P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

(second hand) metal shops in London?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: (second hand) metal shops in London? Reply with quote

http://www.metalshops.net/ requires a password which I don't feel like going through the trouble of getting. Can anyone recommend shops worth visiting? Website / street addresses would be nice. Thanks.
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For shops, I was very dissapointed with London... there are two addresses that are ok, but I can't remember them now. I wrote them down at home... I'll try to find them for you!
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire Commando wrote:
For shops, I was very dissapointed with London... there are two addresses that are ok, but I can't remember them now. I wrote them down at home... I'll try to find them for you!

Thanks! I'm not holding high hopes though, what with the generally high prices in the UK and all...
destructSEAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauta wrote:
Hellfire Commando wrote:

Thanks! I'm not holding high hopes though, what with the generally high prices in the UK and all...

I lived in the UK for 1.5 years and never found a decent used cd store. Be prepared for insane amounts of Def Leppard cds and lots of obscure (which meens crap) "metal" bands in the hard rock sections.

Suprisingly enough, the best used metal cds that I have ever found were in Australia. Cash Converters was a gold mine for drunken black/death metal fans who used to pawn off thier old school cds to buy cheap alcohol Friday nights!!!
msp666

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah.... There is fuck all in London.

In terms of 2nd hand shops, you will be okay if you want to get albums by Krokus, Trust, Saxon & The Cult etc.

If you are lucky you may find the odd good album but don't bank on it.

Even the good indie shop such as Sister Ray only stock Southern Lord, Back on Black rubbish. Big chain stores like HMV are okay as long as you want new releases and are prepared to pay through the nose.

Maybe there is a shop somewhere with a goldmine of records but I have never found it.
As my crushed bowels evacuate much to my dismay...
rauta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, fuck it then. I'll spend my money and won't even bother going out of my way looking for something that most likely doesn't even exist.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up the chain 'Music and video exchange', they sometimes get some cool stuff in.
As for 'metal' shops, there's one called Resurrection Records on Camden High Street: it half specializes in Goth/Industrial stuff but has quite a few original metal CDs, average price is £10+ so not cheap. As for vinyl, its mainly Back on Black bullshit.
destructSEAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestial Aggressor wrote:
Look up the chain 'Music and video exchange', they sometimes get some cool stuff in.
As for 'metal' shops, there's one called Resurrection Records on Camden High Street: it half specializes in Goth/Industrial stuff but has quite a few original metal CDs, average price is £10+ so not cheap. As for vinyl, its mainly Back on Black bullshit.

Resurrection Records was pretty much the only shop that I even spent more than 5 minutes in... and that was because it was raining outside.

Its cheaper to order cds online + pay the postage than to buy cds from any of the shops in the UK.
Hellfire Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ressurection records was the only one I remembered liking. Surprisingly, Virgin megastore had some Anal Vomit (!) and a cool Saxon boxset amongst other releases, but it's nothing you can't find online. Don't waste your time.

If you want to visit someting cool though, I fucking suggest the Huntarian Museum... it's creepier than anything I've ever seen in my life... http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/about/virtual_tours/index.html#museums and it's pretty much free!!!
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was there about 11 years ago and i found a ton of NWOBHM 7"s so it was fine for me. all on upping street and camden as well...

i didnt see any death or black metal [at least of interest to me]

check rough trade in pickadilly circus...
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music and Video Exchange (Camden/Soho/Notting Hill) is the only place you will find decent metal. However they know their stuff so expect things priced accordingly. Mostly useful if you're trading stuff in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: