P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

SLAYER MAGAZINE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Putrefaction #3-6. My pal has also Thanatography (Italy) issues. I remember there were some cool Beherit and Tormentor pictures. Shall we go through each god-damn fanzine here on Slayer thread? Smile
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? Very Happy
passetiermes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this to be the nostalgic yet retarded zine thread-----> I just spent 78 euros to get five zines from ebay seller (Hammer of Damnation 1&3, Isten 5&6, A Thousand Years). Now I feel like an idiot, but what else is new. Thanks for the hint Deadskin.
Opinions on Oaken Throne? Well written and professional, but also a bit boring to read in my opinion. Lacking in personality/distinctive style when it comes to writing.
Kapalika

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be glad, be VERY glad I decided to stop bidding on those relatively early. Wink
Missed the issue of VFTD as well... gah.

I agree concerning Oaken Throne.
While the visual presentation is top notch and the choice of bands fairly interesting, the writing style does not live up to the expectations.
It is neither energetic/passionate nor intellectual (if one has to decide between these poles) enough to make a lasting impression, too bad.
I also dislike the way the interviews are structured.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger! I never saw that! I wanted Hammer of Damnation and Isten!!!
passetiermes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auction was on Ebay Germany. I had to ask permission from the seller to bid because at first he intended to keep it among the Germans...
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see! Rolling Eyes
Kapalika

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody here got VFTD issue 4 from that guy?
I would love to get a .pdf from that one (also issue 2) rather than shelling out my hard earned money.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember previous mention of some website trying to scan in old zines.

Anyone interested in perhaps starting a project to put loads of old zines up online as PDFs for those too young or poor to have missed out. I am of course only talking old zines, would be a little unfair on zines still going or who have just released something...
deadskin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="passetiermes"]Consider this to be the nostalgic yet retarded zine thread-----> I just spent 78 euros to get five zines from ebay seller (Hammer of Damnation 1&3, Isten 5&6, A Thousand Years). Now I feel like an idiot, but what else is new. Thanks for the hint Deadskin.
quote]

Very Happy no problem, bought only Witchcraft zine and missed Isten Crying or Very sad

next time

zines threads were always underrated so let's make this one interesting.
MAYHEM „Life eternal” VINYL
THORNS "Societé Anonyme" & "Embrace / Fragment"
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I always love threads like this, especially when someone puts up nice pictures of past zines and interviews!!!
deadskin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all Denial of God maniacs

deadskin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passetiermes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview of Costa Stoios/Tales of the Macabre zine, meant to be published in the second issue of Shadow Dancing zine, which was never published. I made this sometime during 96 or 97 after the #3 issue of Tales of the Macabre was published. Wrote this down from his hand written answers---->typos do exists you know...

Tales of the Macabre seems to be quite wellknown all over the world. Reasons for the success besides the " I have done hard work bla bla"?

-I am not as expensive as most of the other zines (especially from Scandinavia) haha! But the main reason probably is the fact that quality and honesty always pays out (sooner or later). When people lay their hands on Tales of the Macabre, they can be sure to get some value for their money.
The magazine isnīt specialized on one musical style (say northern Black Metal) only...itīs a mag dedicated to all kinds of metal. And in contrary to other zines I done to present bands that hail from not so known countries when it comes to metal...like Singapore, Czech Republic etc... cause metal is a worldwide phenomenon.
I always try to make an original choice of known and unknown bands, so that there is a certain balance. And you can be sure that Iīm not one of those asslicker-editors, Iīm really not afraid to say my real opinion about bands etc.
One of the most important reasons for Tales of the Macabre being different than most of the other zines is that I support bands because of their music and definitely not because of a certain image.
Those who just try to get some attention because of their image can fuck off...at the end only those will survive who are able to convince the metal fans with nothing but good quality music.

What would be your dream come true concerning Tales of the Macabre, to get an Celtic Frost interview? Have you managed to get the interviews you wanted to? Which is coming first; Issue of Tales with a sweet pop band interviewed or third world war?

-Hard question! Yeah, it really was a dream to do an interview with Tom Warrior, but now this dream comes true, cause I`ve managed to get in contact with him for #4!!! He was so kind and put his signature on the front cover of my last issue which is a great thing for me.
No I havenīt managed to get all interviews from those bands I like...I simply canīt get an interview with Wagner Antichrist from Sarcofago for unknown reasons. And it would be interesting to attack Carpathian Forest with my questions, even if they are known for being fucking rip offs, but those guys donīt do interviews at all.
It would be fantastic to get in touch with Steve "Sheepdog" McLaren, Razorīs old vocalist, cause Razor belongs to one of my favourite metal bands ever. That would be one of my dreams for Tales of the Macabre!
Paul Balloff (first Exodus singer) would also be interesting as his voice was really insane, but I really doubt to get in touch with him.
To answer the last part of your neckbreaking question: Usually I wanted to keep this secrect, but I have to confess that I plan to put a Army of Lovers-poster in my next issue, so that all you horny metalheads have the chance to use Tales... as a masturbation-help, arrrgh!

You seem to pay attention to the layout and visual side of things. How important it is for you to have a pro-printed magazine? What are the basic elements of a good zine?

-Layout is very important! I spend a hell lot of time in drawing frames and stuff because I prefer handicrafts. Computer layout may be nice, but itīs something very unpersonal ... and in 2-3 years every little fool is able to do good layout with the help of a computers, so this wonīt be anything special or original in the future. So I use the computer for typewriting only...the rest is personal art.
And if you work hard on a mag, then of course you like to see it professionally printed. If you have an edition of 1500 copies, then it wouldnīt be clever to xerox your zine anyway, would it?
Basic elements of a good zine are: Love to the music, honest opinion, a certain background/knowledge, originality, cheap price.

You are very critical towards nazi-bands. Where do you think this "true aryan" attitude originates from? You have a rigid anti-fascist approach, which you show in the zine often. Iīm with you on that, but there could be a point where it looses itīs "power" if repeated all the time in all the places...people might get bored with it. Are you afraid of this?

-Youīre absolutely right. But itīs a typical sign for todayīs (Black) Metal scene. Image gets more important than music, which is a total stupid thing, because when I buy a record, I want to hear great music right? Those who buy LPs/CDs just because the musicians have evil corpsepaint on photos, etc. are the true wimps of today.
I donīt really know whoīs responsible for this "true aryans" stuff...perhaps Count Crishnackh?!? Itīs of course no big surprise that black metal musicians now are getting into nazism, because itīs trendy to have an evil & extreme image, and you canīt deny that Nazism is something very extreme.
But if those guys are really into this aryan stuff, why donīt they play skinhead music? Especially Black Metal was meant to be unpolitical, have we forgotten this? Some people will say now that the third reich was a satanic thing, but thatīs bullshit. Satanism is older than just 50 years by the way.
If a person is really into metal, then he should always keep in mind that metal is an international cult... and what would all those Scandinavian bands be without the world- wide sales of albums? And Iīm sure that there are a lot of bands playing Black Metal just to make some quick bucks...but times will change soon, trust me!
Itīs not clever to repeat this anti-nazi propaganda again and again, because many get bores of it, as youīve said. The best thing to do is to boycott bands that support Nazism through their music.
Metal fans usually used to be rebels of freedom, and not hateful naziheads. This probably prooves that there a lot of people out there who donīt understand what metal is all about. You need more than long hair and hundreds of spikes & chains to be real metal!!!

"Just a kick on those who bury themselves in the past and never can accept fresh and new elements into music. Old music is great, but not an argument for not progressing." Quote from Messiahīs Underground album. What do you Costa think about those words written above? Asking this because you are true fan of 80s music. You also seem to hate bands who "wimped out" while others may look at it as a natural progression. Donīt you think the recent development of bands like Sentenced, Tiamat, Disgrace, Xysma or even Beherit could be just natural (r)evolution?

-This is a difficult topic. I have nothing against progression, but bandīs shouldnīt forget their roots/early days, because it was the old music which built up a bandīs success. Take Judas Priest or Manowar as examples; Both bands have progressed with the years, but you can still recognize them as Priest and Manowar.
Yes, I am a big fan of 80s music, but of course I also love some of the 90s music...itīs always easy for a musician to explain/excuse a certain change of style with the word "progression", but I think that a drastic change of style is a sign of betrayal. This results in a change of fans...the old ones kiss the band goodbuy while new fans start to support the new stuff. But there are of course some expections.
Messiahīs quote is ok, but itīs just an exuse if you ask me. What has the new Messiah stuff to do with Hymn To Abramelin? Not much, right. You can also change your sound, but never lose your deeply rooted identity.
Tiamatīs development was natural...you can hear this development from album to album. Beherit should have changed their name after Drawing Down the Moon, but I respect Holocaustoīs radical change of style as tredy Black Metal bands forced him to. Xysma, Disgrace? They never interested me too much...
and finally Sentenced: This is a total trendband to me. Just compare Amok to Shadows of the Past...this is a natural "trend evolution".
I donīt know why especially Finnish bands change their style so much...therefore I hail Barathrum for still playing wicked and extreme music, even if the majority of the metal fans donīt like their CDs at all. But this doesnīt mean that Finland hasnīt good bands if anybody has wondered. Anyone who knows my issues surely knows which bands I like!

How has your attitude changed during the years you have been involved? Has the zine making opened your eyes in any way? What lies behind this "80s were better" glorification?

-Well I canīt deny that making a zine helped me to see everything with more critical eyes. But everyone who is able to think for him/herself knows that there are a lot of things wrong in our so-called "underground". Too many labels and bands surely arenīt a good omen for a healthy scene.
And this is one of the differences between the 80s and the 90s. First of all, there werenīt as many albums coming out as today, even if there have been a touch too many releases in the 80s as well. This means that not every newcomer band was lucky to get an album deal very soon which was a good thing, because bands had the chance to develope their style and getting more skilled at their instruments.
Therefore I dare to say that the musicians were a lot better than most of todayīs metal warriors.... image wasnīt as important as it is now, but music was.
And you shouldnīt forget the fact that back in the 80s all the athmospheres were created by guitars, bass etc., as nearly nobody used synths effects back then. Nowadays itīs so easy to play music that carries a certain mood...you only have to play a simple drumrhythm (a la Burzum), some guitarrhythms and use 3-4 keyboard tones... and there you have your sounds.
But as this music can be created in a very simple way (if you want), there are too many bands sounding alike, and this surely hurts the general musical quality and originality!
But if you go back to the mid 80s, a time where bands were forced to create their style with real guitarriffs and not only rhythms, you can detect a lot of bands with a very own style...Venom, Hellhammer, Exodus, Megadeth, Razor, Kreator, Destruction, Slayer and many many more. Of course I canīt deny that many thrash bands were influenced by Venom and Slayer back then, but most of them did manage to have their own identity.
And especially this is missing nowadays. There are simply too many rip off-bands (in a musical sense) around, especially when it comes to northern black metal. Those who do not agree must be deaf!!! There were some bad 80s bands around as well, but at the end I dare to say that thereīs more quantity instead of quality now.
And another point for 80s-metal being better: When you go to concerts and a band starts to play old (thrash) rhythms, then thereīs much more headbanging when it comes to the crowdīs reaction. 80s-metal is definitely better live music than northern black metal a la Gorgoroth, Immortal, etc.
With the years I lost a bit of my enthusiasm when it comes to metal, because I got dissapointed too many times in the last couple of years. When you almost get bored by countless new releases that donīt excite you anymore, then something must be wrong...

Knowing that you like 80s music, what are the best 6 albums of the 90s so far?

-Itīs impossible to answer this one, because 6 years already went into the land of the 90s. But let me see... Judas Priest - Painkiller, Burzum - Burzum (brought back a certain cold feeling!!!), Root- Hell Symphony, Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Manowar - Triumph of Steel, Bathory - Twilight of the Gods. But I canīt forget to mention albums from Acheron (1st), Masterīs Hammer, etc... also the new Absu LP will be a classic!

Herve/Osmose believes that the 80s trashmetal is coming back again (and therefore he will start to sign trashbands). Whatīs your opinion on this, and is trashrevival mental orgasm to you?

-Not only thrash metal will come back, but also traditional heavy/power metal will rise from itīs grave. But I donīt believe that this new "trend" will be big, because itīs not easy for everyone to play good thrash metal as thrash isnīt too primitively played when it comes to guitars ( compared to black metal).
Yes, Herve started to sign thrash bands ...first result was Bewitched from Sweden who just rip off old bands` riffs and combine them together to a Bewitched song. Such kinds of bands I canīt take for seriously really. But there will be more some fine thrash albums in future, bands like Nifelheim, Absu, Despise etc., have the real old feeling in their music.
The only thing that still arenīt the right way are the vocals...most musicians still use these typical black metal vocals which became boring after hearing them in 500 different bands.
The return of the thrash would definitely be a mental orgasm of me when itīs done with the right feeling. But Iīm very sceptical...only time will tell.
But I think that most of todayīs fans still donīt know all the good thrashing albums of the past...so they should better try to get hold of old LPs from not so known bands like Violent Force, Exumer, Living Death, NME, Bulldozer, Destructor, Sacrifice, Hobbs, Excruciation, Flames, Whiplash, etc... youīll get those old LPs for cheap prices if you are lucky! There are a lot of great old bands to experience!!!

What is your opinion on the quality of zines nowadays?

-Most of the zines suck to be directly! There are too many bad zines around...Everybody claims to have the best zine, but reality looks different. There are a lot of editors who run a zine just to get some free promo-stuff, etc...which is a very sad thing.
The only good zines I know are Voices From the Darkside (Ger), Thatīs It (Ger), Holocaust (Pol). Other zines like Hammer of Damnation and Isten used to be great as well as the Dutch Mortician mag, but all those zines started to feature bands that I īm not too fond of. Itīs just a matter of personal taste...
And Slayer mag is great, but it takes Metallion years to release new issue, so I just canīt count his zine to my favourite ones. Unfortunately Iīve never seen Shadow Dancing, but your questions are very cool and sometimes difficult to answer which is a good sign.

What can you tell about the issue #4? Is it already in the making?

- Yes, it is in process! Await the arrival of #4 in October, and be ready for slaughter once again. I hope to have interviews with Root, Tom Warrior, Absu, Barathrum, Mortem (...the possesed return!!!!), Necronomicon, Ironsword (true heavy metal from Portugal) etc.etc....be surprised!
If people want to pre-order it, then send $5 (as usual) to my new address, and youīll get your copy as soon as the mag is out. You wonīt be disappointed!!! Metal till death!!!

Do you think death metal lyrics should deal only with the subjects that the word death relates to?

-I guess so, because death metal was meant to be something dark and obscure, just think of the early releases of Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Possessed, Bulldozer, Death. And dark death metal has always been the most popular one, just think of the second death metal generation with Morbid Angel, Autopsy, old Morgoth, etc. Itīs a kind of tradition!

You Germans are always complaining the quality of bands from your country. Is it really so bad as you want us to believe?

-The German scene is really not too great. We have 80 million people living here, and thereby only a handfull of good bands. And Germany is the best market for extreme metal album sales!!!
But the situation is getting better...Best band is Desaster, check out their LP/CD. Other good bands are Ungod, Eminenz ,etc. and some newcomer bands like Impending Doom or Secrets of the Moon. To be honest I donīt know all German bands, so I might have forgotten some good ones.
But Germany is very susceptible for trends ( also for trendsales) and so are tha bands. Some bands try to copy norse hordes, others canīt play and try to sell image instead...Here are a lot of poseurs around, sad but true!
We also have a kind of loser circle here, called Teutonic Brotherhood, a bondage of people who "wanna be somebody" (to quote an old W.A.S.P. song) once in their poor life. They send out lists with death threats, and they claim being Nazis, etc...What the hell has this in common with music? Their names are (as far as I know) Absurd, Mörke, No Colours Records, Fjell, Viking Force zine, Malicious Records, etc...Really "the true elite", heh? Hahaha...
Itīs sad for me that the old German scene with Destruction, Sodom, Iron Angel, Kreator, etc. has no real heirs...

If you could meet the guys of Celtic Frost, what kind of meeting would that be?

-If I really could meet the man with the heaviest riffs, Tom G. Warrior, well, I would chain him up and torture him until he agrees to release all those unreleased Hellhammer songs that seem to rot somewhere in Mr. Warriors catacombs, haha...
passetiermes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for the issue #20, hereīs an interview of the man:

http://www.carnagedeathmetal.de/carnage/oldschool/interviews/SlayerMag_2008.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: