P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drinks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
So I am having an issue lately with my set up. When the music gets really chaotic with lots of cymbals, say for example, any Conqueror song, the sound gets thin and at times starts to crack.

I have a brand new Pro-Ject Debut III, which goes into a pre-amp, which goes into a pair self-amplified Audioengine 5 speakers

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A5plus#.UP3SHInjkqw

Anyway, the problem must be either the pre-amp or the needle (ortofon om-5E), but everything is brand new. Is this issue typical of a lame needle?
It's the OM-5e. This stylus is a terrible tracker, its shortcomings amplifies by the shorter than average effective length of the debut's tonearm. I wouldn't really advise upgrading the stylus (OM20 and OM30 track well but are expensive), as there are better carts for the money.
GiantCogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any recommendations?

It's funny to me how this cartridge on the whole sounds better then the cheap plastic through away needle on my old sony turntable, but uttery fails for 90% of the music I listen to because of this distortion.

edit: Earlier in the thread I see people recommending Shure M97xE and m44. I'm willing to go for that 60-80 price point. Anything better?

Last edited by GiantCogs on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ross

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you guys pay for a Vintage Technics SL-1700 Direct Drive Turntable?? Gonna make a guy an offer and have no idea what its worth....
boogs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKI or MKII? I paid about 100 Euros for the MKII. This is also the version you should go for. Pass on the MKI. Here it is:
Ross

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a MK 1...... another one I'm looking at is a Technics SL-D2. Opinions?
anthem74

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross wrote:
What would you guys pay for a Vintage Technics SL-1700 Direct Drive Turntable?? Gonna make a guy an offer and have no idea what its worth....
What kind of shape is it in? Is it in need of any immediate service or new parts? Depending on the condition, perhaps anywhere from $15 to $50. I don't remember the model number of my Technics table but I got it used for about $25 at a Goodwill store.
drinks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantCogs wrote:
Do you have any recommendations?

It's funny to me how this cartridge on the whole sounds better then the cheap plastic through away needle on my old sony turntable, but uttery fails for 90% of the music I listen to because of this distortion.

edit: Earlier in the thread I see people recommending Shure M97xE and m44. I'm willing to go for that 60-80 price point. Anything better?

If tracking is your primary concern, Audio Technical has the best diamonds at almost every sub-$500 price point. The AT-120e is around your budget and has a fine nude elliptical. The Shure m97 is decent as well, the m44 is a scratch cartridge (admittedly not a terrible sounding one, but has a poor stylus and high tracking force) and I wouldn't consider it on a debut.

SL-1700 mk1, I would agree no more than $50. Mk2 maybe up to $150 if in pristine condition. SL-D2 also about $50. If going Technics you definitely want one of the quartz lock models.
Misk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get over the hipster styled marketing campaign, this is a potentially interesting addition to the market. Especially for anyone on a budget.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0
bearsbearsbears

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misk wrote:
If you can get over the hipster styled marketing campaign, this is a potentially interesting addition to the market. Especially for anyone on a budget.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

This popped up in the thread earlier... I'm curious to see what more tech savvy people think about it, as the price point seems really good. Anyone have any thoughts?
boogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why spend $150+ on something that hasn't even stood the test of time? For that money you can get a good Technics deck for example in great shape. Shouldn't be hard to get a good used deck in that price range. The cart is also nothing to write home about.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my ortofon om-5E... when I first got it, it sounded whack, but when I read over the info sheet I saw the recommended tracking force was 1.75g.. way more than what I had it set at... once I had that adjusted correctly, all issuses where gone...

click for specs

best $40 I spent in a long time.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the Rega Planar 3 like, and what's a decent second hand price?
DemonDuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonDuke wrote:
Turntable: NAD 533

It is a clone of the legendary Rega Planar 2, made by Rega for NAD.

cartridge: Ortofon 2M blue

modifications: I've soldered a high quality NF cable in the tonearm. I'm also tinking to upgrade the MDF platter to acryl and i'll definitely change the cables in the tonearm.

Amp: Rega Brio R

Nothing to add here. Absolutely great amp for a reasonable price.

Speakers: Tannoy DC6T

Exclamation

Now i'm looking arround for a new CD player. Think i'll replace my shitty Technics mit a Rega Apollo R. And for the turntable... maybe i'll save all the money for upgrades and go for a new one. Rega Rp3 or RP6.

i could add photos if you want.

K-mart wrote:
I was'nt aware NAD had a TT, post some pics please.I need a CD upgrade as well,I've read good things about the Rega stuff,the Planet I think it was...a top load-er.

Finally made some pictures of my HiFi System. Last picture shows the removed tonearm. I made this pictures when Iíve soldered the new NF cable.

Fork Tongue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, not a turntable but I'm new to old equipment and I need some advice.

Have an opportunity to grab an AKAI AA-R20 receiver. Everything I read tells me they were a good receiver back in it's day but I'm lost on a price. Someone is trying to sell me one for $100.

Fair Price? If not, what is?

Descension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork Tongue wrote:
Ok, not a turntable but I'm new to old equipment and I need some advice.

Have an opportunity to grab an AKAI AA-R20 receiver. Everything I read tells me they were a good receiver back in it's day but I'm lost on a price. Someone is trying to sell me one for $100.

Fair Price? If not, what is?

What is the wpc? And can you check the internals to check wear and age? Leaky capacitors is something to think about now on old gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 34 of 52

Jump to: