P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Interview with ATTACKER (Usa)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Exhumator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Interview with ATTACKER (Usa) Reply with quote

An interview with this old band ... Only available in Spanish, add in English so they can read ....

Interview ATTACKER

1-Arrgghhh!!! Is a great honor to have the band in our pages. It’s been many years and without doubts records like “Battle At Helms Deep” and “The Second Coming” were pieces really worthy of having in your collection nowadays. Ok, let’s start this interview with you telling us about how did you do in you tour conquering Europe.

Michael: Let me start by saying thank you for this opportubity to spread the word of Attacker! Europe was a blast, we always have a great time there. The fans are fantastic and the friends we have made are too numerous to count. We can't wait to return again. The Keep it True X festival was awesome, 2 days of new and classic bands. Judging by the crowd reaction, we did extremermely well.[/size]
2- Keeping in mind that many of the readers of this zine have no fucking idea about the band’s course through all these years we have to ask the same usual and boring shit. We know that the band is born in 1983 and two years later you release your first LP “Battle at Helms Deep”. Can you go back in time and tell us about the beginning and how did you give life to the first record? Back then, What motivated you to create the band under the Attacker monicker?

Michael: We had just gotten our song, "(Call On) The Attacker on the Metal Massacre 5 compilation from Metal Blade Records in 1984, that led to the offer for a full album.
We had already written most of the songs and probably finished them by summer of 1984. We started the recording in the fall of 1984 and completed it in the spring of 1985.It was released in sept. 1985. We were actually called "Warloc" early on but changed due to the German "Warlock" in late 1983. The Attacker name came from the (Call On)the Attacker song we already had.

3- Back then Metal was at its height. How was the response to the first record from the Metal fans of those years? By the way, Did you have in mind since the first record the musical style of the band?

Michel: We had gotten very positive responses to the record. It was a very origianl album and really did not sound like the typical metal of the time. We did not really set out to have a certain direction for the album, it just took it's own form as we developed as musicians.

4- Alter three years, you release a second album entitled “The Second Coming”, in the period between the first and second record What was the band dedicated to? A lot of live shows? With which bands did you like to play?
Michael: We had let Bob go after the 1st record and found John Leone to replace him. We basically set out to work on the 2nd album songs. We had done so shows with Saxon, Savatage, Hades jst to name a few at that time. We really enjoyed playing with any band had cool people in it's membership. I must say the Fates Warning were the coolest guys and we always had fun with thise guys.

5- You’ve had a lot of members that have passed through the band, many of them coming from bands like Jersey Dog, Hades and Sleepy Hollow. I guess you we’re friends with those bands. With which bands from that time did you like to have some drinks? Did you have any kind of trouble with any band?

Michael: Truthfully, except for Lou(bass) who came from Hades, Jersey Dogs and Sleepy Hollow were formed from the ashes of Attacker once we disbanded. Yes, we were friends with these bands. We never had any problems and Jersey Dogs had even shared the stage with Sleepy Hollow at one point.

6- Since we’re talking about the subject of the bands of the surrounding circle of Attacker. Tell us How was the New Jersey scene when all began? Do you remember any anecdote? What do you think about bands like Heathen’s Rage, Phantom Lord, Exorcist, Devil Childe, Seven Witches y so many others? Do you enjoy the current Black and Death Metal bands from your city?

Michael: Back in the early 80's, it was very exciting time, metal was just getting popular and there were plenty of clubs to play. I honestly, except for Seven Witches, am not too familiar with the other bands. I am not really a fan of black and death metal. I just never understood what was so great about them, no good vocalists, extremely negative and disturbing themes, not what I'm interested in.

7- You claim to be the first band using J. R. R. Tolkien writings as an inspiration for your album. What did you like about those books? Many Black Metal bands are inspirited by those texts too… In which way did Tolkien inspire your way of working the lyric concept?

Michael: Those books just have such great imagery. They make the imagaination wander with such great tales and it is no wonder so many have looked to them for inspiration. Bob actually wrote the lyrics on that album, so I don't know excatly what was going on in his head exactly.
8- We’re aware that you’ll participate in a huge festival where you’ll share stage with bands like Omen, Razor, Sentinel Beast, Manilla Road, HelStar, Titan Force, Metal Inquisitor, etc. How does the band feel about being invited to these king of events? Can you tell us how is a festival this big? How does the band prepare? Do you take a lot of merchandising for your tours?

Michael: It is a great feeling to be invited to such an event. We had played the same festival 4 years earlier and this years was the 10th edition. The promoters had asked back some of the bands that had appeared before to return. It is not as big as some of the other Euro fests, but that is what makes it great. It has a unique atmosphere and is really like a big family, you always see many of the same people time after time and that is great. We prepeare as for any show, as much rehearsal as we can to make sure the show goes off with no problems. We take what we feel we will sell for these events, at a festival you are competeing with 18 or 19 other bands for merchandise sales so you don't bring too much.

9- We guess that most of you are married, have kids and a wife that gives you problems when you have a long tour. What do your families think about the way you make music and about the public that follow you? A lot of alcohol and hot women after the shows? What is most complicated when having to split your time among the band and your personal and family life?

Michael: No one has any problems like this fortunately. We do not do lomg tours since we all have regular jobs to pay the bills. We have our families travel with us so we turn into one huge family on the road and we always have a great time. So, not much alcohol or women after the shows. I guess having enough time off of our work is the hardest thing to organize for us.

10- Alter the great record “The Second Coming” the splitted up… What happened back then? What caused the split up after that great record? Is there anything that you would change of the history you’ve had to live?

Michael: The reason really wa that thrash metal was the popular style and Attacker was not thrash, especially wit the higher range vocals. We just decided it ws time to move on to ther things. I think history happens as it does for a reason and I would rakther not try to change it, just accept was had transpired.

11- Attacker was buried for about 16 years… I understand that Only Bob Mitchell, who was the vocalist in your first album, went on with bands like Alchemy X and his own band called Vyndykator. What happened with the other members of Attacker? Did you continue into Metal with other bands we’re not aware of?

Michael: I did not do too much until the mid 90's when I started an Accept tribute band. That got me enjoying the old school stuff again. The other guys really did not do anythting that I am aware of.

12- Alter Mitchell’s departure John Leone comes in as vocalist, who was in charge of recording the voices in the demo ’86 and the second LP “The Second Coming” How was the reclusion process when Mitchell left the band? What do you think about the job done by Jhon after all these years you’ve worked with him?

Michael: We had John after a relatively short time and he fit right in with us. The job he did on that album was and still is absolutely amazing.

13- Sadly, in the year 94 the Metal scene loses a great singer. How did you live this painful event? Under which circumstances did Jhon die? Do you think that he would have been in the band nowadays if he was still alive?

Michael: I had gotten the news after he had already passed away and it was a real shock to rest of us. He was a really nice guy. I was told he had cancer and that caused his death. If he were still here, he would have definitely been back in the band before Bob.

14-Since I mentioned the Demo ’86 Can you tell us about your first demo from the 84 too? The one you edited with Mitchell and I think you self financed it. How was the distribution of these demos? Were these only for promotional use? Did they have any layout?

Michael: We had decided to record 3 songs with our own money and see what kind of response we would get. We sent them to all the magazines and fanzines and sold many from the reviews we had received. They were not very fancy, just a cassette tape with the songs written on it. Very bare bones!

15- In the year 2004, alter some concerts and after announcing the band was back, yo release a third album entitled “Soul Taker” How was all this work for you after all the inactive time with ATTACKER? Have you ever thought about keeping the same line for your musical performance? Can you tell us about the musical and lyrical differences that you may recognize between the old and current stuff ?

Michael: It was a lot of fun getting back and playing some older songs, I think we really needed his to happen. We had been away from the band and each other for too long. Musically, the songs just flowed naturally and we did not have to think about the style, it was just there. I think that album was really a combination of the 2 first records, something that has been mentioned by reviewers many times over.

16- How did this record do? Have you seen a lot of changes in the nowadays Heavy Metal scene? Do you miss anything you’ve had to live as a band?

Michael: It did pretty well, most people are skeptical when older bands reunite, but we were recieved very well as a good reunion who stayed true to our roots. Todays metal scene for what we do is very small compared to the 80's, but we still have our fanbase out there. No, not at all. I don't think we have anything to miss.

17- Your beginning was with the label Metal Blade, they were in top of the Metal scene and edited a lot of records that are classics nowadays. How did you get to work with them? Michael: Have you though about working again with Metal Blade these days?

Michael: As I mentioned earlier, we started with theMteal Massare 5 compilation album and that led to the full album. I don'e think they would work with us since they are more a death metal label these days.

18- Regarding the previous question Did, being in one of the best Metal labels from the 80’s, give you an idea about how a new label should work with the band nowadays?

Michael: Absolutely, we have learned much from our previous experiences and it helps us deal with labels today.

19- The band’s return was produced by Iron Glory recs. And up to these days you’ve worked with Sentinel Steel Recs., Eat Metal recs., and now with Chavis Recs. Which are the requirements you demand as a band when a label wants to ork with you? Is there any difference between the work done by Metal Blade and the named labels?

Michael: Originally, we would have worked with Sentinel Steel, but he was not releasing anything at the time. We are currently and will be for the future, a Sentinel Steel Band. The Chavis release was just a "best of" and for only that 1 cd. For us, Sentinel Steel has been the best label by far. Denis Gulbey is the most honest peson we have ever dealt with. I would not dream of working with any other label from now on.

20- Sentinel Steel is a label more dedicated to diffuse Heavy Metal and 80’s bands. After “Soul Taker” you released a fourth album entitled “The Unknown” under this label… Tell me about this work and the concept behing its cover… Are you satisfied with the results? Do you include extra merchandising in the new records as a support?

Michael: The concept was for the Song & title track "The Unknown" It reflected the lyrics on how you can lose control and let things overwhelm you and go crazy in life. The somgs came very easily and we wrote over a few months, which is a short time for us. This release had no extra merchandising, just a few bonus tracks left over from the recording sessions.

21. Both of your older Works have been reissued with new covers these days… Is it my idea or you wanted to let know with those two front cover that both records were tied to Tolkien’s writings? Can you explain the old cover for “The Second Coming” and why the new one is so different?

Michael: Actually the second recored was not tied to Tolkien. It was a statement about the U.S.& Soviet Union cold war and the potential for a nuclear showdown. The original cover with the guns representd a U.S. gun and a Russian gun although not many people got that.

22- The band’s new release is entitled “Standing the Test of Time”, which is a compilation of your best songs. What made choose each track? Do they have anything special for you or you chose them according to the response from the public and the moods they provoke? Do you, as a fan, like compilations from bands you like or you think is a way to raise the sales? What do you think it would be the plus of this compilation?

Michael: We chose songs that we usually play live and that the fans seem to like. I don't really have any feelings either way about compilations but I think it may give some people who don't know us a chance to check us out and yes, maybe help the sales of the other cds'

23- I can realice that in all the big gigs you’ve been you’ve shared stage with renowned Heavy Metal bands, many of them were pioneers in the British Metal like CLOVEN HOOF, BLITZKRIEG, GASKIN, etc.. Did you use to like the NWOBHM scene in your beginnings as a band? Is there any Heavy Metal scene you like more than another or you just pick your bands individually?

Michael: We definitely liked the NWOBM when we started but I would not say that one scene influenced us more than another. 24-Which bands are the influences for the way of playing of Attacker? What musicians have inspired your way of writing music in the old days and currently?

Michael: We were inspired by the likes of Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Scorpions, Accept, Riot, Anvil and many more great bands of the time. I think they gave us inspiration then and even now.

25- In the year 2000 Attacker suffers another loss in its line up. This time is one of the band founders, the guitar player Jim Mooney.
Fuck!! You really have a hard time to record a new album.Isn’t it? Do you think that Jhon and Jim’s deaths affected somehow the synergy you had as a band? I guess Soul Taker must be a really special record for you after all this, right?

Michael: The death of our friends is what prompted us to record Soul Taker and do it for those guys. We felt it was time to pay tribute for all the work they both contributed to the band over the years and that did make SoulTaker a special record for us.

26- Alter all this, Mike, do you have any thoughts about death.. Do you believe in eternal life?

Michael: I'm not big fan of death. I have seen too many good people pass on and too many bad ones continuing their life. I'm not sure about the eternal life question, I guess until I die, I won't really know the truth. It is a belief that one can look to for comfort in the face of death and that's a good thing.

27- Hey, Mike, in the early times of this new beginning you didn’t agree so much with Bob Mitchell about how was the band supossed to be.. Is that the reason he dind’t join you when you were looking for a frontman… What made you change your minds? Have you had any disagreement with this?

Michael: Actually, alot of was what reported about our relationship with Bob was not true. He told some stories of his version, and that is why we did not go to him at first because of past bad blood. At the time of our reunion, we had a hard time finding vocalists and that was why after Bob contacted me that we said what the hell and took him back. Just to let you know, as I think you are not aware yet, we just let Bob go from the band again due to the same problems of 20 years ago and already have a replacement. He is Walter Figueroa and he was formerly of the band "Severed Hand" that featured Sebastian Bach's son on drums. He also played in a cover band with Jack Frost of Seven Witches. He was actually recommended by Jack Frost, Alan Tecchio of Hades and Ski, former lead singer of Deadly Blessing. That should say alot about his talent.

28- Heey, Mike, I found out you have a certain relation with Chile because o fan old girlfriend you had… Did you ever come here? Do you know anything about us, our culture and the Metal bands from our country?

Michael: No, I never had the pleasure of visiting. I honestly do not know that much an bout your culture or the bands form there. We don't get much information here at home. I would love to visit someday though.

29- What does the band request to be able to play in South America? Have you ever played in a South American country? How do you imagine the scene from this side of the world, considering that poverty is one of the main features of these countries?

Michael: It mostly comes down to being able to to paid enough to cover our expenses for such a trip. Flying 5 guys around the world can get qiute costly. No, we have never been to South America. I have heard that the South Americans love Heavy Metal, I have seen videos of bands playing down there and it looks to be a good scene from what I have viewed.

30- Heyy, Mike What do you think anyone, who doesn’t know about you history and music, should know?

Michael: I guess I would say that we play true metal from the heart because we love truly love it and hopefully people can see that we are geunine and maybe give us a listen. We always strive to do the best that we can at any given time so that we can earn the respect of the fans!

31- Can you go back to your partying days and tell us about them A lot of madness in your old times? Any funny history that you can tell us?
Michael: To be honest, I think we were a pretty boring band as far as partying goes. We did not drink and party much and I am still like this today. We always had fun but not because of be drunk or partying alot. We were just naturally high on life and never needed any help, we probably would have been dangerous if we were a hard partying band.

32- Which do you think that have been the most influential Metal bands from the USA? Are there any other glorious bands from your country that haven’t got the deserved recognition outside USA? In which place would you put your band?

Michael: Of all metal bands I guess Metallica would the most, but not an influence on us but for metal in general. Truthfully, I was always more influenced by Euro bands and less by U.S. bands so I really can't comment. I am having a hard time trying to think of some. Again, I'm not sure where we would rank, that is for fans to determine individually.
33 Heyy, Mike What do you think about Manowar? Did you use to like their way of playing Metal and the way they claimed to the world that their music was “True” Heavy Metal? What do you think about how they expose themselves with bikes, beautiful women and their flashy shows? Did you ever think about that kind of future for Attacker?

Michael: I do like Manowar mainly because they achieved their success by themselves. They had so much trouble with record labels and kept going and got bigger and bigger. The bikes and girls are good for them and that's their thing, so it's cool. For Attacker, that would not be our choice, we are a different bunch of guys with different visions.
34- Ok, Mike, what can we expect from Attacker in the near future? What do you plan?

Michael: We are planning a new album which we will begin writing very soon and it will feature our new vocalist as I mentioned earlier. Then, after the new album we will try to do as many shows as our schedules will allow.

35- Ok, to end this up, and keeping in mind the huge distance between our countries and that ATTACKER has never got an interview from Chile… We’d like you to tell us any band’s secret or something you’ve never told in a interview through all the years… Some guilty pleasure… Something funny to leave ATTACKER’s mark into our pages and Chile…

Michael: Wow, We have always told what was going on and I really don't have any secrets to unveil. I know it sounds hard to believe, but we always tell it like it is and try not to hide anything since we believe honesty is the best policy and the best way to stay out of trouble.

36- We’re done with this ordail, Mike… We hope it hasn’t been a bore to answer this piece of shit… This space is free for you to say anything to end this up… Thanks for your answers and the music you’ve given us through all these years…

Michael: I would like to say thanks again for the chance to speak my mind and say hi to all the Chilean metalheads, Stay true and Stay Heavy!!!!!!

Very Happy
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Cool
SorceressBitch

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I didn't read the whole interview... how old is this? And does anyone know why Bob M. left the band? I haven't been keeping up with Attacker news. heh.
The Exhumator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interview is less than 3 weeks, was recently answered ....

Michael: Actually, alot of was what reported about our relationship with Bob was not true. He told some stories of his version, and that is why we did not go to him at first because of past bad blood. At the time of our reunion, we had a hard time finding vocalists and that was why after Bob contacted me that we said what the hell and took him back. Just to let you know, as I think you are not aware yet, we just let Bob go from the band again due to the same problems of 20 years ago and already have a replacement. He is Walter Figueroa and he was formerly of the band "Severed Hand" that featured Sebastian Bach's son on drums. He also played in a cover band with Jack Frost of Seven Witches. He was actually recommended by Jack Frost, Alan Tecchio of Hades and Ski, former lead singer of Deadly Blessing. That should say alot about his talent.
SorceressBitch

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh. Thanks for pointing it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: