P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

A confession
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: A confession Reply with quote

I like this new Metallica single.

Well, parts of it.

Edit: spoke to soon. It's sucks balls.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty underwhelmed at first, to put it like that. But after a few more listens, while ignoring most of the pretty lame 1/3 I'll dig that one. Made the mistake (?) though, of putting on "Ride The Lightning" yesterday, so eventually it's no competition whatsoever to classic METALLICA, not that I expected it to be! It's gonna be loathed by most folks on this forum anyway, I guess...
ThornCross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: A confession Reply with quote

Shocked Metallica are back ? Great news !!!

... I was thinking they were all dead in an accident in 1986.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely has shades of "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All". Actually, at times it seems like a rehash of "One". Not a bad song, but still has too many elements of modern Metallica. It just seems like a deliberate attempt to to please the people who've turned their backs on them and the ones who've been crying for a return to the old days. Which even if it was good, would make it manufactured and phony.

They have gone into Slayer mode now. Every record since Divine Intervention was hyped as a cross between *insert classic album* and *insert classic album*. But aside from a few riffs, it's the same modern bullshit.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
It definitely has shades of "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All". Actually, at times it seems like a rehash of "One". Not a bad song, but still has too many elements of modern Metallica. It just seems like a deliberate attempt to to please the people who've turned their backs on them and the ones who've been crying for a return to the old days. Which even if it was good, would make it manufactured and phony.

They have gone into Slayer mode now. Every record since Divine Intervention was hyped as a cross between *insert classic album* and *insert classic album*. But aside from a few riffs, it's the same modern bullshit.

I do get your point, also about the part reminding of "One", still I don't think they do this this to please anyone. Why should they? They've got millions on their bank account, which would be enough to live 3 lives in utter wealth. When it comes to me, I think the only time they were really going for a commercial approach intentionally, was during the recording of the "Black Album", in which they eventually even succeeded, as this is the one, that put their name on any map for good back then, and I even like some of that one still, although the "hits" are surely overplayed to the max by now, meaning I'm not too keen on putting on "Enter Sandman" or "Nothing Else Matters" at home, to put it like that. Of course they won't have the same focus, drive and ambition as they once had, it's impossible, so of course all that "Yeah, METALLICA are back in the Thrash vein" announcements are complete bollocks! Still, I think most of their output appears to be more genuine (at least in my ears), even talking about the "Load"/"Reload" garbage, than what SLAYER did with their latest records, as it was right there, where I simply couldn't get rid of the feeling, that they were only in it to please their "audience", and "Christ Illusion" bore the living Hell outta me, due to it's lame predictable riffing and overall "play-it-safe" attitude! Not even mentioning Arya's horrible vocals here...
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont really care about metallica after kill em all but actually i kinda liked st anger, if they can cut the songs shorter and make it slightly more loose it would work out better for me... too bad they havent continue in that direction.
brown growth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even bother with all these band's new material. Metallica. Slayer. Mayhem. Celtic Frost. Venom. I just don't care. Even if they do have some decent new material, why bother when you can just listen to the old stuff that you don't have to talk yourself into liking?
Caina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brown growth wrote:
why bother when you can just listen to the old stuff that you don't have to talk yourself into liking?

This. The only exception for me would be Iron Maiden, who's new stuff I genuinely really like. That new Metallica song was fucking embarrasingly shit, to my ears. At least St. Anger, as terrible as it was, was a bit 'brave'. This song might as well be called 'The Unforgiven One Fades to Black Until it Sleeps'. Plus Lars' drumming reaches new lows of awfulness on it.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
brown growth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
brown growth wrote:
why bother when you can just listen to the old stuff that you don't have to talk yourself into liking?

This. The only exception for me would be Iron Maiden, who's new stuff I genuinely really like. That new Metallica song was fucking embarrasingly shit, to my ears. At least St. Anger, as terrible as it was, was a bit 'brave'. This song might as well be called 'The Unforgiven One Fades to Black Until it Sleeps'. Plus Lars' drumming reaches new lows of awfulness on it.

I thought the "BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK" of the snare was funny.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't even bother with all these band's new material. Metallica. Slayer. Mayhem. Celtic Frost. Venom. I just don't care. Even if they do have some decent new material, why bother when you can just listen to the old stuff that you don't have to talk yourself into liking?

Agree. I would rather listen to something that's inspired by their older material.

Web: nwnprod.com

NWN carries all IBP releases.
IBP carries all NWN releases.

Hallucinating Death

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Quote:

Agree. I would rather listen to something that's inspired by their older material.

Agreed. My reasons being all of the above + laziness.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I of course feel the same way. I don't whine like most do about a band turning into shit. I'm totally content with the early classics.

Failed attempts at regaining credibility are rather interesting though, as are somebody like Kerry King's delusions that his band still has relevance.
Shiru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe more metal than theirs last albums, i was pretty surprised, but still i better listen again old stuff
dead gods

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhhh...The single is a mess, but somewhat listenable as far as modern rock radio goes. Mostly a bunch of random parts thrown together to make it "epic". Tuning back to E and less inspiration from newer Entombed or Hatebreed records is probably a good move though.

What's funny is that it sounds more like a home studio outtake or jam. Loud drums, nonexistent bass, obvious autotune vox, etc. I read an article that they won't be able to get a version to stations without digital peaking/distortion. How does that make it past the record company's quality control dept?

I hope there is another in-studio movie. SOME KIND OF MONSTER is a comedy masterpiece. I love the part when Bob Rock rolls his chair over Lars' toe.
brown growth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dead gods wrote:

I hope there is another in-studio movie. SOME KIND OF MONSTER is a comedy masterpiece. I love the part when Bob Rock rolls his chair over Lars' toe.

I really want to see this now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: