majid Oukacha. Apostate insider knowledge is always interesting. In his case he has a very sharp mind and a great sense of metaphor but his representations of Western culture are somewhat ideal and limited.

under a funeral shroom wrote:
Black Records Matter
DMR

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaronOvHell wrote:
Reading The Iron Dream right now, not particularly captivating, seems like something Philip K Dick would write then trash because it isn't good enough. Haven't got to the 'meta' part yet though, so perhaps it will pick up. Before this I read Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight, which was great on many levels.

The Iron Dream is the worst book I've ever read in my life. It only gets worse and worse as it goes on.

Free epic metal compilation: www.dmrbooks.bandcamp.com
geistfukk

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't have any fiction to read so I started Rousseau's Confessions after having it on my shelf for four years.
DEADLIFT

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent stuff:

Havaml
Tin B Cailnge
Eliade's Yoga Book
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the Resident Evil series by S.D. Perry
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1452699#1452699
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably start Dan Simmons' "Phases of Gravity" tonight. One of the very few of his I haven't read.
Lucifer's Fury

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloughfegkillers wrote:
This crypto classic.
I was glad to get this from Abebooks some weeks back. Keel is always a great read for me, although he has a habit of mixing small amounts of previously published material in with his new writing (expertly done, of course). Fascinating none-the-less.

Just finished: Passport to Magonia ; From Folklore to Flying Saucers by Jacques Vallee. Found an original 1st edition of 169 pages. I notice most newer editions contain 369 pages. Anyone care to compare?
Anyway, I agree that this is another classic, so I do intend finding a revised edition to check out the additions.

Now: Selling Hitler by Robert Harris. Haha! This is brilliant. Nearly impossible to put down. Covers the forged Hitler diaries fiasco that broke in 1983.
Ungoliant

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wind in the Willows
Groan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond Terror- The Films of Lucio Fulci - I'm not the biggest Fulci fan, only really being into his horror and giallo stuff, but I love all of Stephen Thrower's other books (Nightmare USA being my favourite- as I'm sure everyone already knows, it's THE go-to tome for anyone even remotely interested in US exploitation cinema. Really hope volume 2 materialises some day soon), so this (the updated edition from last year) was still a must-read. Unfortunately, unlike his Jess Franco books, it doesn't shed light on too many undiscovered gems, but Thrower's writing is always spot on and highly entertaining, whether he's dissecting classics like The Beyond and The New York Ripper or reluctantly struggling through some excruciating '60s black and white comedy shite!
snakenuts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for books on symbolism in art. I dont just mean a book about symbols, but rather books on the way artists (across periods or styles) depicted things (such as the idea of time and metaphysics in Surrealism).
I am particularly interested in Satanic imagery and symbolism in religious art. For example, Goya has some great occult art, and books on Goya are great for discussing his work, but I was hoping for some books that dont just focus on one artist.
I have a couple of links below for examples:

"The Devil is in the Details" - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1523378123/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

"Mystical Symbolism" - https://www.amazon.com/Mystical-Symbolism-Salon-Croix-1892-1897/dp/0892075279/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12DHV6ISRKQ51&keywords=mystical+symbolism&qid=1558145538&s=books&sprefix=mystical+symboli%2Cstripbooks-intl-ship%2C289&sr=1-1
***This one is a good example, but it only covers one specific style/period of art. A book like this that covers a lot of periods would be great.

"Symbols and Allegories in Art" - https://www.amazon.com/Symbols-Allegories-Art-Guide-Imagery/dp/0892368187/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=36EAP4CFX5YB41RVH8Y5
*** This one also seems good, but was hoping something more tailored to the occult
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 96, 97, 98  Next
Page 86 of 98

Jump to: