P R O D U C T I O N S
 
 FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 
 Profile 
 Log in to check your private messages 
 Log in 

ways to kvlt in portland, or
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fallen_Empire
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little disappointed with the lack of variety I found out there as far as craft beer went, but maybe that's because we're spoiled here in New Jersey.
Back to top
doomedplanet



Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 474
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't look hard enough then. Portland beer scene is strange. You can have a crazy brewery that does all sorts of interesting styles you might see few other places, yet up the street will be a bar with only Pabst and Bud and Miller and no micros available. For a city swimming in beer it is weirdly divided in places. Every time I'm in town I bump into yet another brewery I didn't know abut. Last time I had an address in a part of town I had not been to before. While driving there I turned a wrong corner and while 3 blocks away found a brewery that did not turn up on my initial search at all. Ended up drinking there and not at the intended destination.

Fallen_Empire wrote:
I was a little disappointed with the lack of variety I found out there as far as craft beer went, but maybe that's because we're spoiled here in New Jersey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vegeta



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 2002
Location: Denmark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone should make a travel-book series called " ways to kvlt in "X" "
_________________
Metal Archives wrote:
Illud Divinum Insanus was the 9/11 of death metal

Werwolf wrote:
I actually thought of doing an acetate repress limited to 1 copy just to fuck with people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fallen_Empire
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
You didn't look hard enough then. Portland beer scene is strange. You can have a crazy brewery that does all sorts of interesting styles you might see few other places, yet up the street will be a bar with only Pabst and Bud and Miller and no micros available. For a city swimming in beer it is weirdly divided in places. Every time I'm in town I bump into yet another brewery I didn't know abut. Last time I had an address in a part of town I had not been to before. While driving there I turned a wrong corner and while 3 blocks away found a brewery that did not turn up on my initial search at all. Ended up drinking there and not at the intended destination.


Yeah that was what it seemed to be, weirdly divided. I guess there are no beer stores or distributors there? Seemed like all the places I found beer were grocery stores or convenience stores, and the selection was not even close to being comprehensive at any of them.

Vegeta wrote:
someone should make a travel-book series called " ways to kvlt in "X" "


This is actually not a terrible idea. May be better off as a wiki for the time being though. Could probably get done fairly quickly with people from all over contributing.
Back to top
doomedplanet



Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 474
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmn, for bottled beers I have no idea.There has to be some bottle shops but I've never looked. A quick glance at the latest issue of NW brewing news turned up http://thebeermongers.com for example. I live 100 miles from pdx so I'm only there every few months. If I buy a bottle I just usually get one here in town. I only drink draft beers when in Portland. I try to got to at least 2 breweries I have never been to each time I'm up there. so far no problem. There are plenty of taprooms in the city. Baileys Tapbroom is the easiest to find as it is just 2 blocks from Powells. Go down a few, go into Jackpot records and flip through records on your way up to Powells. Don't forget to go into the underground book & comic chop on the same block as Jackpot.
Fallen_Empire wrote:

Yeah that was what it seemed to be, weirdly divided. I guess there are no beer stores or distributors there? Seemed like all the places I found beer were grocery stores or convenience stores, and the selection was not even close to being comprehensive at any of them.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eigenbrötler



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
Hmn, for bottled beers I have no idea.There has to be some bottle shops but I've never looked. A quick glance at the latest issue of NW brewing news turned up http://thebeermongers.com for example. I live 100 miles from pdx so I'm only there every few months. If I buy a bottle I just usually get one here in town. I only drink draft beers when in Portland. I try to got to at least 2 breweries I have never been to each time I'm up there. so far no problem. There are plenty of taprooms in the city. Baileys Tapbroom is the easiest to find as it is just 2 blocks from Powells. Go down a few, go into Jackpot records and flip through records on your way up to Powells. Don't forget to go into the underground book & comic chop on the same block as Jackpot.
Fallen_Empire wrote:

Yeah that was what it seemed to be, weirdly divided. I guess there are no beer stores or distributors there? Seemed like all the places I found beer were grocery stores or convenience stores, and the selection was not even close to being comprehensive at any of them.




I would recommend Johns Marketplace if you want a good bottle, and Belmont station has a bottle shop with a beer cafe. Saraveza on Killingsworth also has GREAT beer on tap, but a really lousy atmosphere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dustsmoker



Joined: 03 Jan 2011
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the block long bookstore!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doom-Mantia



Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 1824
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegeta wrote:
someone should make a travel-book series called " ways to kvlt in "X" "


annick giroux could do this with her travel blogs
_________________
good users
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomedplanet



Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 474
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn that is a great bottle list at Johns Marketplace.
Eigenbrötler wrote:

I would recommend Johns Marketplace if you want a good bottle, and Belmont station has a bottle shop with a beer cafe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Conservationist
banned


Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikk wrote:
lots of hipsters


Bring a silenced rifle. I hear the punks pay $4/head for dead hipsters.
_________________
DEATH METAL UNDERGROUND
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
throneofmight



Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 2012
Location: Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both were really good in my opinion but I wish I had more time to spend looking for records:

http://www.everydaymusic.com/
http://www.2ndavenuerecords.com/
_________________
BLAZING OBSCURITY TAPE LABEL| http://blazingobscurity.blogspot.com/
10% discount code: ARMY-KGNG-M488-C8Q4 ONLY on "ARMY" tagged merch at http://www.cmdistro.com/index.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eigenbrötler



Joined: 07 Oct 2011
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomedplanet wrote:
damn that is a great bottle list at Johns Marketplace.
Eigenbrötler wrote:

I would recommend Johns Marketplace if you want a good bottle, and Belmont station has a bottle shop with a beer cafe.


It's definately not in the "cool" or "hip" part of town, but it's the best bottleshop I've personally been to, and walked out with a 750ML Gulden Draak, Oppigards Winter Ale, Samichlaus vintage and a 1.85 Stiegl. For what it is, im feeling pretty good right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doomedplanet



Joined: 03 Nov 2006
Posts: 474
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killing choices, I have a homebrewed Samichlaus clone from 2007 I'm going to open with friends this week. Beer doesn't get much better than that.

Eigenbrötler wrote:

It's definately not in the "cool" or "hip" part of town, but it's the best bottleshop I've personally been to, and walked out with a 750ML Gulden Draak, Oppigards Winter Ale, Samichlaus vintage and a 1.85 Stiegl. For what it is, im feeling pretty good right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hobophobic



Joined: 03 May 2009
Posts: 2423
Location: R'lyeh, TX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to portland a few hours ago. anyone wanna hang out today??
_________________
Endless Morbidity wrote:
fuck "deluxe" bullshit. Albums don't need extra trinkets and shit. These are METAL records, not cracker jacks.


holy ghost wrote:

So basically... who gives a cats whiskers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
DESECRATOR777



Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 1780
Location: satan island, ny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portland has a tone of killer places to booze up. even the strip joints have great brews and great prices too!

this was my favorite place with cheap flights
http://www.saraveza.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group