P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Jex Thoth (+ looking for recommendations)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:

THE DEVIL'S BLOOD are awesome. They're totally sincere about it. They capture that "retro" sound better than all these bands while sounding a bit modern, and they do it without being pretentious and dressing like it's 1975.

Spilling blood all over your face, posting pictures of it on myspace, and playing 70's occult music isn't "totally sincere" in my book.

If that ain't THE DEFINITION of "pretentious", I don't know what is.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People get antsy when bands don't reveal every single detail of their existence, and then they pick on every single detail when they do.

Only white label is true.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jex Thoth are fucking excellent, I can't wait for new material to come out.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
and please, please, check PENTAGRAM's - first daze here!!!!!

That's a good recommendation for templedclxvi. Be sure to check it out. Also ROKY ERICKSON AND THE ALIENS - The Evil One. I'm not sure if it fits in what you seek but it sure is old sinister psychedelic rock. Also one of the best albums ever.

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I hate bands like Blood Ceremony. It seems so fake and phony to me. Just stupid kids playing dress up.

Bah. A lot of this backlash of this probably has to do with the fact they're on Rise Above or something. How exactly Jex Thoth and The Devil's Blood aren't fake and phony to you then?

I like Blood Ceremony the best of the bunch, but then again, TDB's Come, Reap was the single best song I've heard in a year or so - I just can't grow tired of it (River of Gold too)!

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Ceremony for me just didn't remotely live up to the hype or expectations- by the time I finally heard them I was just like 'this sounds like crap'.

Witchcraft obviously, but also Graveyard (Swe) they blew Witchcraft (who weren't exactly bad!) away the other week.
IIIRD GATEKEEPER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
Blood Ceremony for me just didn't remotely live up to the hype or expectations- by the time I finally heard them I was just like 'this sounds like crap'.

Glad I'm a disbeliever when it comes to all things hype.

But agreed, Graveyard did pretty much blow away Witchcraft live (saw them twice here) although I do like them both. The drummer's a human tornado, Bonzo Bonham style!

Aeonblade wrote:
Hyper distorted go nowhere songs with feedback sections. It's like everything wrong with doom.
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIIRD GATEKEEPER wrote:
The_Elite wrote:

Glad I'm a disbeliever when it comes to all things hype.

But agreed, Graveyard did pretty much blow away Witchcraft live (saw them twice here) although I do like them both. The drummer's a human tornado, Bonzo Bonham style!

Right on, they're playing near here pretty soon so I might have to check them out. I find the album a little stale after more than a few listens though... same with Blood Ceremony and Jex Thoth, The Devils Blood is definitely the best of these type of bands that I've heard... oh and old Witchcraft rules, I hope they drop the bullshit and get back to the first and second albums' sound...
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jex Thoth is great!

I just checked out Blood Ceremony, it sounds okay but nothing mind blowing. It made me think more Jethro Tull meets Black Widow than doom though!
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devoured Death wrote:
Jex Thoth is great!

I just checked out Blood Ceremony, it sounds okay but nothing mind blowing. It made me think more Jethro Tull meets Black Widow than doom though!

yeah the flute gets to be a little too much...
Chit019

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood ceremony is ok, I think that's their point, to sound as much as black widow or coven. Now only if their vocalist would pose nude just like jinx.

she should just blow my flute tho.
ultrasickmegaueberscum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jex Thoth (+ looking for recommendations) Reply with quote

templedclxvi wrote:
I fell in love with this woman Shocked . absolutely breathtaking moments with this music, such nice tranquility amidst all the bestial hate raging from the speakers daily.

haha this is exactly what i thought, when i discovered them 2 weeks ago. beautiful women with axes and a so lovely voice kinda get their grip on me. the part from "equinox suite", when her voice goes up for that short moment .... and yeah, true remark, it's a nice contrast to the overall thundering rage
Caina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
Endless Morbidity wrote:

THE DEVIL'S BLOOD are awesome. They're totally sincere about it. They capture that "retro" sound better than all these bands while sounding a bit modern, and they do it without being pretentious and dressing like it's 1975.

Spilling blood all over your face, posting pictures of it on myspace, and playing 70's occult music isn't "totally sincere" in my book.

They write incredible songs and have a great overall 'sound', isn't that a bit more important than some largely superficial aesthetic hang-ups? Try as I might, I can't really get into that Blood Ceremony record. It just reminds me of Rob Burgundy playing 'yazz floote' in Anchorman.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:
Endless Morbidity wrote:

They write incredible songs and have a great overall 'sound', isn't that a bit more important than some largely superficial aesthetic hang-ups? Try as I might, I can't really get into that Blood Ceremony record. It just reminds me of Rob Burgundy playing 'yazz floote' in Anchorman.

Blood Ceremony sounds okay, but it just didn't grip me at all.

Black Mountain's (second album) is well worth checking out for anyone into Jex Thoth.

Last edited by Devoured Death on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with THE DEVIL'S BLOOD, is that they don't seem to be a "retro" band. To me, they're a modern rock band with old influences. They don't get their wardrobe in thrift shops either. I'd rather use them cover themselves in blood (a move I think just goes hand-in-hand with their name), then try and convince themselves and others that it's 1969. Of course they just write good songs too.

BLOOD CEREMONY to me are use emulators. They're as genuine as an Elvis impersonator.

WITCHCRAFT are good, but they're another one with the fake "let's pretend it's not 2009" shit. But at least they got the tunes too and are good at it. They seem to be really into it too, not hipster kids.
Caina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the first Witchcraft album is really excellent, they kind of lost me after that though. Plus, like you said, their Wishbone Ash meets Pentagram wardrobe turns me off a bit. All that wool...

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: