P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

question about zine prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
avrlabel



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 3447

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats total truth.Fucking new bands dont use the flyers and all promotion of their music they based on fucking myspace.And I really dont like when I received the Cd-r instead of tape.Yes it still can be founded some good and interesting band that have demo on CD-r but please do it on tape.Yes its hard to dubb 100 tapes ,but show dedication in what you work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellfire Commando



Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 2236
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntoTheAbyss wrote:
Bad thing about Morbid Tales zine is that zine had too many "myGAYspace" bands featured which are unknown and came out of nowhere. There are less and less demo flyers these days....


Can you name a few? I know Blood Ceremony is one - (back then, I was so excited about the fact that they were canadian doom that I had to interview them) but besides that - I don't see other bands that got popular with myspace. Maybe I'm wrong. Enlighten me please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Guest






PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avrlabel wrote:
Yes thats total truth.Fucking new bands dont use the flyers and all promotion of their music they based on fucking myspace.And I really dont like when I received the Cd-r instead of tape.Yes it still can be founded some good and interesting band that have demo on CD-r but please do it on tape.Yes its hard to dubb 100 tapes ,but show dedication in what you work.


For me the medium doesn't matter much when it comes to a demo- CDrs are more convenient/easier to ship (and you can make more of them in very little time too), however, I tend to prefer tapes because of the nostalgia + CDrs scratch easily/fuck up with very little abuse.
Back to top
avrlabel



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 3447

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Cd-r easy for shiping but it can be destroyed after two listenings.Thats shitty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IntoTheAbyss
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you name a few? I know Blood Ceremony is one - (back then, I was so excited about the fact that they were canadian doom that I had to interview them) but besides that - I don't see other bands that got popular with myspace. Maybe I'm wrong. Enlighten me please.[/quote]

I think I read an issue of yours (are you one of the editors?), becuase later I felt a bit down becuase of the myspace bands or related contents. That's the same feeling when I read the other new zine called "Thrash Attack". I don't say that this truly sucks or whaterver, but I just feel sceptic when it comes to zines these days that using "too much Internet stuffs"...

I remember that I also didn't like the re-print CELTIC FROST interview in the last "Tales of the Macabre" zine becuase it's already appeared in VFTD website.
Back to top
Hellfire Commando



Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 2236
Location: Montréal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntoTheAbyss wrote:
Can you name a few? I know Blood Ceremony is one - (back then, I was so excited about the fact that they were canadian doom that I had to interview them) but besides that - I don't see other bands that got popular with myspace. Maybe I'm wrong. Enlighten me please.


I think I read an issue of yours (are you one of the editors?), becuase later I felt a bit down becuase of the myspace bands or related contents. That's the same feeling when I read the other new zine called "Thrash Attack". I don't say that this truly sucks or whaterver, but I just feel sceptic when it comes to zines these days that using "too much Internet stuffs"...

I remember that I also didn't like the re-print CELTIC FROST interview in the last "Tales of the Macabre" zine becuase it's already appeared in VFTD website.[/quote]

Yup, I'm "Satannick"... one of the editors. It's always nice to hear feedback whenever it's negative or positive. Most of the 'zines were created pre-myspace - except for the last issue. In any case, it's too bad that you were "down" because of its contents. It's your loss, anyway. If you want, private message me and we will talk about it further.

Ps. Sabbat, Blasphemy, Impaler, Anvil, Cloven Hoof, Watain, Tinieblas, Witches Hammer, Toxic Holocaust, Disflesh, Exciter, Wino (The Obsessed, the Hidden Hand, Saint Vitus), Reverend Bizarre, Vulcain, Countess, Rammer, Apokalyptic Raids, Onslaught, Slaughter, Sacrifice, Sodom, Celtic Frost, Dream Death, Black Death, Devastation (ex-Yu), Midnight, Maniac, Witchtrap and Ares Kingdom...

Do these bands sound like "myspace-related-bands" to anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kapalika



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 2433
Location: Germoney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note on the "myspace" problem - one should really NOT equate any band using myspace with "Job For A Cowboy", if you know what I mean.

Playing in a band myself, I was more than sceptical about that platform as well.
In the end, it is just a tool which can be put to good use... think of it as an extension to a website, like a pop-up player.

Of course it attracts some "casual listeners" as well but who cares...

As for the VFTD content being reproduced in Tales...

I also understand that criticism but not everybody has internet access and those features belong on paper I think hehe. Try reading the interview on the toilet for example, haha.
One or two of my reviews I did there also ended up in the recent edition of Necromaniac zine, why not...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IntoTheAbyss
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
IntoTheAbyss wrote:
Can you name a few? I know Blood Ceremony is one - (back then, I was so excited about the fact that they were canadian doom that I had to interview them) but besides that - I don't see other bands that got popular with myspace. Maybe I'm wrong. Enlighten me please.


I think I read an issue of yours (are you one of the editors?), becuase later I felt a bit down becuase of the myspace bands or related contents. That's the same feeling when I read the other new zine called "Thrash Attack". I don't say that this truly sucks or whaterver, but I just feel sceptic when it comes to zines these days that using "too much Internet stuffs"...

I remember that I also didn't like the re-print CELTIC FROST interview in the last "Tales of the Macabre" zine becuase it's already appeared in VFTD website.


Yup, I'm "Satannick"... one of the editors. It's always nice to hear feedback whenever it's negative or positive. Most of the 'zines were created pre-myspace - except for the last issue. In any case, it's too bad that you were "down" because of its contents. It's your loss, anyway. If you want, private message me and we will talk about it further.

Ps. Sabbat, Blasphemy, Impaler, Anvil, Cloven Hoof, Watain, Tinieblas, Witches Hammer, Toxic Holocaust, Disflesh, Exciter, Wino (The Obsessed, the Hidden Hand, Saint Vitus), Reverend Bizarre, Vulcain, Countess, Rammer, Apokalyptic Raids, Onslaught, Slaughter, Sacrifice, Sodom, Celtic Frost, Dream Death, Black Death, Devastation (ex-Yu), Midnight, Maniac, Witchtrap and Ares Kingdom...

Do these bands sound like "myspace-related-bands" to anyone?[/quote]

I was talking about your last issue.
Back to top
IntoTheAbyss
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kapalika wrote:
Just a quick note on the "myspace" problem - one should really NOT equate any band using myspace with "Job For A Cowboy", if you know what I mean.

Playing in a band myself, I was more than sceptical about that platform as well.
In the end, it is just a tool which can be put to good use... think of it as an extension to a website, like a pop-up player.

Of course it attracts some "casual listeners" as well but who cares...

As for the VFTD content being reproduced in Tales...

I also understand that criticism but not everybody has internet access and those features belong on paper I think hehe. Try reading the interview on the toilet for example, haha.
One or two of my reviews I did there also ended up in the recent edition of Necromaniac zine, why not...


Honestly I against the things like interviews (that already appeared in websites) been released in a paper zine. I dislike this kind of style! I'm conservative Metal freak.

I keep all my fanzines really properly (my precious treasure!). Never read 'em in toilet, but you're the one who often read zines in toilet, haha!

p/s Maybe when you're out of toilet tissue you might use those zines to wipe your ass Laughing !
Back to top
Kapalika



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 2433
Location: Germoney

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah, no, I wouldn´t use any of my zines to wipe my ass - the paper is too shiny and the shit won´t stick, haha! Very Happy

As I said, I understand your opinion even though I am not so strict about that.

By the way, anybody wants to get rid of Voices From The Darkside issues Nr 2 and Nr, 4? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Kingdom



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 1497

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
I know Blood Ceremony is one - (back then, I was so excited about the fact that they were canadian doom that I had to interview them) but besides that - I don't see other bands that got popular with myspace.


No, they didn't... BC got popular because of ME, not because of myspace. They used ME. They used you too.... just remember that.
_________________
http://store.shadowkingdomrecords.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Endless Morbidity



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 2108
Location: New York

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you discover a band through a 'zine, you wouldn't call them a MySpace band. But how many 'zines actually exist these days and how many actually read them? There is a bit of a foolish fatalism in writing a band off just because your first introduction to them was through MySpace. I found Portrait through MySpace and decided to write a short article on them. Why? Because I'm almost certain very little has been written about them in print and I felt that was a shame.

But I do understand some take this MySpace shit too far and are basically whores with it. I do know some bands, if not most, wouldn't be shit without it too.

I also dislike when there is www.whatever.com all over a fanzine. I decided for mine, that I will only include email addresses for bands. I didn't want to do even that at first, but I felt like it was an inconvenience for the bands not to and limiting for them.

I do feel "the underground" is dead and basically just being play acted by most people, but I don't see this as an excuse to take part in nonsense like MySpace, webzines, ect.

I've taken down the short-lived page I had for EM, will include no web addresses in it and will no longer "promote" it on any forums from this point on. Not because I want to "keep it underground", but because I just want to be an exception at this point and let everyone else bother with being internet scene queens. Enough people have shown interest at this point to where I no longer need to go too public with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IntoTheAbyss
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
If you discover a band through a 'zine, you wouldn't call them a MySpace band. But how many 'zines actually exist these days and how many actually read them? There is a bit of a foolish fatalism in writing a band off just because your first introduction to them was through MySpace. I found Portrait through MySpace and decided to write a short article on them. Why? Because I'm almost certain very little has been written about them in print and I felt that was a shame.

But I do understand some take this MySpace shit too far and are basically whores with it. I do know some bands, if not most, wouldn't be shit without it too.

I also dislike when there is www.whatever.com all over a fanzine. I decided for mine, that I will only include email addresses for bands. I didn't want to do even that at first, but I felt like it was an inconvenience for the bands not to and limiting for them.

I do feel "the underground" is dead and basically just being play acted by most people, but I don't see this as an excuse to take part in nonsense like MySpace, webzines, ect.

I've taken down the short-lived page I had for EM, will include no web addresses in it and will no longer "promote" it on any forums from this point on. Not because I want to "keep it underground", but because I just want to be an exception at this point and let everyone else bother with being internet scene queens. Enough people have shown interest at this point to where I no longer need to go too public with it.


These days there are only handful of paper zines (which I'm still aware off) who do promotion through flyers such as Necrosope, Black Blood, Deadhead, Satanik Metal, Daemonic Majesty, etc...You need to establish letter contacts to get the information of them!

Actually the underground scene today is more accesible (Internet), therefore lots of things used to be "underground" can be heard/read easily by other parties who don't even have a clue what underground is (especially kids). Damn!!!!
Back to top
avrlabel



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 3447

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my zine I really rarely put the web-site as a contact for band.Myspace contacts I will never put in it.Just snail and e-mail address.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Endless Morbidity



Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 2108
Location: New York

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah things are more accessible, yet I bet a band like Deathspell Omega sells less records than Blasphemy did during the 90's. Even with all the mainstream press they have gotten and wide distribution.

I heard "Fallen Angel of Doom" sold thousands in only it's first week of release.

These new people don't buy records, they download them. There is no underground anymore and there isn't such a thing as being big today. There is a difference between being "big" and being commercial garbage. But today,anyone can throw up a MySpace page and become "big" over night. It's all meaningless.

Underground arguments mean nothing today. I've come to learn the people who champion it the most are more interested in belonging to an exclusive social club than the Metal it's self and values it upholds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group