P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Pink Fairies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stampoutdisco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Pink Fairies Reply with quote

Really been getting into this band, alot of the hippy jams loose me, but songs like Teenage rebel, and Do It are total headbanging early metal. Mates with hawkwind i beleive

Anyone recommend other 60's rockers or know much about them???
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember lemmy was involved with this band.
krawling kaos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the Pinks were 70s; from that great time when the remnants of the London hippies had given up on the peace and love, leaving just the sex, drugs, and nihilism. They were kind of a super group of all the various outcasts that stuck with the scene instead of becoming business men. The original band was born out of the ashes of a group called the Deviants; though this band didn't rock nearly as hard (their 3rd album's decent). Larry Wallis, (supposedly guitarist of UFO before being replaced by Michael Schenker), lead them on the "Kings of Oblivion" lp, then went on to form a band called Motorhead with some spun hippy who'd just got kicked out of Hawkwind for a drug charge. That's why "City Kids" is on the original MH, but not on the version that was first released (after Fast Eddie Clark took over guitar).

Anyway, there's tons of killer 70s hard rock bands like that (related and not). Check out the May Blitz, Groundhogs ("Split"), Flower Travelling Band ("Satori" stands up to any early Sabbath album!), Human Instinct ("Stoned Guitar"), Lucifer's Friend (first album only), so many more... If y're looking for something more obscure, look for JPT Scare Band, Sanban No San, Gedo, Randy Holden, Lincoln St. Exit, Shiver (from San Francisco, not the Swiss band)
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree on the mayblitz lp
and the flower traveling band as well!
cannibal_riot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a massive fan of the Pink Fairies along with tons of late 60's/early 70's heavy rock, you should also check out he Deviants, especially '3' they were pre Pink Fairies with Mick Farren on vocals, his book, Give The Anarchist A Cigarette is a great insight into this era.
I can also highly recommend Groundhogs 'Split', Twink 'Think Pink' early Edgar Broughton Band LP's, Amon Duul 'Yeti' and 'Phallus Dei', Guru Guru 'UFO', Stray 1st LP, some Quintessence although they tend to be a bit drippy hippy, T2 'It Will All Work Out In Boomland' Scorpions 'Lonesome Crow', Pretty Things 'SF Sorrow', most King Crimson but especially 'Larks Tongues In Aspic', the list goes on.... oh, and of course Hawkwind, the Lemmy era being indispensible...

Last edited by cannibal_riot on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
cannibal_riot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Dark 'Round The Edges' a ludicrously rare and expensive LP, (£1800+ for an original, apparently only 35 or so copies were pressed!) but has some KILLER fuzz guitar, Akarma in Italy did a great reissue some years back, well worth checking out.
Bestial Devastator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESECRATOR777 wrote:
i remember lemmy was involved with this band.

It was not Lemmy, but Larry Wallis who also was in the first Motörhead line-up
tomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah recommending old hard/psych rock!!!

Check out these guys:
Bang - s/t (at some moments very black sabbathian!)
High Tide - Sea Shanties LP (the first song is HEAVY)
Iron Claw
The Firebirds (studio musicians doing psych stuff, Cream and Blue Cheer worship)
31 Flavors (Same band as Firebirds, check out the song 'Distortions Of Darkness': heaviest 60s fuzz I've ever heard, sounds like something from Earth's Pentastar LP)
Sainte Anthony's Fyre - s/t (heavy basement hardrock)
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bang is great
so is buffalo from oz
stampoutdisco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the help, Im going to try and trackdown some of this stuff, have any idea where to get the Mick farren book??
Did a search on amazon, and it seems he is quite a prolific sci fi writer but couldn't find give the anarchist a cigarette.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: