P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering upgrading to the Pro-ject Debut III

I have a Shure M97xE needle which I assume is compatible with the III.

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't get this? Is the stock needle superior to the M97xE?

Those are about the only questions I have.
Descension

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use for a phono stage?
PsychicViolence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tech question about an issue I'm having with my turntable that perhaps someone around these parts can help figure out for me.

After a recent move, my setup worked fine for a few days, then suddenly my turntable's output volume dropped dramatically, accompanied by a very noticeable loss of dynamic range, and most sound seems is coming out of one speaker. I've already replaced the preamp, thinking that the built in one in my receiver went out, but I'm still having the same problem. I've already ruled out the receiver and speakers as the problem, as when I run my tape deck or auxiliary jack into them they all work fine.

Potentially noteworthy: I moved from a very moist climate (Pacific Northwest) to the Southwest, where it's very dry.

Current setup: Modular Components 6603 TT - Esoteric Sounds Rek O Kut Preamp - Garrond GRX685 Receiver.

Pretty utilitarian setup, but it's always worked well for me in the past. I recently came up on a Shure M44-7-H cartridge that I plan to swap out with the Technics P23 cartridge that is currently on the turntable, but am only going to bother if I can get this thing to sound normal again...

Any help is appreciated!
captainretardo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just be a loose connection. Check the cartridge posts, where you connect the tonearm wires to the cartridge. First thing I would do is just pull them off the posts & reconnect them.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the debut carbon instead imo.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't get this? Is the stock needle superior to the M97xE?

I am about ready to throw my fucking turntable off a bridge. curious how much one of these Pro-Ject tables would set one back? I am considering "joining the club" with my tax return
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
Fallen_Empire wrote:

I am about ready to throw my fucking turntable off a bridge. curious how much one of these Pro-Ject tables would set one back? I am considering "joining the club" with my tax return

I got mine from needle doctor for 349.00 years ago. As astralvesl said, you may want to get the Carbon.
http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/76866-pro-ject-debut-iii-vs-carbon/
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip! I definitely want to get it right with one purchase and not deal with any upgrades or mechanical woes like I have been facing with my table recently, so to me $100 extra for the carbon model seems worth the investment
Doom-Mantia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what i just started using, all of it is old but has problems.

i don't really have any knowledge of TT's, setups, etc, but all of this was given to me aside from the black pair of speakers. the sound isn't good though, and i'm not sure what the problem is. i tried both pairs of speakers separately, tried them together as A + B, but nothing really sounds right. i've moved them around and separated them as much as i could, but everything's still way too bassy and distorted and sounds bad regardless of how i try and configure the EQ settings. should i just look to buy a whole new setup, TT and everything, or try and diagnose the problem and save time/money and use this setup?

the tuner/amp is an LXI brand that is 30-40 years old that is a set w/ the chrome speakers, and the NHT black speakers are from 1989. all the speaker connections are loose wire connections, not plug in banana head. the turntable is a JVC L-E88 that also has a problem with the tonearm to where it won't play to the end of the record and gets stuck on a loop about 3/4 of the way through. i recently replaced the needle with a cheap one i got off of ebay. i'm only in this whole setup $65 for the black speakers i got used/refoamed so like i said the rest was free but i want to be able to play my lps and enjoy them instead of not being satisfied with sound quality, etc.

i've been looking over this thread and searching online alot for any improvements in buying a new setup. i'm not sure what i should buy if i did replace everything, but i wouldnt want to settle for a cheap wal-mart turntable and would rather invest a decent (but not crazy) amount into something.
jeegz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sound buy a separate phono pre-amp. NAD and Cambridge audio have budget pre amps
Doom-Mantia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to say i had a pre-amp, but it didn't seem like it helped the sound.
Descension

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom-Mantia wrote:
this is what i just started using, all of it is old but has problems.

i don't really have any knowledge of TT's, setups, etc, but all of this was given to me aside from the black pair of speakers. the sound isn't good though, and i'm not sure what the problem is. i tried both pairs of speakers separately, tried them together as A + B, but nothing really sounds right. i've moved them around and separated them as much as i could, but everything's still way too bassy and distorted and sounds bad regardless of how i try and configure the EQ settings. should i just look to buy a whole new setup, TT and everything, or try and diagnose the problem and save time/money and use this setup?
Some things to diagnose. Plug in a CD or cassette player to another IN and see if the issue is just on that one input is
the tuner/amp is an LXI brand that is 30-40 years old that is a set w/ the chrome speakers, and the NHT black speakers are from 1989. all the speaker connections are loose wire connections, not plug in banana head. the turntable is a JVC L-E88 that also has a problem with the tonearm to where it won't play to the end of the record and gets stuck on a loop about 3/4 of the way through. i recently replaced the needle with a cheap one i got off of ebay. i'm only in this whole setup $65 for the black speakers i got used/refoamed so like i said the rest was free but i want to be able to play my lps and enjoy them instead of not being satisfied with sound quality, etc.

i've been looking over this thread and searching online alot for any improvements in buying a new setup. i'm not sure what i should buy if i did replace everything, but i wouldnt want to settle for a cheap wal-mart turntable and would rather invest a decent (but not crazy) amount into something.

Some things to diagnose first: Plug in a CD or cassette player to another input on the integrated amp and see if the issue is just on that one input, or is on all of the inputs. This will point to the TT too, possibly.

What is the distortion like? Be more specific. Is it in both channels? Is one louder, etc., than the other?
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks will be dissapointed but I just got this:

blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wood grain is beautiful ! Shocked
Doomerology

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Pro-Ject fan, but that is beautiful. I hope you enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 36 of 50

Jump to: