P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

"Has it aged well?" - PART 2: Dark Medieval Times
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has it aged well?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 53 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 87

ADK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Has it aged well?" - PART 2: Dark Medieval Ti Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
ADK seems to be MIA these days so I'll pick his idea for a poll.

Well done!
Korgull

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the only Satyricon album I really listen to, although the second is pretty good. The title track of DMT is great.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
You people are fucking nuts. This album is timeless and great from beginning to end to me. The guitar sound alone deserves a medal, not to mention the drums.

No one's questioning the music, I'm myself still a big fan of the album as pointed out in the first post. What's being debated is if it's still as strong as it was in '94, as far as I'm concerned the production makes it sound very obsolete. It lost a big part of its impact if compared to other albums of the same period, take In The Nightside Eclipse for instance, almost 20 years and it still sounds fresh, could have been recorded yesterday and nobody would notice.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revisionists, the lot of ya.....
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
You people are fucking nuts. This album is timeless and great from beginning to end to me. The guitar sound alone deserves a medal, not to mention the drums.

No one's questioning the music, I'm myself still a big fan of the album as pointed out in the first post. What's being debated is if it's still as strong as it was in '94, as far as I'm concerned the production makes it sound very obsolete. It lost a big part of its impact if compared to other albums of the same period, take In The Nightside Eclipse for instance, almost 20 years and it still sounds fresh, could have been recorded yesterday and nobody would notice.

In the Nightside Eclipse always had a timeless sort of sound to it. I don't think there's another album that sounds quite the same. It sounds a bit dated production-wise to me, but regardless I think it's definitely stood the test of time.
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Has it aged well?" - PART 2: Dark Medieval Ti Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
I still listen to it regularly and it brings up a lot of good feelings/nostalgia/memories/younameit, but it definitely sounds naive and outdated. As with many other Norwegian bm records, it had a meaning back in the early '90ies but hasn't aged as well as, say, In The Nightside Eclipse or De Mysteriis.

I'll agree with you there. The production and glockenspiel keyboards are a dead throwback to the era it was recorded in, though impressively still it's a satisfying album in a nostalgic sense (not to mention it's an important artifact of the second wave).
Wilhelm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
NK7 wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:

In the Nightside Eclipse always had a timeless sort of sound to it. I don't think there's another album that sounds quite the same. It sounds a bit dated production-wise to me, but regardless I think it's definitely stood the test of time.

There isn't. And the production is part of what makes it great- though given the quality of the base material I'd be hesitant to say the album would have sounded worse with a clearer production. Had it been produced on the level of "The Soberlain" it'd still be a classic LP, though given that primordial charm with the shite production I'm glad it wasn't.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhelm wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
NK7 wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:

There isn't. And the production is part of what makes it great- though given the quality of the base material I'd be hesitant to say the album would have sounded worse with a clearer production. Had it been produced on the level of "The Soberlain" it'd still be a classic LP, though given that primordial charm with the shite production I'm glad it wasn't.

I totally agree. I can't imagine that album with the production of the last two albums, for instance. Related to the production, it really does sound cold and dark- like a winter night. The cover fits it perfectly, too.
little_raven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for part 3: Dr. Dre's "The Cronic"

BTW I voted YES, still keeps its place as my fav Satyricon album. THEM FLUTES.
Warcrust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote in the first part. I like Deathcrush but can't decide is that aged well or don't. But this one is clearly NO! I didn't like it back then and I still don't like it. Just like their whole discography. I listened Nemesis Divina and Rebel Extravaganza the most but never been a huge fan just like in the case of Emperor.

I totally agree with the one who wrote Satyricon always was a second league band.

I'm curious about the third part hehe.
krakentorso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warcrust wrote:

part three should be about "altars of madness" or "DMDS". would be curious to see people's opinions on these ...

btw. warcrust: da thread is not about whether you like DMT or not ...
Petrificado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

part three should be about "altars of madness" or "DMDS". would be curious to see people's opinions on these ...

Surely those are pretty much timeless in most people's book?
Warcrust

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

btw. warcrust: da thread is not about whether you like DMT or not ...

I know, just wrote down my opinion about the album.
Dostojanstvenik

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakentorso wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

part three should be about "altars of madness" or "DMDS".

no it shouldn't..those are timeless classics and the percentage od "Yes" answers in the poll would be very high, I'm positive
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrificado wrote:
krakentorso wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

Surely those are pretty much timeless in most people's book?

Of course, both those albums were very ahead of their time and still sound fresh. Herr ADK might consider Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism for the third installment, that's one album that shows bad signs of ageing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: