P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Labels: Reviews of your releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because #1 has only interviews and #2 has reviews in Polish, so some copies that were sent to people who don't know Polish simply don't feature the pages with the reviews.

My 2 cents - personally I send a copy of the zine to every band I decide to interview, since these are either bands I'm a fan of (and it's an honor for me that they agreed to answer my interviews and enjoy reading my zine) or young bands I enjoy, who sent me their stuff in advance.
Since I trade my zine with many labels and get the stuff they release for the zine - I review what I get (I don't ask for stuff of bands I can't stand at all) - they can see the reviews once the next issue is out, when we trade again.
If I get a pro-cd from a band for review - I also send a copy of the zine back. If a band contacts me and asks if I want a cd-r for review - I have no problem to review it, but I won't send a copy of my zine in return, simply because I don't have the money to send it to every band that wants to send a promo.

Regressive Rape MetalPunk: WWW.HEINOUS.BANDCAMP.COM
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Because #1 has only interviews and #2 has reviews in Polish, so some copies that were sent to people who don't know Polish simply don't feature the pages with the reviews.

First version of #1 was in polish and comes with about 75 reviews + some gig reports/articles, later released also english version casue many people ask for. I think all details was added laso to introductions in both issues. Foregin labels gets DOOM#2 without "polish" pages since its senless - this is not about wrost or better version, just english or english/polish. Hope now its clear.
www.doomzine.bandcamp.com
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Labels: Reviews of your releases Reply with quote

gabalgabow wrote:
This is a question to NWN and other labels on this board who send promos of their releases to receive reviews...

How do you do to read all the reviews?
Every zine makers don't send back the reviews, and sometimes its not easy to track things down...

If it was published on the web it's ok, you only have to search google... But when it's in a paper zine it's harder! Some zines take time to be published and you aren't always in touch with every one (And can't order every zine)... Of course I don't ask them to send a free copy, but some don't write a letter either...

So have you got a special tip to receive the reviews? How do you generally do to be able to read the most of it?

I keep a list of the names and addresses of the zines I send promos to, that makes it allot easier to keep tabs on things.

My suggestion is to write the zine first and establish communication with them before sending them a promo. Also, keep in mind that zines with few issues, ones just starting up and print zines are more of a risk since there‘s no telling what they‘re going to do or if a new issue will ever actually materialize. It's a gamble though in any case. You’re not always guaranteed a review, even from a reputable magazine. But, someone or something with clout can also be hugely influential on how others perceive your music- a favorable review of your material, by Metal Maniacs for instance, can generate a positive outcome and increase sales of your release (as I've discovered time and time again).

So, be aware of who you're sending promos to and keep conservative about it.

Go brush your doll's hair.
sztorm75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Fire wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

First version of #1 was in polish and comes with about 75 reviews + some gig reports/articles, later released also english version casue many people ask for. I think all details was added laso to introductions in both issues. Foregin labels gets DOOM#2 without "polish" pages since its senless - this is not about wrost or better version, just english or english/polish. Hope now its clear.

I am sure it will be a great fun to read your reviews only:) Of what is good and what is wrost Very Happy
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, anyone seen any Coprofagi reviews about?
gabalgabow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Just curious, anyone seen any Coprofagi reviews about?

Not yet,
Maybe I'll write one but as always it will take time...

Try to shake Dave Devour for he writes a review on his webzine, I know he got a copy Wink
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats his e-mail? PM me if you like?
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sztorm75 wrote:
Black_Fire wrote:
Werewolf wrote:

I am sure it will be a great fun to read your reviews only:) Of what is good and what is wrost Very Happy

Cool, another WORST misspeling in my post
If you wish I can send you some of my reviews or even whole zine.

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Coprofagi

Will be in DOOM#3 and belive also in Vaginalluftwafe#3 (or smth), cause gave one copy to the editor.

Last edited by Black_Fire on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morphic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of my guidelines when buying albums were: read reviews from mainstream oriented webzines and see what they don't like, that works fine for me. just like when fartarean desire bash sadistik exekution back then, they gave kaos 1/10 and I was like, wow, this must be a great new album!!!
Professor Black

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send like 10-15 promos per release, to writers who place things in various zines/sites.

Word of mouth still rules all. people trust their friends and drinking mates more than some unknown writer. I focus on making sure the releases are easy to find for the people who do decide to buy.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Fire wrote:
Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Coprofagi

Will be in DOOM#3 and belive also in Vaginalluftwafe#3 (or smth), cause gave one copy to the editor.

Alright then cheers. Is Virginallufwafe English written? I'll be on the lookout for them.

Also if I remember right you said you were going to include English translations of the reviews now, right?
Black_Fire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Black_Fire wrote:
Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Coprofagi

Alright then cheers. Is Virginallufwafe English written? I'll be on the lookout for them.

Also if I remember right you said you were going to include English translations of the reviews now, right?

No translations, just writen in english this time. Vaginalluftwaffe is in polish.
snaps666

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep a list of the magz I sent stuff to / traded with, and then buy (or trade again) them whenever there's a new issue out.

Ofcourse all bands featured in our mag gets a free copy or two.

But what do you think about sites that agree on doing a review, but just never get it done?
Ofcourse if you just sent out stuff random, then you can not expect every zine or site to do the review, but if you have an agreement beforehand, I think it's pretty lousy not to do the review.

http://www.deadbangers.com/prestashop/en/
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any sort of agreement with people to do a review, all people who got them either traded for them or paid me. I was just wondering if someone took the initiative.
Evil_Invader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask the editor to send the review and I make a list of what I sent just like Wilhelm. Makes things a lot easier!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: