P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Occult Literature
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taranis wrote:
savitri devi and miguel serrano can help you for understand some hinduism conception

I strongly disagree.

For Esoteric Hitlerism, Devi and Serrano are perfect; for authentic Hinduism, they're absolutely terrible.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
taranis wrote:
savitri devi and miguel serrano can help you for understand some hinduism conception

I strongly disagree.

For Esoteric Hitlerism, Devi and Serrano are perfect; for authentic Hinduism, they're absolutely terrible.

Yup. Coomaraswamy is pretty good, though.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustav Meyrink wrote about Yoga as well, but I don't think that there is an English translation.

Gustav Meyrink:
"An der Grenze des Jenseits - Die Verwandlung des Blutes: Zwei Essays zu den Themen Okkultismus und Yoga" (Pandora, 2006, orig. "An der Grenze des Jenseits" 1923)
Steken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satanic ritual abuse wrote:
Gustav Meyrink wrote about Yoga as well, but I don't think that there is an English translation.

Gustav Meyrink:
"An der Grenze des Jenseits - Die Verwandlung des Blutes: Zwei Essays zu den Themen Okkultismus und Yoga" (Pandora, 2006, orig. "An der Grenze des Jenseits" 1923)

The best English-language introduction to Meyrink would be Mike Mitchell's Vivo: The Life of Gustav Meyrink, from 2008.

If one reads German as well, there is also Hartmut Binder's Gustav Meyrink. Ein Leben im Bann der Magie, as well as Theodor Harmsen's Der magische Schriftsteller Gustav Meyrink, seine Freunde und sein Werk.

There is also an excellent English-language article by Gregory Tillett, "Modern Western Magic and Theosophy" (published in Aries a few years back), which deals, in part, with Gustav Meyrink's magical work in Prague in the early 1890's.
Steken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, of course, there is the question of what people even mean when they talk about "occultism"...!

If they're referring only to practical occultism, i.e. the kind of stuff that includes crazy-ass rituals, ceremonial magic, sexy incantations, etc., then it should be remembered that a lot of the big names in occultism actually disapproved of that sort of thing.

Blavatsky, for one, certainly did. The same is true for Eliphas LÚvi.

And if one is looking only for non-Christian, or even directly anti-Christian stuff, then this narrows the field even further.

After all, early Martinists such as Martinez de Pasqually, who did indeed work with magical operations complete with all the sexy trappings we recognize from cheesy 70's horror movies and black metal covers etc. -- i.e. long robes, lit candles, mysterious incantations, etc. -- were in fact fervent Catholics.

So, um, yeah, it's a pretty confusing field.

Anyways, a very fascinating magical order that both a) worked practically with magic etc. and b) had a non-Christian (if not downright anti-Christian) philosophy behind it, would be the Hermetic Brotherhood Of Luxor, mentioned upthread.

By far the best book on this order would be The Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor: Initiatic and Historical Documents of an Order of Practical Occultism, by Joscelyn Godwin, John Patrick Deveney and Christian Chanel. Highly, highly recommended.
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it's time to add a bookmark Smile .
Hey Steken, can't you present some .pdf links like you did with Liebenfels' Theozoology? Very Happy

Alice Bailey hasn't been mentioned yet:

Bailey, Alice (1922). Letters on occult meditation. New York.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steken wrote:
Then, of course, there is the question of what people even mean when they talk about "occultism"...!

This is a really good point, actually. There's a degree to which the 'occult' necessarily overlaps with (or even encompasses) a number of fields of thought/experience which have no explicit connection to anything 'magical', 'spiritual', or 'religious'.

I prefer to define the occult in the most broad way possible. Given the etymology of the word, it includes all "hidden" realms of human experience - everything that exists above/below/behind the default order of conventional ('profane'?) life. This would imply that psychoanalysis is as much of an occult science as 'ritual magick' or whatever... And given the perspectives of some early pioneers in that field, like Jung, or the private inclinations of individuals like Freud, we can see that this is quite appropriate.

In some ways, the study of the occult involves a fundamental shift of one's default perspective on life, rather than simple mastery of the details of a particular esoteric ideological system: recognize that all things, and all levels of phenomena (psychological, social, physical, cosmic, metaphysical) are woven together in a 'concealed' system of order. Nothing is 'meaningless' or arbitrary, because it is interwoven into an endless web of relationships with all other phenomena. The 'lowest', most particularized order of experience exists on the same basic continuum as the highest (as above, so below). In an existential sense, what this means is that your own life, your dreams, aspirations, fears, etc, etc, are themselves part of the fabric of reality. Even though this is sort of obvious, on one hand, it seems to me that contemporary scienfitic materialism results in many people believing either subconsciously or consciously in their own estrangement from the greater structure of reality, as though their existence is some kind of 'fluke'. Even though this belief doesn't follow rationally from scientific claims about the nature of things, many people seem to end up in this position anyway.

So... given all of that, it might be advisable not only to pursue explicitly occult/religious knowledge and literature, but to approach 'profane' and familiar territory with an occult perspective. Rediscover the fact that life is intrinsically mysterious and invites a deeper, richer form of participation than we are trained to provide.

Incidentally - on the subject of 'occult' fiction... Has anyone read Steppenwolf, by Herman Hesse? This is a fantastic novel, and has probably had more of a lasting impact on me than anything else I've ever read.
Wolfsturm888

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a much deeper experience with "Demian" from Hesse - compared to "Der Steppenwolf". It is, in my opinion, simply Hesse┤s best book.
Flagofhate666

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a goldmine of FREE pdf's from almost every aspect of occultism you would ever want to read.

http://english.grimoar.cz/
capeovbats

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good introduction, rather than a 'complete guide'

surprised no one has stressed how one can only read so much. magical knowledge comes only from experience. whatever works for you, works
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagofhate666 wrote:
This is a goldmine of FREE pdf's from almost every aspect of occultism you would ever want to read.

Shocked Very Happy This is awesome! Guess I'll start with Stephen Flowers.
Flagofhate666

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satanic ritual abuse wrote:
Flagofhate666 wrote:

Shocked Very Happy This is awesome! Guess I'll start with Stephen Flowers.

read Lords Of The Left Hand by him and Hermetic Magic.

The Seven Faces Of Darkness by Don Webb is really good also.
Steken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capeovbats wrote:
good introduction, rather than a 'complete guide'

surprised no one has stressed how one can only read so much. magical knowledge comes only from experience. whatever works for you, works

Depends on what one is seeking for, of course.

If one wishes to practice occultism -- by all means, try stuff out.

If one wishes to study the history of occultism, I'd say nothing beats a good book.

(Or, of course, one can also do both! To each his own and all that! Wink)

As for sex magic, there's a brillant new (well, fairly new -- from last year, I think) scholarly anthology about the subject, Hidden Intercourse, covering a wide range of different occult traditions. Good stuff.
Pacifism-Sucks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fosforos" is the best thing I've been reading since "Threshold: Black Magic and Shattered Geometry" by Ryan Anschauung (Temple of THEM). It's strange that the latter is still available here: http://www.fallofman.eu/releases.html Smile

http://volcanic.thrash.lt/
http://www.forgotten-path.lt/
Reliable traders/sellers: dangerass, aeongrave, s.charlach, The Nihil Congregation
Blutkvlt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threshold was interesting, if a bit hard to wrap your head around at times. I prefer the actual ONA manuscripts. Waiting on my copy of Fosforos now. "Catechism..." was both beautifully presented and interesting.

MY TRADELIST/WANTLIST:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21928
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: