P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

YSENGRIN : TO ENDOTATON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my cd today and the result is impressive!
Available for 8,50 euros plus the postage. Order at: ysengrinus@hotmail.fr
Guido

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First review at METALLUS webzine (translate from Italian):

Quote:
"To Endotaton" it is the third work on the long distance of the French Ysengrins, a job that reassumes the sonorous essence of the transalpine act, a mixture among doom metal and picked melodic black in an only suite of over forty minutes. From a musical point of view "To Endotaton" it clearly appears inspired from the more popular (we can quote the first Death SS, Necromass and Mortuary Drape as principals sources of influence) acts of esoteric metal and in his/her duration it balances with boldness near facets to the doom years '80, with dark decelerations and granite riff, but also explosions of anger in key black, that often intervenes during the listening. Here therefore that "To Endotaton" alive of continuous chiaroscuri, dictated from sudden melodic break that reaches to mitigate more exquisitely the extreme façade. In the whole voice of alternate Saint Roch obviously the screaming to the clean one while the concessions to the keyboards give a great variety to the release. We must not wait us for great surprises but the product it is absolutely functional and we can recommend him/it without delays to the fruitoris of the panorama underground, also to the light of the cultured lyric and on the generes. "To Endotaton", still founding himself/herself/itself on the legendary philosophy of Ermete Trismegisto, draws in fact of a ritual iniziatico that develops him in the obscurity of a cavern, allegory of as, through the darkness, the illumination reaches the follower.

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one from HARDSOUNDS webzine, again translate from Italian:

Quote:
This time French have preferred to compose an only trace, some as in past you/they have made so many other artists and band. You are enough to think about the Edge Of Sanity, or more recently to the Aboryms for the new disk of next exit. 'To Endotaton' it is a long trip among left sonority, extreme metal, and an ancient touch given by the tools it is said of medieval that you/they are played to his/her inside. In his/her long duration we have found particularly interesting above all the last quarter of now, where the almost psychedelic soul of the band comes out. With a second listening the select possession to introduce only the disk sottoforma of concept and a passage doesn't seem so necessary, in every case 'To Endotaton' it flows well away, even if it is not a job to always listen, and above all not for everybody.

Guido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YSENGRIN WEBSITE UPDATED (mostly pix from the studio session).

Plus, i have the last copies of "TO ENDOTATON" cd to sell, so fact very fast!
Available for 8,50 euros plus the postage. Order at: ysengrinus@hotmail.fr
Guido

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more reviews:

METAL MUSIC ARCHIVES
Quote:
Labeled by the band as hermetic dark metal, the music of Ysengrin, at least on this album, is considerably eclectic, containing elements of death metal, doom metal, gothic metal, black metal, thrash metal and even some more traditional heavy metal.

And this is a blend that works incredibly well, as the forty-minute sole song found on the album takes the listener through various metal music landscapes, from melodic upbeat riffs over slow and heavy doom-laden passages to black metal-styled blastbeating. To this you can add chucking Celtic Frost-ish riffage and other primitive black-thrash moves, and there is even a slightly funky acoustic section towards the end.

A song of forty minutes can easily get boring, but that does not happen here, as Ysengrin manage to stuff a lot of variation into the composition with cleverly placed changes of tempo, style and atmosphere and breakdowns and build-ups. Musically, I would say that this is a very well put together epic track, which never gets boring. I am not a big fan of the husky whisper-like growled vocals, and I think that a more varied vocal style would have done the album more favors, but I can see how Guido Saint Roch's growls on this album contribute to the overall dark atmosphere.

Not all metal bands can pull off doing a 40-minute song, but Ysengrin do it successfully on "To Endotaton", and anyone who is up for a dark journey through the world of metal should jump on for the ride. It is indeed a very well put together track.
Note: 4/5

HATEFUL METAL WEBZINE

Quote:
To Endotaton ist das dritte Album des französischen Trios YSENGRIN. To Endotaton heißt auch das einzige Lied der CD und ist 40 Minuten lang. Den Stil den YSENGRIN spielen kann man nur schwer in Worten beschreiben, da sie sich vieler unterschiedlicher Elemente und Einflüsse bedienen. Am schwersten wiegt aber wohl der Einfluss des griechischen Black Metals der 90iger Jahre. Gesanglich, atmosphärisch und auch melodisch erinnert To Endotaton immer wieder an Gruppen wie VARATHRON oder auch NECROMASS aus Italien. YSENGRIN beschreiben ihren Stil selbst als „Hermetic Dark Metal“. Düster ist das Album allemal. Aber auch unheimlich, bizarr und grotesk. Das überlange Lied beinhaltet sehr viel Abwechslung, zum Teil in Richtung Death Metal gehend, andernorts doomig und zwischendurch immer wieder griechisch. Mir gefällt diese Ähnlichkeit zu den genannten Bands sehr gut, da ich sie seit vielen Jahren schätze und es großartig finde, dass es heutzutage eine Gruppe gibt, die deren alten Stil aufgreift. Trotz dieser Einflüsse sind und bleiben YSENGRIN sehr eigenständig. Auch wenn es nur ein einzelnes Lied gibt, hat man nicht den Eindruck auch tatsächlich nur ein Lied zu hören. Die 40 Minuten sind quasi in verschiedene Kapitel unterteilt, und so hat man durchaus das Gefühl, verschiedene Lieder vorgespielt zu bekommen.

Mich begeistert das Werk. Es besitzt gute Harmonien, die düster und packend sind. Es hat den düsteren und bizarren Geist eben jener Bands an die man hier erinnert wird und es gibt viel zu entdecken. Wer NECROMASS, VARATHRON oder auch MORTUARY DRAPE mag, kann hier absolut bedenkenlos zugreifen!
Note: 8/10

Guido

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more reviews:

SEA OF TRANQUILITY:

The style of music presented on this album is referred to as "hermetic dark metal", and the collective of musicians that make up the band Ysengrin goes by the name of "La Guilde de la Malabeste". Oh, and the album contains just one song which is over forty minutes long. I guess that, already by now, the reader expects this to go in two directions: either the review will berate the album and the musicians calling them pretentious charlatans hiding behind fake labels or it will praise the musicians for their originality and artistic approach to music.
So, what will it be?
Kack or killer?
Well, I have to say that it is killer. It is really killer. The song might be over forty minutes of length but Ysengrin really pull it off brilliantly. It contains several moves and changes – passages and sequences -, taking you through a variety of dark moods, and features a couple of reprised themes to keep it all together. Stylistically, the song draws on death metal, black metal, doom metal, a bit of primitive thrash metal, heavy metal and hard rock, and there are even a couple of acoustic sections.

So, the music is very varied and indeed progressive, but it never comes across as being overly technical. It is more a matter of building up moods and experimenting with the interplay between these. One thing, however, that is not very varied, is the vocals. This being ultimately based on different types of extreme metal, the vocals are harsh, in this case a very gravely type of growling, which – I must admit – does not really appeal to me. It does stop this album from being a musically and artistically very successful release.

So, if you have forty minutes to spare and want to listen to some expressive – epic yet dark – heavy metal with plenty of variation and interesting textures, then you should explore the piece of art that is Ysengrin's To Endotation.

note: 4/5

HORNS UP WEBZINE:

Chi vuole conoscere una band dalla fredda normandia dedita al Metal estremo e oscuro? Chi? Gli Ysengrin, band nata nel 2005 e con alle spalle parecchi lavori: l’album di debutto “T.R.I.A.D.E” del 2008, lo split album “Ars Magna Moriendi” del 2009, i due demo del 2010 (“Archivum MMV-MMX” e “Alchimite”), lo split album “La Maisniee du Maufe – A Tribute to the Dark Ages”, l’album “Tragedies – Liber Hermetis” del 2011 e l’album che oggi recensirò, cioè “To Endotaton” del 2012.
Cosa ci propone la band? Un Black-Death Metal fortemente contaminato dal Doom: growl su riff Black, sulla lenta trama del Doom e dalla sezione ritmica colossale.
Prima di continuare la recensione voglio dirvi una cosa, qui c’è un qualcosa di particolare, di certo non sarà l’unica band ad aver scelto di comportarsi così ma è difficile da trovare: l’album è composto solamente da un brano di 40 minuti, per l’appunto intitolato “To Endotaton”, ma si ha la sensazione di sentire più brani.
La proposta non è particolarmente noiosa, forse l’idea di avere a che fare con un’unica traccia può spaventare i meno pazienti ma tranquilli, l’unico fastidio che può darvi è che se volete sentire un pezzo particolare della traccia dovete andare avanti col lettore. E’ una proposta poco scontata, carina, nulla di estremamente eccezionale, non vi farà gridare al miracolo ma è piacevole.
Ovviamente non vi indicherò i brani che spiccano di più dato che c’è n’è uno solo.
Ho detto tutto, posso conculdere: in poche parole è una proposta adatta agli amanti del Doom più estremo. Promosso e consigliato agli amanti del genere.

note: 7/10
Guido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last copies are reserved, so i'm now OUT OF STOCK of the cd.
So, to buy the CD, please see directly with the label, i VOIDHANGER or with some of our official distributors (THOSE OPPOSED RECORDS for France or ANCIENT DARKNESS PRODS for Danemark, or UNCREATION RECORDS for Chile...) Thanks!
Lukasz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow SUPPORT Arrow
I, Voidhanger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido wrote:
My last copies are reserved, so i'm now OUT OF STOCK of the cd.
So, to buy the CD, please see directly with the label, i VOIDHANGER or with some of our official distributors (THOSE OPPOSED RECORDS for France or ANCIENT DARKNESS PRODS for Danemark, or UNCREATION RECORDS for Chile...) Thanks!

NUCLEAR WAR NOW will have lots of copies pretty soon. Same with PSYCHEDOOMELIC...
https://www.facebook.com/i.voidhanger.records
http://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/
Guido

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More reviews there:

LA HORDE NOIRE
Review by Childéric Thor

Autrefois fantasme d'une poignée d'explorateurs, essentiellement issus du moule progressif, cela fait bien longtemps maintenant que graver un album composé d'un seul titre ne fait plus peur à personne et surtout pas aux modestes artisans de l'underground. Après tout, il n'est pas plus difficile d'écrire une (très) longue compo qu'un hymne où tout est résumé en 4 minutes chrono en main. Non, par contre, écrire un BON titre l'est bien davantage. On pourrait penser qu'il faut tout de même en avoir des grosses pour tenter le relever un défi synonyme, même lorsqu'il est atteint, de suicide commercial.
Mais YSENGRIN, encore peu connu malgré déjà sept ans d'existence, deux opuscules et deux splits, dont le dernier partagé avec AORLHAC, DARKENHÖLD et OSSUAIRE, n'a pas ce problème là. Bénéficiant d'une totale liberté que lui confère la confidentialité de sa rénommée et de l'appui de ATMF via sa sous division I, Voidhanger, qu'il a préféré à De Profundis qui était pourtant fait pour lui, le groupe, formé de musiciens qui trainent depuis quelques années déjà au sein de la chapelle noire hexagonale, se lance donc tranquillement et non sans une certaine réussite dans cet exercie O combien casse-gueule. Le résultat est ce To Endotaton, piste de 40 minutes de prime abord pas toujours aisée à cerner en cela que sur un socle plutôt Doom seventies s'érige un tertre aux arcanes Black Metal. Le rythme est lent, envoûtant parfois, ce qui n'empêche pas le morceau d'être traversé par de nombreux passages, certains (relativement) plus rapides.
Ambiances gothiques à l'italienne (façon DEATH SS), tapissées par des claviers d'un sombre liturgie, chant caverneux ou plus solannel, guitares rugueuses où suinte les racines ténébreuses d'YSENGRIN et lignes de basse véloces se conjuguent sans jamais ennuyer, quand bien même la seconde partie se révèle plus intéressante, le groupe parvenant à échapper au piège fâcheux de l'assemblage maladroit de segments mis bout à bout pour atteindre la durée requise. On passe de soli mélodiques à des arpèges acoustiques, de lourdes reptations à l'accélération finale très Black et tout n'y est pas maîtrisé, notamment la prise de son un peu rèche, cependant que fait défaut à cette néanmoins ambitieuse composition davantage de liant, ce qui lui aurait permis de gommer ses atours abruptes.
Mais les Français s'en sortent avec les honneurs et non pas à rougir de la comparaison avec d'autres plus connus qu'eux qui se sont également aventuré sur ce chemin le temps d'un album, comme cela fut le cas de Impiety par exemple qu'on n'imaginait pourtant pas à cette sauce. To Endotaton leur offrira-t-ils le césame vers une reconnaissance accrue et méritée ? L'avenir nous le dira...
[7 out of 10]

DAMNED BY LIGHT
Review by M

I wasn't previously familiar with the French band Ysengrin, but I guess that's not a big wonder despite "To Endotaton" being already their third full-length. The album presents forty minutes of lightly psychedelic goth rock with a retro-doom sound, and with a hint of dustiness and heaviness of '90s death metal - and the harsh and growled vocals strengthen this last notion. Yet, behind everything lies black metal. It's quite an unconventional mixture in these days, and makes it even more surprising that the song actually functions. The digital promo included no booklet nor lyrics, thus they won't be commented.
After the more rocking and freely flowing beginning, at nine minutes the song begins to sound more like thrashing proto-black metal - but later it again manifests influences from goth to vintage psychedelic doom, and from some acoustic parts to close to sludge. Everything is tied together by the vintage soundscape that erases the guitars' harshest edges and gives the lighter parts a nice softness. The soundscape also makes the massive piece an easy but very pleasing one for the ears, and makes the cliche horror-synths sound as they should.
Do note that the song has a brief silence and a switch from light psychedelia to heavier doom around the 20-minute mark to make this album function as a vinyl, too. This, along with the overall quality of riffs and the great sense of style that's brought this mixture of genres together, shows how much thought and effort has gone into creating this album. It's bold and experimental, but with style. The song doesn't sound like a bundle of ten different songs because of the stylish and at times unnoticeable transitions from one style and riff to another, and because some of the "themes" reappearing every now and then during the track's length.
The vocal section doesn't steal attention from the riffs, but moreso serves as a dramatic add. Some quest vocalists deliver cleaner chants and different types of growls depending whether the atmosphere is light or dramatically building, and overall they fit in rather well. The sturdy and nicely oldschool bass-sound does wonders to the songs and their feel, too.
This album is both a bold and successful one. It just didn't manage to create the wow-effect I would've hoped for when noting the possibilities for experimentation and dramatic builds a 40-minute track allows by default. Perhaps seeing and knowing the lyrics would've helped?
Other than that it's a good, solid, well executed and -composed album that isn't a heavy listen despite its structure. Very recommended for fans of occult heavy metal and experimental black metal.
[8+ out of 10]

AVE NOCTUM
Review by Jodi Michael

Helping to permeate the heat of this disgusting American summer as of late has been France’s Ysengrin, who are apparently versed at the art of chilling bones through song. Please note the singular use of the word song here, as Ysengrin’s latest offering, To Endotaton, is comprised of just one 40-minute song. As unappealing as that usually sounds (unless you’re a big fan of droning dirges or prog freak-outs), To Endotaton is actually an engaging release with thick roots stemming from various genres.
Ysengrin brand their music as hermetic metal, which is fitting, as an air of occult rituals performed in forgotten caves lingers over To Endotaton. A primitive backdrop inlaid with flecks of doom, black, death, folk, trad and prog blankets the album’s lone track. Stylistic changes and moods within “To Endotaton” fluctuate regularly, though nothing strays too far from the core of the tune. The guts of the song (and, subsequently, album) morph fluidly from eerie doom to ghastly death, flirt with odd progressive sections, then begin to fester in depressive blackened spots before coming full circle. It seems that revelations of sorts seem to come about in increments during the course of “To Endaton,” as the track will shift a bit toward a less chaotic and more serene atmosphere at times, with some of the more gruff riffing/drumming pieces being laid to rest, while at other times the harsh elements of the track are reprised, completing a cycle.
Being previously unfamiliar with Ysengrin, it’s hard to say how To Endotaton stacks up when compared to its predecessor, Tragedies – Liber Hermetis, though the impression given is that the atmosphere created within To Endotaton has been nurtured and cultivated for quite some time. Music possessing those esoteric qualities usually doesn’t come to fruition quickly. Here’s hoping that the lads in Ysengrin will keep up the good work for years to come.
[7 out of 10]

PURE GRAIN RADIO
Review by Curtis Dewar

This album by France's Ysengrin is not something that will appeal to everyone. In fact, I would even dare to guess it won't go very far in the underground. Frankly this is one of those rare bands that are so far off the beaten path that people will either love it, or hate it.
The record consists of one, yes one, 40 minute long track that fluctuates between rock and metal and has some interesting death metal vocals thrown into the mix. It's an intense experience with some nice guitar solos making for a very immersive song. I personally tend to avoid "epic", lengthy tracks such as this, as they tend to get boring as they wander off into excess. This isn't the case here at all. The music is well-written and so well performed that the minutes seem to fly by. Do yourself a favor and check these guys out for something quite a bit different from what you would normally listen to.
[8 out of 10]
Guido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New review, the best (so far):

Quote:
My first exposure to the French Ysengrin, To Endotaton is a daunting, 40 minute, single track excursion into darkness which fuses numerous genres into an appreciable whole. Normally, I muster some degree of apprehension towards such swollen compositions. So few truly master this aspirations with balance and conviction, save for the rare exceptions like Sabbat's The Dwelling; many seem to simply merge a number of disparate movements into one sum, and to some degree I felt the same of To Endotaton. Clearly there are places throughout this piece which could have been rendered down into separate suites, without a sacrifice in concept or quality, but I must say that its format is perhaps the sole tangible detriment to what is otherwise a fantastic album, something I suspected after browsing the band's present roster, which is culminated from the ranks of other strong acts like Darkenhöld, whose 2010 debut A Passage to the Towers... was excellent, atmospheric black metal.

Ysengrin's primary motif would be rooted in the death/doom aesthetic, with a lot of slow to mid paced, lurching palm muted riffs redolent of Black Sabbath, My Dying Bride or Paradise Lost slathered in a massive guttural growl. Think Hooded Menace meets Candlemass and you're somewhere near the right ballpark, but the Frenchmen also incorporate variation in the form of pure old school death and black metal breaks, not to mention some wicked, straight heavy/doom riffs that erupt into sheer headbanging pleasure. Beyond that, there are beautiful passages of classically-inflected clean guitars, backing synthesizers and organs set up sparsely at just the right joints in the album's framework to intensify its exotic, morbid and soul sucking affectations. As I hinted above, there are certain obvious areas throughout "To Endotaton" in which one feels almost like a new track is beginning, only the incremental pauses have been removed, but that's not to say that there isn't a unified pace and theme throughout, with a lot of cohesive, steady drums and slower paced guitar patterns that flow very well into one another. A few of the transitions are breaks in the drums where a faster paced guitar will start ringing off, soon joined by the rest of the band, but otherwise it's a smooth course of action, an ebbing tide of sadness and crushing weight.

Even better, they've written some superb riffs which will doubtless turn the heads of many listening, regardless of whether their primary poison is death, doom or black metal; To Endotaton was obviously the labor of men who wished to mete out equal portions of melody, suffering and heaviness, and they set it all up with such a broad and bright production that you can experience every spellbinding note procession without straining yourself. One of my favorite performances here was the bass, which grooves along at a brighter, curving contrast to the thicker guitars, creating an ambivalent sense of progressive/psychedelia that really adds a lot to the otherwise simple, funereal riffing; but in general, all of the guitars and synthesizers are eerie and effective. The guttural vocals are the natural fit to the varied musical substrate, though they rarely vary in pitch or formula, but this shouldn't prove a problem for fanatics of decades of death/doom cohabitation. In the end, this is seasoned, carefully composed music which endures in the memory well after the finals notes resonate unto oblivion. Would it have been better if split into 4-5 individual components (their older albums took were comprised of numerous tunes)? Perhaps, but apart from that one criticism, this is another outstanding French band. A spellbinding, atmospheric success for I, Voidhanger. An easily recommended escape.

Verdict: Win [8.75/10]

I, Voidhanger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that Autothrall/From The Dust Returned noticed the outstanding bass work, it's the first reviewer so far that explicitely mentioned it...
https://www.facebook.com/i.voidhanger.records
http://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/
Guido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe their shitty computer speakers dont give the chance to the bass?Twisted Evil PLAY THE MUSIC LOUD (and on good speakers).
Guido

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cd is in the NUCLEAR WAR NOW store, so dear americans, you can finally order the opus Twisted Evil
Guido

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get the master for the vinyl version of "To Endotaton" done by Dan (Resonance Sound Studio) a few days ago: it sound great BUT as vinyl cost a lot of more than cd to produce, you guys have to show your support/interest by buying YSENGRIN stuff through the I VOIDHANGER shop:
http://www.i-voidhanger.com/mailorder.htm
THANKS!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: