P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Post-Nemesis Satyricon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pick your K.I.N.G.!!!
Rebel Extravaganza
52%
 52%  [ 35 ]
Volcano
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
Now, Diabolical
28%
 28%  [ 19 ]
The Age of Nero
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 67

Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early stuff - I can listen to it once in a rare while for nostalgia. It's so cheesy, silly and jolly that I can't help but smile. Still more charm, creativity and better than most nowadays metal.

Rebel - Cool transition album. I think Thorns, this and some others really laid the foundation for a more disharmonic/unmelodic way of aking modern black metal, that many bands still rely on.

Volcano - Their worst album. It shoots of in every direction, makes no sense and most of the material sounds like filler.

Now, Diabolical -Their best album. This is where they learned to write real songs that make sense. Before it was more like ramdom riffs thrown in together. And at least half the songs are very good and catchy.

Age of Nero - A small step down from the last. But only a couple of good songs, and more filler. I understand why they took a break after this. It's the Satyricon album that shows the least progression from the last, and the smal bits of progression there were, just brought more inconsistency back in. It's their second best album. But I think Satyricon should realise that they just have to perfect the style of "Now, Diabolical". Either that or something new I hadn't thought of.
Mikael

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only one who sees Nemesis as their transition album, some stuff on it differs a lot from the first albums.

Now, Diabolical is my choice for this topic, but all of their albums has fillers.
vociferous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of any of the other black n roll albums, but Volcano is great.. especially the second half. Possessed, Mental Mercury, Black Lava.
Laugh At Your Corpse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EARLGREYTEA wrote:
UlvhedinGrom wrote:
Total shit right after Nemesis. Fuck this topic.

Basically this ...
They became a totally different band after Nemesis ... A band I no longer cared for ...

Yes. They went from a decent black metal band, to an annoying, contrived rock n roll band.
speedevilucifer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the words cheesy,jolly naive for their first albums etc
With the same logic,same goes for Burzum,Immortal ,Gorgoroth..
You can't zeroing everything/
Their pick is nemesis divina ,a classic,followed by the first albums.
After that they became a different band..There are so many groups,indeed,who can be and are far better in their direction and progress than satyricon.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't. Burzum, Immortal and Gorgoroth didn't use medieval dance music as a foundation for their respective styles.
Hellpig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh At Your Corpse wrote:
Frozen wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUK3eI7qeqI

Can't understand how anyone can prefer that jolly faggotry over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXKmxXojg1Y

Because if you think the latter is better than Hvite Krists Dod, you are a fucking moron. Makes sense that you don't understand much.

Never liked DMT. The Shadowthrone was the first album of theirs I bought, but the folk inspiration and crappy production never sat well with me. Hvite Krists Død is among their best songs ever though, but the rest of the album is just bland. They definitely peaked with Nemesis and Rebel IMO but I like a couple of songs from their later work as well. Rebel... got my vote!
Cedric

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volcano is packed with amazing riffs. I'm assuming this Thorns guy had a big impact on this (unless he wasn't involved in this album), so i'm curious to to hear the albums after that.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
If a band changes their sound knowing it will be met with more commercial appeal, that is selling out. I don't think that's really what Enslaved did but Satyricon clearly shifted to a more accessible sound with their black n' roll releases. It's ok to like a band while admitting they sold out, you know. Rolling Eyes

And how do you know they were aware of that it would have "more commercial appeal"? What if they realized Nemesis was the pinnacle of the subgenre and couldn't be improved any further? What if that's just the kind of music they honestly want to play as they feel it's closer to their present personal vision of black metal? This style had never been attempted before and there was no reason to think it would have made them millionaires -in fact it didn't. Spare us your "it's in antithesis with what bm is supposed to be bla blahhh" forced tryhardism if you think you're entitled to a reply.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Volcano was an attempt towards more commercial sounds, but I don't see how maintaining this kind of style for three albums in a row is a "sell out" for a band like Satyricon. I mean, seriously, I usually hear negative words about their recent albums and how they should return to older sounds.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like any Satyricon I've heard after The Shadowthrone but let's skip ahead to Volcano since Nemesis Divina is still a pure black metal album. Volcano has very good production, the riffs are played in a verse chorus verse manner, and the vocals are much more clear and intelligible, courtesy of voice enhancement. All ingredients for a more commercially accessible album.

Maybe they did just want to play in that style but they still sold out. They went a route that was clearly going to make them more money than their straight-forward black metal output. Why don't you stop getting so butt-hurt about this and just admit it? If you like them anyway then why does it matter?
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
Perhaps Volcano was an attempt towards more commercial sounds, but I don't see how maintaining this kind of style for three albums in a row is a "sell out" for a band like Satyricon. I mean, seriously, I usually hear negative words about their recent albums and how they should return to older sounds.

Well yeah, from bitter curmudgeon black metal fans like me who think black n' roll is dumb. They've still sold more albums than they did in their early days because their current sound reaches a wider audience. It would make sense for them to want to continue down that path.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people who listen to extreme metal started doing so because normal traditionally structured rock music did not appeal to them. I know that I find probably 98% of rock music to be completely uninteresting, always have. It's only natural for people who feel similarly to not like albums that regress back to a more accessible style.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
I don't like any Satyricon I've heard after The Shadowthrone but let's skip ahead to Volcano since Nemesis Divina is still a pure black metal album. Volcano has very good production, the riffs are played in a verse chorus verse manner, and the vocals are much more clear and intelligible, courtesy of voice enhancement. All ingredients for a more commercially accessible album.

Maybe they did just want to play in that style but they still sold out. They went a route that was clearly going to make them more money than their straight-forward black metal output. Why don't you stop getting so butt-hurt about this and just admit it? If you like them anyway then why does it matter?

You're right. It doesn't matter, because it doesn't really exist. A person who likes music, listens to it because it's good and doesn't care why the people behind the music made it that way. People who care if a band has sold out nor not, are not into the music but just want to cult.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:

It doesn't actually, the opinion of a 20-something defender of the black metal faith is irrelevant as a matter of fact. Fact remains, it was no sell-out but natural development, it's not like they went from Nemesis Divina to King in a couple of months, there's clear progression starting with a transition album like Rebel and leading to Age of Nero in a 12-year long evolution. Anyway, I'm sure Vatra Sumpor will be eager to recommend you dozens of shitty Ukrainian demobands doing your beloved 2-riffs-under-blastbeat thing so fear not, the black flame is still burning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: