P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Iron Maiden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Up the Irons!
Iron Maiden
20%
 20%  [ 37 ]
Killers
15%
 15%  [ 28 ]
The Number of the Beast
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
Piece of Mind
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Powerslave
15%
 15%  [ 28 ]
Somewhere in Time
13%
 13%  [ 24 ]
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
14%
 14%  [ 26 ]
No Prayer for the Dying
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Fear of the Dark
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 183

Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warcrust wrote:
Who said to you for example 22 Acacia is a timeless Maiden classic? Just because it appeared on Live After Death?

My copy surely has no "22 Acacia Avenue", but still it is a timeless classic.
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Pestkrieg wrote:
NK7 wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

Isn't it a bit subjective? Who said to you for example 22 Acacia is a timeless Maiden classic? Just because it appeared on Live After Death?

No, because it has become regular part of the band's setlist for a number of years and it's still acclaimed by long-term fans as one of their absolute highlights.

So, either the band choose to keep it in their set (their subjective choice) or the fans demand it (their subjective choice). It's popular within the fanbase and band, there's no debate about that, and perhaps that's enough to make it classic, but it's hardly a measure of objective quality - could easily be seen as pandering to the demands of a) live shows, which suit high-tempo, singalong songs or b) a fanbase which is hardly guaranteed to have a high average intelligence, or ability to make aesthetic judgements. The Iron Maiden audience isn't much different to the audience for a popular rock band, in terms of it's perception and understanding of aesthetics, and that's hardly likely to provide a compelling case for quality.

The democratic approach usually works well to tell what's objectively good from what is objectively bad. If I tell 100 people a joke and 99 don't laugh, the joke is flawed.

Or 99 per cent don't understand the joke. Quite possible that a large percentage of Maiden's audience are looking for something quite simple in their music, which, while working for a live environment, isn't necessarily likely to be an indicator of their highest quality music.
Solarfall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
Solarfall wrote:
You can't evaluate an album quality by counting the ratio of "classic" songs, and call this an objective rating.
In that case, the best IM album would be one of their best-of

Quite probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board, and that's saying a lot.

... says the guy who just wrote : "ok, here is the objective ranking of Maiden's albums : no need to argue by the way"

You're some kind of Heavy Metal Prophet/Analyst, right ? Laughing
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
"To Tame A Land" is one of the best songs they ever did. Frank Herbert should have acknowledged more:

Quote:
"Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially bands like Iron Maiden."

Best Dick-in-son's song by far, "Total eclipse" following closely though.
spectre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalinorgel wrote:
Warcrust wrote:
Who said to you for example 22 Acacia is a timeless Maiden classic? Just because it appeared on Live After Death?

22 Acacia Ave appears on the 2cd reissue but isn't on the original I believe.
Stalinorgel
banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't find it right now, but I think mine is a 1985 pressing. It is surely one of the oldest and first CDs I had. The booklet looks terrible by now.

Anyway, the bigger a band (and its fanbase is), the more representative and coherent their collective perception is. So of course there is a general consensus about what their hits are or which albums sucked. It's statistically robust, so to say.

And with a band like Iron Maiden, that probably 95% of all Metalheads at least appreciate to some degree, you can be sure there is a common truth about their output, like NK7 said.
Manawydan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeonblade wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
Brave New World is a killer album as well...

The best reunion album for sure. One of my favourite albums in general, but it's an important album to me. Was the album that got me into Maiden and opened me up to more metal.

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is a hugely under appreciated song, I think. It just soars, and that clean break is beautiful.

I also think bnw is the best of the reunion albums but some of it feels like its been over worked and forced!
Saltrubbed Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was/is a pretty cool site called the Iron Maiden Commentary and they have song analysis and fan gradings.
Warcrust

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre wrote:
Stalinorgel wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

Appears on the original DLP as well.
Demoniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warcrust wrote:
spectre wrote:
Stalinorgel wrote:
Warcrust wrote:

Appears on the original DLP as well.

Exactly. The old CD pressings omitted the D-side of the original double vinyl, later these songs got included again on the remastered DCD edition.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Manawydan"]
Aeonblade wrote:
Werewolf wrote:
Brave New World is a killer album as well...

The best reunion album for sure. One of my favourite albums in general, but it's an important album to me. Was the album that got me into Maiden and opened me up to more metal.

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is a hugely under appreciated song, I think. It just soars, and that clean break is beautiful.

What about "Dream of mirrors" and "Ghost of the navigator"? Sheer perfection. Best heavy metal album for a reunion indeed.
PeterVenkman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood brothers is an excellent song as well.
Aeonblade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always found Dream of Mirrors a little too long, but Ghost of the Navigator is one of the better songs on the album.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave New World is definitely my least favorite reunion album from them. It's just waaaay too repetitive (although all the new albums suffer from this,t BNW is the worst offender) . Ghost of the Navigator is an absolutely perfect song to me, though.

My only gripe with Maiden's studio albums nowadays is that most songs are needlessly long and repetitive. Someone needs to hit the edit button at some point. There are a lot of good 4 minute songs buried in 8 1/2 minutes of needless repetition.

I always look forward to new material from them. Whether it's a vocal refrain, chorus, riff, great guitar solo etc etc, there is almost always something in each song that I enjoy even if I don't love the entire song. They've already proved themselves many times over and at this point I just look at anything good that comes out of them as a nice bonus.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true blodhemn9. All their post-reunion albums are excellent, in the worst of the cases excluding the one or two singles especially made as gig starters with complicity for the forever-virgin-role-playing teenager audience. Hell, 'The final frontier' was pure genius if you can forgive the first two tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: