P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Carcass vinyl reissue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Carcass vinyl reissue Reply with quote

From Earache:

Quote:

Next in line for a Full Dynamic Range vinyl release is Carcass' classic album, "Necroticism"! This has not been available on vinyl since it's original release way back in 1991, and considering how fast the limited colors of the other vinyl reissues have sold (less than 5 minutes in some cases!!), you will not want to be late placing your order for this one.

The vinyl will be available on our Webstore from 2pm EDT on Friday 22nd March, and here is the link you'll want to remember:

http://earache.com/uswebstore/index.php/cPath/667_668_686

Terrorizer's classic grindcore debut, "World Downfall" is finally available on vinyl again, and selling out fast! The most limited color sold out in minutes as per usual, and the other two colors are very close to selling out as well! In fact, we have less than 40 copies left of either, so if you haven't ordered yours yet, do not wait any longer!

If you missed out on any of the previous FDR releases, such as Bolt Thrower "Realm Of Chaos", Carcass "Symphonies Of Sickness", Napalm Death "From Enslavement To Obliteration" or Entombed "Left Hand Path", you can find them all here too! Some of these are down to LESS THAN 10 COPIES, so place your order now!

http://earache.com/uswebstore/index.php/cPath/772

Again harking back to previous decades of Earache's illustrious history we have three long out of print releases that stretch across the mighty industrial behemoth that is Godflesh's catalogue and now come housed in one excellent value packed set! Featuring the band's 1988 debut record 'Godflesh' (with 2 bonus tracks) together with the 1994 album ‘Selfless’ (including a 23 minute bonus track!!) and the bands mighty pre millennial apocalypse obituary ‘Us and Them’ from 1999.

http://earache.com/uswebstore/index.php/cPath/667_670_54

Is this full dynamic range worth a 2" dong, or is this something I can sleep through without missing anything?

Please reply using homosexual double entendre.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought these reissues and I'm no gear geek but that "full dynamic range" means nothing to me. In which way the originals weren't "full range" then? Did they intentionally lower the recording level or something? Cheap marketing strategy if you ask me.
schoolslave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
I haven't bought these reissues and I'm no gear geek but that "full dynamic range" means nothing to me. In which way the originals weren't "full range" then? Did they intentionally lower the recording level or something? Cheap marketing strategy if you ask me.

Agreed. I can also tell you that it is 100% marketing bull.
In essence, it just means that every little quiet and loud detail should be reproduced correctly within the range.
In practice, turn up the volume if you can't hear...
Vapula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great been waiting for this I hope they do Reek as well.
DSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the DVD which came with the "Scum" CD re-issue in 2007 and even Mick Harris says that all these 'remasters' are total bullshit and unnecessary.
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoolslave wrote:
In essence, it just means that every little quiet and loud detail should be reproduced correctly within the range.

Do you mean the way the record must have been pressed since the beginning? Laughing
schoolslave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
schoolslave wrote:

Do you mean the way the record must have been pressed since the beginning? Laughing

Pretty much. Full dynamic range is just a gimmick term to describe the difference between (in this case) the loudest and the quietest portions.
Personally, I think that as long as there is an audible distinction between those parts, they can go shove "Full" DNR up their asses (referring to audio in general).
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. The problem never became noticeable to me before the end of the 90's when they were they began "remastering" records for rereleases.
klaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but has anybody heard the recent Napalm Death Scum FDR CD? If so, how is the rough mix version?
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn "Full Dynamic Range" meant mastered from original sources, rather than from the CD version that's perpetually in print. Or at least Earache had to flat out admit they were just using the CD master for vinyl and people started getting their feathers ruffled....

That being said, I need to pick up a few of these Godflesh reissues, I like the ones they've done in these 3 disc sets but I haven't grabbed Streetcleaner yet....
Xeniteia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I could have sworn "Full Dynamic Range" meant mastered from original sources, rather than from the CD version that's perpetually in print.

It can't be possible at least with Blessed Are the Sick since they sold the master tape on eBay a few years ago...
holy ghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
I could have sworn "Full Dynamic Range" meant mastered from original sources, rather than from the CD version that's perpetually in print.

It can't be possible at least with Blessed Are the Sick since they sold the master tape on eBay a few years ago...

I could most definitely be wrong. All I remember at one point is they got called out on using CD masters and then those Napalm Death LPs that came out were "different" somehow, ie not mastered from CD sources? But I could be wrong! My memory is hazy at the best of times....
Tyrone Slothrop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Left Hand Path FDR vinyl sounds distinctly different from their early 2000s vinyl repress. I think the FDR version sounds better, closer to what I remember my twenty-two year old cassette sounding like.
Descension

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeniteia wrote:

Pathetic.
captainretardo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Full Dynamic Range' tag is a dumb name, but is not a gimmick. They use it to distinguish that they're using original audio sources (analog if available) for the edition in question.

They use it because many Earache vinyl represses have used cd-sourced audio, effectively making them 12'' cd-r's. Digby admitted as such here (the guy is clueless):

http://askearache.blogspot.com/2011/08/where-does-audio-for-earaches-vinyl-lp.html

If you're thinking FDR is meant to imply that it's superior to the original, you're not using the tag correctly. It's meant to point out that the repress should sound closer to the original than a typical new repress of an old album, nothing more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: