P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Please rec me a good sounding Kill Em All reissue.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Please rec me a good sounding Kill Em All reissue. Reply with quote

There are so many around. No idea which ones to look at.

Old Metallica CD's are a bit quiet.
probert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i cant recommend one but ill tell you my favorite record shopping story..

so im at my favorite record store in calgary (meloydia). just traded some records in, had about 150 in credit so im looking around. come to the metallica LPs and see an LP with the original "Metal Up Your Ass" artwork that was supposed to be the cover/title for KEA. i say to my bud "dude! they reissued kill em all as metal up your ass! with the art and everything!". he sez "nah man, that is the kill em all demos." sure enough, i look at the back and the tracklisting is for demo tracks. so i sez "ahh damn, thatd be killer if they actually used the original art for the reissue. how are these demos?" he says they are OK. i like the album art enough, i have credit and im curious enough so i decide to pick it up. i get home put the record on.. the opening flourish of 'hit the lights' fades in.. im thinking wow thats weird that that was on the demo.. the song starts.. im thinking wow these demos sound insanely good and insanely identical to the actual album. i listen a few more seconds and realize that these arent the demos at all, the LP is a fucking mispress and has the kill em all album on it!!! exactly what i was hoping for when i first seen it. so yeh, thats my favorite record shopping story. yeh yeh 'cool story, bro' i know. but it was fuckin cool.

uhh sorry i cant help with your actual question.
Sunnportal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a rad story. Just hope it doesn't hijack my thread.
DrkKnight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
sorry i cant recommend one but ill tell you my favorite record shopping story..

so im at my favorite record store in calgary (meloydia). just traded some records in, had about 150 in credit so im looking around. come to the metallica LPs and see an LP with the original "Metal Up Your Ass" artwork that was supposed to be the cover/title for KEA. i say to my bud "dude! they reissued kill em all as metal up your ass! with the art and everything!". he sez "nah man, that is the kill em all demos." sure enough, i look at the back and the tracklisting is for demo tracks. so i sez "ahh damn, thatd be killer if they actually used the original art for the reissue. how are these demos?" he says they are OK. i like the album art enough, i have credit and im curious enough so i decide to pick it up. i get home put the record on.. the opening flourish of 'hit the lights' fades in.. im thinking wow thats weird that that was on the demo.. the song starts.. im thinking wow these demos sound insanely good and insanely identical to the actual album. i listen a few more seconds and realize that these arent the demos at all, the LP is a fucking mispress and has the kill em all album on it!!! exactly what i was hoping for when i first seen it. so yeh, thats my favorite record shopping story. yeh yeh 'cool story, bro' i know. but it was fuckin cool.

uhh sorry i cant help with your actual question.

Can you loan me the horseshoe you had up your ass that day? Nice one!

Good deals: Travis N., xyosefx, Dark Descent, captainretardo
dronevil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015XHX7E

the 45rpm dlp reissue sounds pretty good.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first press that Elektra did is my favorite version (black/red labels). It came out in '88 or '89. There is no discernable sound quality difference between it and the Megaforce original, and the Elektra version has "Blitzkrieg" and "Am I Evil?" as bonus tracks. The oddity is that Blitzkrieg is the last song on the A-side (AIE is last on the B-side), so Blitzkrieg is "in the middle" of the regular tracklist.

With a little patience, you can probably get it for ~$30.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing the link that someone posted, look at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00008F0LC/ref=tmm_vnl_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Scroll down to the seller "Stockpile Media Store;" the listing says:

$35+shipping
"'87 Elektra Records reissue vinyl press, 60766, (Reissue of Megaforce 069 w/ two extra tracks). Vinyl condition NM (Near Mint). Cover condition VG+ (Very Good plus). Includes custom inner sleeve. Personal & professional handling. Quality satisfaction guaranteed. Ships from CT. "

Maybe send a question to them asking what the labels look like; if they're black/red, that's the version I recommend. You might be able to find it a little cheaper if you look around a bit, but if you're hellbent on a good copy, that seems reasonable to me (a little high, but worth it if it's what you want).
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy some old press 12" from the 80's, that's surely a better optin than any recent reissue...
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Just buy some old press 12" from the 80's, that's surely a better optin than any recent reissue...

This. It must not be too hard to locate a decent copy of the original record for a fair price (= $20 or so).
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see LP copies range from $20-$50 around here depending on condition.

Never bought any reissues but I'm sure they'll fuck them up somehow, I think it's inevitable....
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "best" sounding one is probably the one they released quite recent which is the audiophile release on like 3-4 discs.

i think they re-released their entire body of work on single lp, gatefold double lp, and the audiophile over the top lps.

looks like they're long since sold out on their own store though: http://www.metallica.com/product-categories/vinyl.asp
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nosferatu wrote:
audiophile release on like 3-4 discs.
I bet the differene is either unnoticeable or it just sounds more compressed/modern/sterille/whatever and doesn't justify the price. And fukk, the idea of turning the side/changing records so many times during one album sounds annoying, to say the least. Rolling Eyes
Nosferatu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah definetly

well if someone has a 20 000$ stereo and knows that to listen for i guess that can appreciate it. but yeah, one song per side is just totally retarded.

that's why i never listen to ep's and 7".. it's just too much effort Laughing

anyway, i guess the new gatefold releases is what you should get.
Weltbrand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought that 'Metal Up Your Ass' mispress too, seems like a whole run ended up like that. I returned it to the Ebay seller and he pitched a fit.
probert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltbrand wrote:
I bought that 'Metal Up Your Ass' mispress too, seems like a whole run ended up like that. I returned it to the Ebay seller and he pitched a fit.

shouldve kept it and sold it to some metallica wacko as some ultra elite mispress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: