P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Custom fees from the US?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to get hit with the customs charge when ordering from The End Records a lot a few years back.
Since then I have not had that misfortune since.

It's like you pay them for them to open and inspect your package to say, ahhh, indeed, it is not a bomb. Seal it up boys and charge the guy an extra $20 for our efforts.

Thanks. Wink
Blood Music

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exactly true. The customs fees are generally VAT (within Europe) with an extra on top. The extra is to pay them for their time, but in my experience, it's only like 1-2 EUR.

For Europe, the VAT collected goes to the local (state) government, as virtually any purchase from a retailer within EU. I do believe this is just:

a) an extra way for EU countries to collect taxes to pay for hefty benefits (free health care, free university, etc.)
b) a way to prevent unregulated imports for redistribution at cheaper prices.

There used to be more leeway, but I'm pretty sure they got used to lots of people marking things down low as GIFT, and illegally skirting the system. That's why the minimum is 20 EUR now and difficult to avoid.

Customs work the same elsewhere. At least for USA, the importation is much more lenient, but I believe it's still in place to prevent high volumes of unregulated trade and cleverly avoiding government tax involvement.

That's all.

Blood Music
http://www.blood-music.com
http://www.facebook.com/BlooodMusic
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one this morning, from the US and this time for fucking 337SEK/€40!! Shocked

Contemplating letting it return to the seller and getting a refund.

is this happening to anyone else in the EU??

I've one more package due from the US (The End Records) and I think that'll be that. If I pay this 337Kr that'll be close to €100 in customs fees alone for the last month. Fuck off.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it happen a few times to me in the UK as well- years of never having a problem and then suddenly a few customs charges. I've pretty much stopped ordering from the US/Canada because of this simply because it's so random I can get a big package of lps without a problem and then get charged on a single cd.
Weltering in Blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
I've had it happen a few times to me in the UK as well- years of never having a problem and then suddenly a few customs charges. I've pretty much stopped ordering from the US/Canada because of this simply because it's so random I can get a big package of lps without a problem and then get charged on a single cd.

I had hoped it was random but it's pretty coincidental that the three packages I've gotten from the US this month have all had "customs fees" that need to be paid. I dunno if this is some new fucking tax the EU have thought up to make mugs out of us all or if this is just the Swedish Post Office figuring they need more money for throwing a box through a scanner. I got a package from Mexico today too, no fees on that. So far, just the US stuff.
klaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for how it is in sweden, but here in Denmark if the value of a package (from outside the EU) exceeds about only 14 USD, then there's a risk it'll get caught by customs.
Obviously they don't check every single package; I recently got some records from the US, value marked as 20 bucks and I received it without any problems.

Another time I had ordered a bunch of stuff from a US distro, value was marked below 14 USD (actual value was way more!), but it got caught. Guess they were suspicious of the size. I then got an invoice from the distro, stating that it was all promo items for which I had paid nothing. I mailed the invoice to the customs, they accepted it and I got my shit with no further hassle.

If a package is rightfully caught, you'll have to pay import tax/duty, handling fee to the customs and what not. It's ridiculous.

I ALWAYS tell the seller to write a low value (i.e. below 14 USD). Again, I'm in Denmark, so you should probably check what the allowed import value is in Sweden and get your stuff marked below that.
tormentedFist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klaw wrote:
Can't speak for how it is in sweden, but here in Denmark if the value of a package (from outside the EU) exceeds about only 14 USD, then there's a risk it'll get caught by customs.
Obviously they don't check every single package; I recently got some records from the US, value marked as 20 bucks and I received it without any problems.

Hah, and I thought Norway with its 200 NOK (~$33) limit was the worst nazi-regime when speaking of import limits. Obviously wrong.
wasteland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea about any of this shit. When I send packages to the EU I mark them as a gift but I usually put the actual value of the items on the customs form. No more.

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
Evil Fifi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:
another one this morning, from the US and this time for fucking 337SEK/€40!! Shocked

You can bet on that.
I like it best when they ask for written proof of value for one friggin lp because
it's marked as a gift of value $10. Damn money leeches - it's not the
tax which is annyoing but the damn charges by customs themselves
(always more than the tax itself).
Yeah, I really love these guys.
manes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was just the Italian custom. It has happened to me twice in 25 years, due to the incompetence of the sellers, who didn't fill in the shipping form with the gift option and a low value like I had told them to do. The first seller even indicated the value including the shipping costs, for a total of 30$, and I paid a 15 euro tax. Second time the tax was of 12 euros for a 22-23$ cd. Sometimes the US sellers don't wanna lie to the custom because they are patriotic, that's what they say...
Then containers full of goods and sometimes people from China get in the country with no controls at all.
.aske

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manes wrote:
I thought it was just the Italian custom. It has happened to me twice in 25 years, due to the incompetence of the sellers, who didn't fill in the shipping form with the gift option and a low value like I had told them to do. The first seller even indicated the value including the shipping costs, for a total of 30$, and I paid a 15 euro tax. Second time the tax was of 12 euros for a 22-23$ cd. Sometimes the US sellers don't wanna lie to the custom because they are patriotic, that's what they say...
Then containers full of goods and sometimes people from China get in the country with no controls at all.

You're delusional.

In order to insure the item, you have to declare the actual value. If you insure an item for $200, but put the value on the package at $10, who will pay you the $200?

Blame your own country for the customs fee. Whether or not you call it a customs fee or a tax is irrelevant, because it's just another tax!
manes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? You might be delusional dude
I didn't buy any 200$ item and for sure I will never insure the shipping of a 25$ cd from USA, since I have never had a missing package from that country since the 90's and, anyway, the final price would not be competitive. Tell me one person who insures a 25$ cd from USA.
Then, if I paid the tax to the custom, is that a custom tax or something else? Just tell me, custom employee.
bitewerks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Paying taxes is patriotic."

I don't think I have ever put the actual value on a Custom's form. Does US Customs ever charge import taxes in the US- I assume, it'd be on VERY valuable items?
Mz412

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weltering in Blood wrote:

I've one more package due from the US (The End Records) and I think that'll be that. If I pay this 337Kr that'll be close to €100 in customs fees alone for the last month. Fuck off.

Ist normal in germoney, but some kind of randomly. But if they got money once from you, it will happen just more and more. at last i went for just a CD to them....
manes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriotic: I swear dude, some told me that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: