P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Spearhead - Decrowning The Irenarch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karimlan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Spearhead - Decrowning The Irenarch Reply with quote

It's been out for quite some time now but fuck this is good!!
slutvomit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to this right now, actually. Fucking killer, definitely some of the best Black/Death to come from the UK in awhile!
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got that old Bolt Thrower feel as well.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, this is one of the best things that came out last year. The album is the perfect length, with really solid songwriting & riffing throughout. The improvement over their first album is impressive, too, especially in the drumming.
Invictus Productions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see people digging this record!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Spearhead Reply with quote

I must pick it up. I wasn't into 'Deathless Steel Command' at all but I may give this one a go.

www.facebook.com/malthusianDM
Haagenti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will they tour europe with urgehal?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great artwork, excellent well thought out and intelligent lyrics and above all punishing perfectly executed militant Death Metal. I'm not too keen on the drum sound but definitely a must have slab of modern death metal. I think this album actually makes up for the disappointment of the last Angelcorpse album.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haagenti wrote:

They're doing a European tour with Impiety and Dawn of Azazel in September.
Karan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The death metal album of the year! Yeah it is THAT good! Killer release and deserves a vinyl treatment...
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heathen Hammer wrote:
Haagenti wrote:

Yeah I'm hoping to see that in Birmingham...
Wayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Heathen Hammer wrote:
Haagenti wrote:

Yeah I'm hoping to see that in Birmingham...

Same here, the venue for the Birmingham date is a bit of a 'cool' hipster/indie pub, but the room downstairs for gigs is small and dingy, ideal for a line-up like this.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff!
The Exhumator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Interview SPEARHEAD Reply with quote

Excellent band !!!....... They add an interview. I did recently ... Only will be published in Spanish ....

Enjoy!

SPEARHEAD INTERVIEW

1.- Greeting Maniacs!!! We understand that Spearhead is an unknown band here in Chile but Brutal Passion Magazine is fully informed about the excellent metal that you play. What do you know from the Chilean metal scene or just the case of Pinochet under arrest in England is the only thing? ha, ha, ha...

Greetings – my mind goes blank when it comes to Chile; Ammit are killer though. You’ll have to recommend me some more.

2.- The band started in 2003 and Barghest was one of the founders. Was it difficult to star? Did you know each other before?

Yes, that’s right. It did take a while to take off the ground, but I knew Manitou before the band formed, as well as Hemah who is my brother. The current line-up’s members were also briefly known to me before they enlisted.

3.- How do you evaluate the band? Are you only interested in playing your instruments or are you conscious of having a deep knowledge in metal?

We are interested in playing our instruments and playing what we want to play. We also have a strong knowledge of metal of course.

4.- What can you tell us about your first demo? Tell us about the lyrics and the name Yersinia Pestis. What do you feel when you play Pure Fucking Armageddon from Mayhem? Do you like the music they play nowadays?

The band Yersinia Pestis came before Spearhead. Spearhead comprises of different members now. I’m the only survivor from Yersinia Pestis. The Yersinia Pestis demo (2004) was a very raw rehearsal-sounding black metal release. I can only vaguely remember the lyrics - they mainly focused on extermination of weakness and other degenerate plagues. Been so long since I heard the “Pure Fucking Armageddon” demo, I’ve had to re-listen to it just now… This demo is still an awesome release for me – filthy and unacceptably raw death metal. I can’t say I’ve heard the new Mayhem album. I heard a track from the one before I think. I didn’t like it.

5.- "Deathless Steel Command" second year after your beginning. You are a very dedicated band. Tell us about this record with Invictus Productions from Ireland and Tour de Garde from Canada. What does appeal you from the first and second world war?

The tape version (TDG) came out first, a good number of months before the CD version (Invictus Productions). We had a few problems releasing this album on a previous label. Hence why we moved to Invictus Productions in order for the album ever to be released! But of course we’re very pleased with Invictus. They are also releasing our second album (due out in the coming month or so).
What appeals to me about these wars is their spirit. Both wars saw atavistic traits of self sacrifice, national unification and the manifestation of pure transhuman martial action from each side involved (regardless of victory or defeat). It was the last era of heroes that Europe has seen as far as I’m concerned.

6.- What is behind the concept of Spearhead?

The ideologies and concepts have certainly matured over the short years we’ve been in existence, as has the music. The forthcoming album deals with the Traditional ideas of ascendancy of (primarily) individuals as well as nations, which is achieved through martial struggle - Martial struggle on the earthly plane and a metaphysical martial struggle in the transhuman plane. Many lyrics draw inspiration from such examples of this concept and similar ideas evident throughout history, from the Roman age, to the Napoleonic, and up to World War II. Concept is the wrong word though – it is not a concept – it is a truth. It is a truth that has existed since pre-history, but of course it is far easier to express this truth using historical examples. To simplify: War/struggle causes man to banish his earthly emotions in order to fight purely, thus reaching the transhuman, divine plane. War/struggle, likewise, causes the society to shape itself in a traditional caste-orientated state of equilibrium where all factions are focused on one supreme goal. This is not an artificial structuring either – it is pre-historical and wholly Traditional.

7.- Tell us about the ideology of the band. Is it important for you the aesthetic image? Chains, bullets, t-shirts, leather, etc?

(See Question 6). Aesthetics have their place of course, but they are not a primary concern.

8.- "When the Pillars fall" is a new EP. Wad it only edited in CD-R? What does represent the symbol of the cover?

Yes, this EP was a pre-cursor to the forthcoming album. It’s been out about a year now. This was mainly for the purposes of promotion, and so was fairly limited in number. Most tracks on this CDR are on the forthcoming album, though they have been slightly reworked with a superior production. The symbol is the SPEARHEAD coat of arms.

9.- Why there is no information about your first demo in your web page? What do you think of internet, MP3 and pages to download music?

As said in Question 4, this was recorded under the previous name Yersinia Pestis, so it doesn’t really have a great deal of relevance to the Spearhead site. Info can be found on it elsewhere (e.g. Metal-Archives.com), though it is long sold-out. I personally can’t abide MP3/download culture. I would much rather buy an album that I can actually hold. MP3s are good if you want to listen to a couple of tracks off a band’s album before buying. Likewise, they are good for promoting your music. But they undermine the physicality of the ‘album’.

10.- How is Spearhead on stage? Do you play with any band that invites you?

We’ve just last week played with Dodheimsgard, Horna and Vorkreist. It is hard for me to say how we are on stage unless I was in the audience myself. But most feedback we get is very good - the Hells Pleasure fest and the Day of Darkness fest (Ireland) went particularly well. The last gig (Dodheimsgard) we played was kind of fucked-up by a drunken sound engineer and a shit sound. We get a hell of a lot of offers to play in England. Quite often, especially this year as we’ve been writing/recording, we’ve had to turn down a number of gigs, and been more selective as to which gigs we play.

11.- Does South America sound too far for you? England has a good economy. Would you pay your own tickets to come down here?

It doesn’t sound too far for me. I’m sure it will be a possibility one day. Ha – we have an OK economy yes, but we’re not all millionaires. I cannot really speak on behalf of the rest of the band but I think we would possibly consider paying something towards travel costs. But we are usually happy to break-even.

12.- You have played with Sabbat, Revenge, Candlemass, Horna, Vorkreist, etc and participated at the hells Pleasure Fest in Germany with a lot of demoniac bands. How was that trip? Any anecdote?

Hells Pleasure was a great fest - well organised and good to play. The German crowd know how to bang their heads. We had to play without bullets for once - the airport tried to take them from us. We usually have a nightmare with airports with or without bullets.

13.- Which bands you'd like to play with and which bands you'd like to kick their motherfucking asses?

We’ve played with a lot of bands we’ve liked to play with already. There are a number of bands we’d like to gig with again as well. I think next year will see us playing some more gigs with well-known death/black metal bands. But I can’t give any names out yet. More often than not it’s lazy and incompetent sound-engineers whose heads need kicking in.

14.- You come from a country with a rich and strong metal scene with Iron maiden, Venom, Satan, Motorhead among many great bands. What do you think of those years with the NWOBHM? Do you think the beginnings of British metal influenced metal in general? Are you only into the dark part of metal?

It was a very good era for metal for sure. Such metal was a lot more prevalent than it is now. And these bands definitely influenced either directly or indirectly the various genres of metal that followed. I’m not only into the darker side of metal, just mainly. I do listen to a few bands from that era.

15.- Napalm Death, Carcass, Cancer, Cathedral, etc, etc, later on. How would you describe your scene since the 80's until now?

The English scene now is pretty stagnant. That’s how I would describe it. Bands definitely had to work harder in the 80s to be recognised. These days, it’s too easy for any old rubbish to get released.

16.- The Punk style was also strong in the 80's. Which bands should never be forgotten? What do you think of Discharge, Hellbastard, Axe Grinder and Exploited among a ton of these bands?

I don’t like punk.

17.- After the explosion of Death Metal at the end of the 80's and the beginning of the 90's. Was it something else apart from Cradle of Filth and its Black Metal of shopping Centers? ha,ha,ha.

What do you mean? I’ve never heard any shopping centre black metal, maybe I should check it out.

18.- Bands like Adorior and Grave Miasma have a traditional sound like you. What other bands are like these?

The first Spearhead full-length definitely had that old school touch, although musically we’re quite different to the above bands - especially these days. I can also think of Extinction and Isenscur. From this country, you should also check out Reign of Erebus, Esoteric, Blutvial and Code. Aside from that, the bands you mentioned are possibly the most notable examples who have that ‘traditional sound’.

19.- The legacy of Venom is not a secret. What do you think of them? Which were the first Balck metal bands from England?

Venom were obviously the first so-called “black metal” band. I enjoy early Venom yes. There were a number of other ‘cultic’ bands from that era, such as Pagan Altar, Angel Witch, and Satan (whom you previously mentioned), but you wouldn’t use the term “black metal” to describe them now. Most of the actual so-called black metal bands from the 90s onwards in England, of which there were few, were pretty feeble, keyboard-driven bands and thus not really worthy of mention.

20.- Are there good fanzines apart from Stratanael?

There aren’t many English fanzines I can think of. We did an interview for one a while back, called Dark Ritual Zine. I’ve never read the Stratanael one myself.

21.- Do you collect records? Are you interested in having original records or buying your instruments and those things are more important?

Yes. I spend more money on music than I do on instruments if that’s what you mean.

22.- Any demos, CDs or Vinyls you still cannot find?

Am actually still seeking some of the Moonblood rehearsal demos. Would also like to get hold of the Ragnarok (UK) demos and the Rosa Crux “Ales et fêlés” vinyl.

23.- How is your life in England? What is the best and the worst aspect of a country linked to a Monarchy?

The fact that England has a monarchy is the least of our problems. Having a so-called monarchy makes very little real difference to anything. All it’s good for is for attracting tourism (if that’s good thing or not, I don’t know). Maybe if England was subject to a real monarchy it might clean things up around here.

24.- How is taken the power of the church in England? Do you think it affects people these days?

The church has such little power now in England. I don’t think it affects anything anymore. It is actually quite laughable how the church has adapted, degenerated, and annulled so many of its old doctrines in order to “keep with the times”, allowing and accepting all the decadence of modernity. How could you possibly respect an institution that people are supposed to look up to, that has crumbled to its knees in order to meet the modern degenerate masses at ground level? Such an alien institution was bound to fall this way eventually. I have little pity for it.

25.- Is England a racial country? What do you think of immigration? We have understood that Polish people are not welcomed there, why?

What do you mean by racial? If you mean, “are we a race?” – of course. If you mean racist, most of the time England seems to put on a very non-racist public face. I think most people here a cautious about large influxes of any people; such high numbers affect the way of life here. Over the past year or so I’ve seen a rapid influx of Poles. I’ve nothing against Poles at all. They are a good people, and likewise Poland is an interesting cultural nation indeed. But, it’s a truism that any large population influx will have strong implications and ramifications.

26.- What do you think we should do if we go to England for the very first time? Any typical food or drink?

I would first off suggest that when you arrive, you straightaway avoid London, and any other major cities. If you want to experience real England, visit a medieval castle or fortress, or the Lake or Peak District. For a typical meal I would suggest a Sunday pub lunch, roast beef, roast potatoes, gravy etc, with a pint of locally-brewed English Ale. Do not go anywhere near a city or town for this though – you’ll need to go to a rural country village.

27.- What about English women? Do you like topless?

England, in my honest opinion, has some of the best looking females in the world. I think this is true for all the Germanic stocks though, the Norwegians, Swedes, etc. We also have some of the most repugnant, degraded and loutish women as well though – so be careful. (Like I said – avoid the major cities.)

28.- What is your opinion of women into metal? Are you full of male pride people? Do you know women who know a lot about the underground scene?

I’m always a little suspicious of women into metal. Most seem to be complete airheads, who don’t know the first thing, and are obviously in it for a fashion, or to be different or something. There are some few genuine metal-females though. But metal IS idiosyncratically virile and un-feminine. Such genuine metal-females are likely to be pretty unfeminine in this case. Though there are always exceptions to the rule.

29.- Could you give us details from your new second record under Invictus Productions? Have you changed musical or lyrically speaking?

We spent two weeks in Hertz Studio Poland (where Vader, Decapitated and Witchmaster have recorded) to record our second opus. This should be due out within the coming month or so. Expect monumental, harsh and unyielding death metal. This album is markedly more mature than “Deathless..” both on musical and ideological levels. The music is tighter, louder, more adept and a lot more dynamic. It is still has that Spearhead sound, and so stylistically it will sound similar in places to “Deathless..” yet on an advanced scale. On a lyrical level, it is still war-focused, but, again, more advanced ideologically speaking. It deals with the truths that war is a force for individual as well as societal ascendance. (See question 6).

30.- Does one person is in charge of all details in the band or you work all together?

We all work together. We function oligarchically.

31.- What do you consider is the most outstanding aspect in Spearhead? This is for the people who haven't heard from you.

Spearhead has a pretty recognisable sound. The first album has a style not really similar to anything else. The second album also has an idiosyncratic sound, but in a different way. I think what makes us recognisable is the trudging riffage of old school death metal adjacent to hyper-speed blackened-death metal barrages, with buzz-saw vocals, and adept old-school and classical style-tinged leads.

32.- What books or historical aspects inspire you at the moment or writing lyrics?

Evola has been a large source of inspiration both personally and ideologically. In his “Revolt Against the Modern World” for example, he collates and elucidates into one simple holistic framework, the various analogous historical truths of traditional civilisations - It’s an invaluable book for any serious historian. Various Traditional philosophies, as well as various histories, from the Roman era up to the early 20th century have also provided lyrical inspiration. Accounts from the Napolenic wars, WWI & II, The Bhagavad Gita, the works of Evola, Roman writers like Suetonius and Julian the Apostate have all had an influence somewhere.

33.- Let's test your mind... with your hands in your heart, please. Which band do you consider gave life to the Death Metal concept? Possessed from USA or Onslaught from England?

Probably Possessed. Both bands were pretty thrashy, but Possessed were more akin to what you would nowadays call death metal. Both are important bands though.

34.- Okay, that's all. Thank you very much for your time answering this long interview. We really appreciate your patience. To finish with your words this space is for you to say anything that comes to your mind.... any comment, greeting, etc... cheers SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!!!

Thanks for the interview and hail. Check our stronghold for updates on the second album: www.spearhead.cjb.net. Et tu! Sic Semper Tyrannis.
Voorhees

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have to say the new album is pretty fuckin' good. I prefer it to Deathless Steel Command.
I'm actually reading Evola's Revolt... at the moment, coincidentally enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: