P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

Maryland Deathfest 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Doom-Mantia



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 1824
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has become incredibly popular and crowded and even with extra room it'll still be that way, but the metal party mentality has kinda faded in the last few years because I think they're more focused on the bands now. You never would have seen any of this black metal at the party MDFs when people dressed in costumes and goregrind bands were over half of the lineup. If they never changed the types of bands they booked, the fest probably wouldn't have become as successful as it is.
_________________
good users
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dusted



Joined: 07 Jul 2012
Posts: 486

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haterofhumans wrote:
I would never go to MDF , simply because there are too many people and it would be hard to view the bands. I would hate, being around all that many people , it is just crowded and too expensive for a plane ticket. Also, I just don't get the whole metal party mindset.


i stayed away for this reason for a long time,but i went last year and had a great fucking time,give it a shot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dusted



Joined: 07 Jul 2012
Posts: 486

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom-Mantia wrote:
It has become incredibly popular and crowded and even with extra room it'll still be that way, but the metal party mentality has kinda faded in the last few years because I think they're more focused on the bands now. You never would have seen any of this black metal at the party MDFs when people dressed in costumes and goregrind bands were over half of the lineup. If they never changed the types of bands they booked, the fest probably wouldn't have become as successful as it is.


agreed,its becoming the US ver of WACKEN which is good imo

dream lineups
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thoth



Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 577

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusted wrote:
Doom-Mantia wrote:
It has become incredibly popular and crowded and even with extra room it'll still be that way, but the metal party mentality has kinda faded in the last few years because I think they're more focused on the bands now. You never would have seen any of this black metal at the party MDFs when people dressed in costumes and goregrind bands were over half of the lineup. If they never changed the types of bands they booked, the fest probably wouldn't have become as successful as it is.


agreed,its becoming the US ver of WACKEN which is good imo

dream lineups


Except WACKEN has shit line-ups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HHJ



Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 856

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well better than we're used to getting anyway!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reed



Joined: 14 Oct 2008
Posts: 1717
Location: Denver, Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organizers did a great job of spreading around the bands from day to day. Can't wait til May!
_________________
TRADELIST:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4933
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heirophant.326.AV



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 1379
Location: inside the preserved Moose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom-Mantia wrote:
It has become incredibly popular and crowded and even with extra room it'll still be that way, but the metal party mentality has kinda faded in the last few years because I think they're more focused on the bands now. You never would have seen any of this black metal at the party MDFs when people dressed in costumes and goregrind bands were over half of the lineup. If they never changed the types of bands they booked, the fest probably wouldn't have become as successful as it is.


Given that it's over the other side of the world I'm not in any hurry to go (if I'm going to fly from AUS there are better fests to go to), but I thought it was hilarious when BW kicked that chicken suit dork in the head. Are you saying that it used to be "normal" for it to be essentially a "whacky metal party"? I always wrote it off because of the heavy grind/punk/"fun-metal" focus. Always seemed like there were a lot of elements roughly equivalent to the cheesy Euro plastic-viking-helmet brigade in evidence. My sole experience of a U.S festival was R.O.D last year, which I liked because it was tense, borderline chaos and not a big party-atmosphere for people into camping or whatever the fuck.
_________________
"14 words: we must secure the depravation of the children and ruin the whole fucking world..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mendicant



Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 607
Location: Canberra, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
Doom-Mantia wrote:
It has become incredibly popular and crowded and even with extra room it'll still be that way, but the metal party mentality has kinda faded in the last few years because I think they're more focused on the bands now. You never would have seen any of this black metal at the party MDFs when people dressed in costumes and goregrind bands were over half of the lineup. If they never changed the types of bands they booked, the fest probably wouldn't have become as successful as it is.


Given that it's over the other side of the world I'm not in any hurry to go (if I'm going to fly from AUS there are better fests to go to), but I thought it was hilarious when BW kicked that chicken suit dork in the head. Are you saying that it used to be "normal" for it to be essentially a "whacky metal party"? I always wrote it off because of the heavy grind/punk/"fun-metal" focus. Always seemed like there were a lot of elements roughly equivalent to the cheesy Euro plastic-viking-helmet brigade in evidence. My sole experience of a U.S festival was R.O.D last year, which I liked because it was tense, borderline chaos and not a big party-atmosphere for people into camping or whatever the fuck.


In prior years the "party brigade" only really went crazy during specific bands (usually grind) which worked perfectly for fun bands like Birdflesh and Blood Duster. They'd dress funny, throw glow sticks and blow up toys around in the mosh. It was only a minority though and most of the crowd were usual schlubs in metal shirts
_________________
www.mendicantmusic.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Doom-Mantia



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 1824
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
I thought it was hilarious when BW kicked that chicken suit dork in the head. Are you saying that it used to be "normal" for it to be essentially a "whacky metal party"? I always wrote it off because of the heavy grind/punk/"fun-metal" focus. Always seemed like there were a lot of elements roughly equivalent to the cheesy Euro plastic-viking-helmet brigade in evidence.


what happened was some girl threw a baby doll at Impurath and then ran out of the venue, and the guy in the chicken costume was the first one anyone assumed threw it. regardless i don't think BW cared for his costume. i've been the last 3 years and each year the party atmosphere has dwindled as the bands became more serious that they booked. MDF is always still a great time, and i saw one or two people in Mortal Kombat costumes this year, but i think 2010 was probably the last "party" year in terms of what you're thinking of. 2011 had some with a few bands but it was barely there this year. i'm glad it's gone away mostly because for example someone threw a beach ball around during Impaled Nazarene in 2011 and it pissed them off quite a bit, and i'd like it if MDF kept booking good black metal bands that didnt take the fest as a joke. Last Days of Humanity in 2011 was fun though, somebody brought a blow up dinosaur.
_________________
good users
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dusted



Joined: 07 Jul 2012
Posts: 486

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres still party idiots but its not as bad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mendicant



Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 607
Location: Canberra, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom-Mantia wrote:
Heirophant.326.AV wrote:
I thought it was hilarious when BW kicked that chicken suit dork in the head. Are you saying that it used to be "normal" for it to be essentially a "whacky metal party"? I always wrote it off because of the heavy grind/punk/"fun-metal" focus. Always seemed like there were a lot of elements roughly equivalent to the cheesy Euro plastic-viking-helmet brigade in evidence.


what happened was some girl threw a baby doll at Impurath and then ran out of the venue, and the guy in the chicken costume was the first one anyone assumed threw it. regardless i don't think BW cared for his costume. i've been the last 3 years and each year the party atmosphere has dwindled as the bands became more serious that they booked. MDF is always still a great time, and i saw one or two people in Mortal Kombat costumes this year, but i think 2010 was probably the last "party" year in terms of what you're thinking of. 2011 had some with a few bands but it was barely there this year. i'm glad it's gone away mostly because for example someone threw a beach ball around during Impaled Nazarene in 2011 and it pissed them off quite a bit, and i'd like it if MDF kept booking good black metal bands that didnt take the fest as a joke. Last Days of Humanity in 2011 was fun though, somebody brought a blow up dinosaur.


that Impaled Nazarene incident was hilarious and I think Mika was only mock offended - after all they have played Obscene Extreme which is pretty much pure party atmosphere
_________________
www.mendicantmusic.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Doom-Mantia



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 1824
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impaled Nazarene played OEF? weird. yeah it's basically what MDF was trying to be the American version of for a while.
_________________
good users
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckets



Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 138
Location: Ass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is slightly off topic but I'm a relatively inexperienced traveler when it comes to flying. I really don't want to check any bags so does anyone have a a suggestion for a carry-on that'll fit my laptop, my headphones (over the ear studio headphones), some clothes, and still leave room for some merch? I don't know how the merch stands operate at MDF but I imagine I'll be able to pick up some LPs and stuff, right?
_________________
fuckin' metal
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eighthplague
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckets wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic but I'm a relatively inexperienced traveler when it comes to flying. I really don't want to check any bags so does anyone have a a suggestion for a carry-on that'll fit my laptop, my headphones (over the ear studio headphones), some clothes, and still leave room for some merch? I don't know how the merch stands operate at MDF but I imagine I'll be able to pick up some LPs and stuff, right?


I really don't think you're going to find a carry-on that's going to fit your needs.
Back to top
xyosefx



Joined: 06 Aug 2009
Posts: 5381
Location: We lived among the people. I think you say "convenience store." We lived above it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckets wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic but I'm a relatively inexperienced traveler when it comes to flying. I really don't want to check any bags so does anyone have a a suggestion for a carry-on that'll fit my laptop, my headphones (over the ear studio headphones), some clothes, and still leave room for some merch? I don't know how the merch stands operate at MDF but I imagine I'll be able to pick up some LPs and stuff, right?

I just use a backpack, always works fine.
_________________
Analog Worship label & distro (click for link)

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 15 of 39

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group