P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Medieval Music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihslahm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for "early music" on youtube and you can find tons of varied interesting stuff.

Found this one and discovered where The Moon Lay Hidden Neneath a Cloud stole one of their samples Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG1m3KTR5G0
Chicken_Dance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Medieval Music Reply with quote

john matrix wrote:
Recommend me some medieval music. Preferably on acoustic/traditional instruments. It's hard to describe what I mean since I know dick about this subject, but I'm looking for stuff that is similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-xUqSfn6hE
/
Is this a famous piece of Medieval music? I have an old documentary that has another version of this exact song.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:
Seems to be a bit of a disconnect between actual medieval music and people fucking around with what they think medieval music should sound like

Indeed that's why some of us mentioned REAL ACTUAL music from that period. I do prefer Renaissance music because there are some "sad" pieces while genuine Medieval music is mostly profane/fair music, traditional folk songs, or music to dance to.
Renaissance music is more emotional, goes along with the intensity of the Arts of the whole period while Medieval music was lighter, for court dancing or fair dancing. Music to get drunk to and dance to. Some traditional folk tales have some spicy lyrics.

Anyway people looking for REAL Medieval music use the term ARS ANTIQUA
this is your key word

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
xray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
ADB wrote:
Seems to be a bit of a disconnect between actual medieval music and people fucking around with what they think medieval music should sound like

Indeed that's why some of us mentioned REAL ACTUAL music from that period.

Indeed. At the same time, the OP mentioned a modern interpretation as something s/he liked, so it seemed prudent to mention some other modern interpretations (Estampie) along with those that hew closer to the originals (Savall). I've known many people who, for example, love the "eastern-sounding" bits of DCD, but can't stand qawwali or other indigenous styles.

As long as one is clear what is modernized and what tries to draw only from historical sources, I think it's OK to recommend both. There's really no right or wrong answer when looking for a flavor of music. If one was writing their PhD thesis on it, well that's something different. YMMV, etc etc.
john matrix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Medieval Music Reply with quote

Chicken_Dance wrote:
john matrix wrote:
Recommend me some medieval music. Preferably on acoustic/traditional instruments. It's hard to describe what I mean since I know dick about this subject, but I'm looking for stuff that is similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-xUqSfn6hE
/
Is this a famous piece of Medieval music? I have an old documentary that has another version of this exact song.

I think so. There was an interview with the band where they explained that the acoustic songs on the album were interpretations of traditional works, as opposed to the heavier songs which are originals.
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
ADB wrote:

Indeed that's why some of us mentioned REAL ACTUAL music from that period. I do prefer Renaissance music because there are some "sad" pieces while genuine Medieval music is mostly profane/fair music, traditional folk songs, or music to dance to.
Renaissance music is more emotional, goes along with the intensity of the Arts of the whole period while Medieval music was lighter, for court dancing or fair dancing. Music to get drunk to and dance to. Some traditional folk tales have some spicy lyrics.

Anyway people looking for REAL Medieval music use the term ARS ANTIQUAthis is your key word

Spot on, the popular idea of what medieval music should be and what it actually is are two different thing, as you've pointed out. I was going to quote you before, just a bit CBF this morning Wink
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Gregorian Chant is a form of religious music that was popular during medieval times, which everyone here have heard at some point (they sometimes find there way as intros on black metal albums hehehehe)
probert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a release of gregorian chants that came out in the early 90s that made it to #1 on the charts here. i remember buying the double tape and i would listen to that and ladysmith black mambazo while burning black candles and incense.. apparently trying to summon.. something. id never heard stuff so eerie and foreign before.
john matrix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
there was a release of gregorian chants that came out in the early 90s that made it to #1 on the charts here. i remember buying the double tape and i would listen to that and ladysmith black mambazo while burning black candles and incense.. apparently trying to summon.. something. id never heard stuff so eerie and foreign before.

You talking about this one?

When I was a kid I would listen to this when I went to bed. I used to be cool.
probert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure that was it but the cover i remember had a sort of red/stained glass motif. did some minor research but couldnt find it. "santo domingo de silos" is familiar though.
ADB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probert wrote:
im pretty sure that was it but the cover i remember had a sort of red/stained glass motif. did some minor research but couldnt find it. "santo domingo de silos" is familiar though.

Do you mean this one?

My parents have got it too Wink
probert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dats da one
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few albums of plainsong, rondels, troubador chanson etc. I think my favourite is "Christmas at saxon Winchester" which, as the name suggests, is a collection of old-english liturgical chants recorded in Winchester cathedral.

Sadly, the modern impression of what early music sounds like owes more to video games and those god awful German bands with the bells and bagpipes than anything remotely authentic.
ABIES BALSAMEA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to find purely instrumental medieval music. Most (well... realistically, all) was written for voice. The interpretations, arrangements and performances matter more for this style of music than, say, Classical music or how we interpret the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth (to Classical snobs, this is a huge deal).

There simply wasn't music notation as we know it today in the 13th Century. I think that's why more people who like "medieval music" think they like Renaissance music more. Because there are more instrumental works available and enormous, epic works composed just for Lute for example. It's through Arabic and Renaissance music that most *interpret* medieval music.

The Cantigas de Santa Maria are the most important works of medieval music. Almost every ensemble you'll find features these works. Those works should be the launching point for anyone interested in this style.

A few (of many) great albums I've found of almost purely instrumental works are:
The Martin Best Ensemble "Songs of Chivalry"
Ensemble Alcatraz "Danse Royale"
Hesperus "Neo-Medieval: Medieval Improvisations for a Postmodern Age"

If interested in vocal music, start out with:
Ensemble Organum's "Le Chant des Templiers" (Grim)
Red Byrd "A Scottish Lady Mass" (Haunting)

Re: Alan Stivell, not medieval, but killer. He does more story-telling than harp-playing these days it seems Smile He also uses a steel-strung harp. Medieval harps were nylon/gut and actually had brailles on them (little wooden pegs that deadened/dampened the "pluck" of the string which created acoustic distortion). I've been in harp workshops with people who have these and they sound amazing. One woman I played with had a double-strung medieval harp with brailles. So she was able to choose which notes to sustain - almost like two voices in constant breath.

I always thought that was fucking awesome. Obnoxious reed instruments buzzing, distorted harps, bellowed chants, songs of pain and suffering... loose, go-nowhere arrangements moved by feeling and the spoken/sung word rather than being dictated by anything not "in the moment"... Fuck. Just the best.

Thanks for the words on Obsequiae, by the way!
-"Blondel"
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get this: http://www.discogs.com/Trespann-Bordunmusik-Europ%C3%A4isch-Wurzelnd/release/3803393
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: