P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have any specific recommendations on tone arm weight settings recommended for use with an Empire 2000E III cartridge? having weird issues getting this new turntable set up so far and the sound seems a little hollow to me. audiophile forums that I have come across do not offer any useful information, just the usual elitist gear trolling, tech/gear head abbreviated lingo, and nothing useful for the average joe in between. anyhow, I am guessing maybe I have the weight setting a little too light at the moment? going conservative at only 1.5 currently... guessing this might not be quite enough weight hence the hollow sound? I think I have it balanced properly as it levitates fairly nice and horizontal, now I just need to hammer out an exact weight recommendation for this cartridge

apologies in advance if this is a flat retarded question. I am not the most tech savvy on the audio front
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the paperwork for it here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/empire/2000.shtml

Your description of the VTF causing it to sound 'hollow' is nonsensical; no idea what you mean. Maybe it's not a good mate for your tonearm, or maybe you simply don't like its characteristics.

Make sure you use a tool to measure VTF, and not just the numbers on the table.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainretardo wrote:
You can download the paperwork for it here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/empire/2000.shtml

Your description of the VTF causing it to sound 'hollow' is nonsensical; no idea what you mean. Maybe it's not a good mate for your tonearm, or maybe you simply don't like its characteristics.

Make sure you use a tool to measure VTF, and not just the numbers on the table.

well thanks for pointing out my description as nonsensical. I did try to make a disclaimer about not really being tech savvy in the first place just for this reason. I do not have a VTF tool either. in any case I am quickly realizing trying the DIY/guide yourself through it via the internet route is not going to be the best way to go. sounds like I need to bite the bullet and just leave this one to the experts to set up for me instead.

thanks for the d/l as well. I found similar earlier, however you have to be a forum member to get access. I don't feel like bothering with that song and dance right now
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a tool to measure VTF and set it at what the paperwork says. The numbers on the table only have meaning relative to a known weight; if you have nothing to use as a benchmark, they are meaningless.

I am not making fun of you, I am just saying that the VTF will not make it sound 'hollow' (or any similar word). You may simply not like the way it sounds, or it may sound poor because it's not on a type of tonearm that works well for it. However, improper VTF is a great way to fuck up your records. You can either take it to someone to do it for you, or buy a cheap tool to measure it with. I recommend the latter, because it will be cheaper, and will allow you to do ity yourself instead of taking the table to a shop every time you get a new cartridge. The tool itself is easy to use; you can get a digital one (easiest, but more expensive), or a simple scale. It's really that easy--you are just putting something on a scale and measuring the force. It will tell you exactly where to put the stylus, and how to read it.

Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-Stylus-Tracking-Force/dp/B00006I5SD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351975159&sr=8-1&keywords=force+gauge

This will not be as precise as a digital scale, but will be as accurate. All it is is a little scale. You can use it correctly with zero turntable experience.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to serious questions nothing is retarded and no one is mocking you in this thread.

The Shure scale saptainretardo links to is something you have to have, just buy it already.. and log into vinylengine, there is a wealth of info on that site.

The 'hollow' sound you mention could possible be an incompatibility to your phono stage or something set wrong. I've heard what you describe on an old stereo where moving magnet vs. moving coil button was set wrong (just using this as an example of a possibility) I don't know anything about the cart you mention, have you heard one on another system? Do you know anyone or have access to another system you can test your table on?

lordoftherim wrote:
does anyone have any specific recommendations on tone arm weight settings recommended for use with an Empire 2000E III cartridge? having weird issues getting this new turntable set up so far and the sound seems a little hollow to me. audiophile forums that I have come across do not offer any useful information, just the usual elitist gear trolling, tech/gear head abbreviated lingo, and nothing useful for the average joe in between. anyhow, I am guessing maybe I have the weight setting a little too light at the moment? going conservative at only 1.5 currently... guessing this might not be quite enough weight hence the hollow sound? I think I have it balanced properly as it levitates fairly nice and horizontal, now I just need to hammer out an exact weight recommendation for this cartridge

apologies in advance if this is a flat retarded question. I am not the most tech savvy on the audio front
cm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Rotel RP-855. Decent so far
xxx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just scored this baby for 25 euro at the local second hand store... amazing sound!

BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know a ton about turn tables and haven't had a working one for over a year. I miss buying records and want to get back in the game so here we go.

I picked up one of these for $90. Probably over priced for what it is but it was from a local record store that I wanted to support, so whatever. I don't think it's spectacular but it should be an alright entry level table once it's all set up. Did I get totally ripped? Or just kinda ripped? Or am I totally off on the price assumption and it's actually an alright deal?

Probably could use a new belt. It starts / stops pretty wobbly.

Definitely needs a new needle. Skips if the counter-weight is too heavy. Bounces if it's too light. Sometimes catches if it's just right ... but then usually loses it again somewhere along the way.

New cartridge probably wouldn't hurt. Any suggestions?

Philips GA427 - 1974-1976

wirelessbanality

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS wrote:
I don't really know a ton about turn tables and haven't had a working one for over a year. I miss buying records and want to get back in the game so here we go.

I picked up one of these for $90. Probably over priced for what it is but it was from a local record store that I wanted to support, so whatever. I don't think it's spectacular but it should be an alright entry level table once it's all set up. Did I get totally ripped? Or just kinda ripped? Or am I totally off on the price assumption and it's actually an alright deal?

Probably could use a new belt. It starts / stops pretty wobbly.

Definitely needs a new needle. Skips if the counter-weight is too heavy. Bounces if it's too light. Sometimes catches if it's just right ... but then usually loses it again somewhere along the way.

New cartridge probably wouldn't hurt. Any suggestions?

Philips GA427 - 1974-1976

I don't know man. 90$ on what is a relatively cheapo turntable, especially on a used market I would hope there would be no issues on it whatsoever. I mean, I would expect it to have a new needle/cartridge and there certainly shouldn't be any belt issues.
ImBlueIBelieveICanDie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this one is it high quality?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYTPAE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. I'm pretty dissapointed. I might just cut my losses and put it on the back burner and fix it up later as a back up unit or something. I saw a Technics SL-1200MK2 on craigslist for $200 so I might spring for that.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. I'm pretty dissapointed. I might just cut my losses and put it on the back burner and fix it up later as a back up unit or something. I saw a Technics SL-1200MK2 on craigslist for $200 so I might spring for that.

I always advise people to just grab "that cheapo Sony turntable" whenever they want to get something to listen to records on first and foremost for cheap. It's really not bad, either. Very middle-of-the-road for a good price. I've had one for 7 years without a single issue. Might not be the cool option, but it's a cheap one, and I'd imagine it'd work especially well as a stop-gap.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX250H-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352220926&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+turntable
BENEDICTINE PALPITATIONS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:

I always advise people to just grab "that cheapo Sony turntable" whenever they want to get something to listen to records on first and foremost for cheap. It's really not bad, either. Very middle-of-the-road for a good price. I've had one for 7 years without a single issue. Might not be the cool option, but it's a cheap one, and I'd imagine it'd work especially well as a stop-gap.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX250H-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352220926&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+turntable

Oh cool. That looks pretty good. Thank you

I'm not opposed to getting something decent (a little above entry level) I just gotta get my ducks in a row and figure out where I want to have it land. Should have something in the next few weeks here hopefully.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used that for 3 years and it does the job well. I especially like that it has prevented me from spending money on an amplifier or receiver or any of that stuff. But I'm looking to get a Debut III now.
wirelessbanality

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Technics SL-1200MK2 on craigslist for $200 so I might spring for that.

Jump on that shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 27 of 49

Jump to: