P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Post-Nemesis Satyricon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pick your K.I.N.G.!!!
Rebel Extravaganza
52%
 52%  [ 35 ]
Volcano
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
Now, Diabolical
28%
 28%  [ 19 ]
The Age of Nero
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 67

obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
obscureinfinity wrote:
Well they progressively got more and more commercial after The Shadowthrone. No doubt. I just think they really hit the "we're trying to make some money here" nail on the head with Volcano.

I really can't agree, just watch Mother North's video clip and tell me that's not commercial for a black metal band. I would agree in the case the rest of Volcano would sound as polished as FFH does, and by the way I'm not a fan of their other black n' roll albums, so I have no reason to defend them. I just think that for a number of factors they're far from what I'd personally call as sell out.

Did you read my post? I'm pretty sure we're agreeing with each other. Are you trying to argue that Nemesis Divina has a more commercial sound than Volcano?
Antimosh003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satyricon.
Dalen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:
Did you read my post? I'm pretty sure we're agreeing with each other. Are you trying to argue that Nemesis Divina has a more commercial sound than Volcano?

Not really, I was aiming at your "we're trying to make some money here" remark. The difference is it's been nearly 2 decades since ND was out, thus it's more of a "classic" to you (regardless whether you like it or not). And classics are never sell outs.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. I never argued that Satyricon sold out with Nemesis Divina but I agree that it's a lot more accessible than The Shadowthrone.
Dalen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying I don't see any big differences between ND and Volcano taken into account the times these were released. If Volcano's a sell out to you, then ND should be as well.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not going to sit here and debate whether or not one is more accessible than the other. Nemesis Divina sounds closer to their early days than Volcano does. I'll leave it at that.
Worthless Joke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscureinfinity wrote:

That being said, we're talking about underground music here. For it to continue to appeal to fans of the style, the genre has to adhere to certain principles that allow it to maintain its niche following. That's just how it works. It makes perfect sense why me and other fans of the style don't like a more accessible take on black metal.

NO! That's the way it is today. That's true. But that's not the way it has always been. Back in the 80's and early 90's, 5 times as many people were into death and black metal, because the music was good. Many people stopped listening to the genre because it stopped being good - ie. more and more bands, fewer and fewer truely great bands, and the great bands don't get more hype than the bad/OK ones, so it's very hard to find them.

So when you don't get anymore good music, of course most are going to leave the scene. Today mostly people who are into it because the "genre adheres to certain principles" are left. And in that light it does make perfect sense why you and others don't like for example newer Satyricon.

Maybe this situation will never change, and metal music will be left in this rot forever or until it dies completely. But who knows, maybe something changes. Maybe people will get into the music again and the good bands out there can be brought forward.
obscureinfinity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. Black n' roll, DSBM, shoegaze/hipster/whatever black metal, etc. are relatively modern incarnations. It's black metal made for people who wouldn't like black metal otherwise so of course it's going to alienate at least some fans of the 80s/90s scene. I think those bands are watered down but I don't think experimentation in black metal is a bad thing. I just prefer that they do that while sticking to the roots of the genre in some way. That being said, there are definitely some modern bands carrying the torch of their predecessors while simultaneously doing something original with the genre but they're becoming increasingly difficult to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: