P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Medieval Music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piotr Sargnagel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and The Amazing Blondel are quite good too. Of course, my suggestions are of bands who interpret medieval music for the modern ear. You could try some Minnesang if you want a flavour of medieval music I guess.
john matrix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABIES BALSAMEA wrote:
It's difficult to find purely instrumental medieval music. Most (well... realistically, all) was written for voice. The interpretations, arrangements and performances matter more for this style of music than, say, Classical music or how we interpret the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth (to Classical snobs, this is a huge deal).

There simply wasn't music notation as we know it today in the 13th Century. I think that's why more people who like "medieval music" think they like Renaissance music more. Because there are more instrumental works available and enormous, epic works composed just for Lute for example. It's through Arabic and Renaissance music that most *interpret* medieval music.

The Cantigas de Santa Maria are the most important works of medieval music. Almost every ensemble you'll find features these works. Those works should be the launching point for anyone interested in this style.

A few (of many) great albums I've found of almost purely instrumental works are:
The Martin Best Ensemble "Songs of Chivalry"
Ensemble Alcatraz "Danse Royale"
Hesperus "Neo-Medieval: Medieval Improvisations for a Postmodern Age"

If interested in vocal music, start out with:
Ensemble Organum's "Le Chant des Templiers" (Grim)
Red Byrd "A Scottish Lady Mass" (Haunting)

Re: Alan Stivell, not medieval, but killer. He does more story-telling than harp-playing these days it seems Smile He also uses a steel-strung harp. Medieval harps were nylon/gut and actually had brailles on them (little wooden pegs that deadened/dampened the "pluck" of the string which created acoustic distortion). I've been in harp workshops with people who have these and they sound amazing. One woman I played with had a double-strung medieval harp with brailles. So she was able to choose which notes to sustain - almost like two voices in constant breath.

I always thought that was fucking awesome. Obnoxious reed instruments buzzing, distorted harps, bellowed chants, songs of pain and suffering... loose, go-nowhere arrangements moved by feeling and the spoken/sung word rather than being dictated by anything not "in the moment"... Fuck. Just the best.

Thanks for the words on Obsequiae, by the way!
-"Blondel"

Thanks for all that info. This thread has given me a lot to digest, but I'm looking forward to it.

And yes, not to be a kiss ass or anything, but Suspended in the Brume of Eos has definitely been my most played album this year. Amazing music!
Steken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:
probert wrote:
im pretty sure that was it but the cover i remember had a sort of red/stained glass motif. did some minor research but couldnt find it. "santo domingo de silos" is familiar though.

Do you mean this one?

My parents have got it too Wink

Haha, mine too!
xray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABIES BALSAMEA wrote:
It's difficult to find purely instrumental medieval music.
[...]
Thanks for the words on Obsequiae, by the way!
-"Blondel"

Thanks for the addition info/thoughts on interpretation. Similarly to john matrix, I don't want to be an ass-kisser, but I really dug Suspended in the Brume of Eos. One of my favorite albums of 2011.

Funnily enough: I've never been a fan of the gregorian chant cds that made the rounds in the 90s. Laughing
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihslahm wrote:
Search for "early music" on youtube and you can find tons of varied interesting stuff.

Found this one and discovered where The Moon Lay Hidden Neneath a Cloud stole one of their samples Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG1m3KTR5G0

The bit starting at 2:59 (the guy playing that harp) is amazing. Love that more somber sounding medieval stuff. Gregorian chant is also killer.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People into religious choirs chours and chants and monks stuff MUST check Russians Basso Profundo Extremely low sacred chants, great stuff

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
Steken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
People into religious choirs chours and chants and monks stuff MUST check Russians Basso Profundo Extremely low sacred chants, great stuff

+1
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah those are crazy!! Don't some of them hit a low C, possibly lower?
Exitium

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
ADB wrote:
probert wrote:
im pretty sure that was it but the cover i remember had a sort of red/stained glass motif. did some minor research but couldnt find it. "santo domingo de silos" is familiar though.

Do you mean this one?

My parents have got it too Wink

Haha, mine too!

That CD was and still is amazing. Some great voices on that recording!

Blutkvlt wrote:
Wear your cunted out black metal shirts while practicing occult rituals like burning sage and posting quotes from Aleister Crowley on facebook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: