P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

BURZUM - Sôl austan, Mâni vestan NEW ALBUM MAY 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Belvedere

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see pre- / prison Varg and post prison Varg as two different people.
So i enjoy all he has done up until Belus (though it's a weak record compared to his other works), but the stuff which came afterwards is "factory" indeed.
DTBRex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
I'm fairly sure this album will be amazing. Also: as a massive, massive Tangerine Dream fan, I welcome that reference, but personally I do not hear a lot of it in the ForeBears soundtrack. I suppose I see it in a vague sense, though.

Did you watch the whole documentary? I am not that familiar with Ambient music hence my reference to the two projects i do know which do movie soundtracks too.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the few instances where I'm a hardcore conservative. Old Tangerine Dream was superb MODULAR SYNTH - I.E. 110% about the gear. So I really hope Varg understands that and actually went out of his way to buy a proper analog synthesizer. Some shitty digital plugin won't do in this case.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
This is one of the few instances where I'm a hardcore conservative. Old Tangerine Dream was superb MODULAR SYNTH - I.E. 110% about the gear.

and amazing attention to composition and atmosphere...if they were just about the gear they would have been forgotten a long time ago.
Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of their music is sequenced. I don't know if you have any experience working with modulars, but the gear pretty much writes the music for you. You need to have an overall vision of course, but I actually think that's the cool thing about electronic music. That it completely obliterates the idea of the "musical genius". Fuck the guitar hero, fuck virtuosity etc. It's all about the love of technology. The idea of wanting your heroes to be amazing talents is as rockist as it gets.
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
90% of their music is sequenced. I don't know if you have any experience working with modulars, but the gear pretty much writes the music for you.

Nothing personal, but this is a pretty absurd statement. To a certain extent MAYBE, but there are tons of layers to most Tangerine Dream that don't involve the obvious technology. That being said, I'm sure whatever Varg owns is the cheapest of the cheap seeing how he seems to have always used whatever's around. The Roland D-50 on Filosofem and Hvis was just flying about Grieghallen I think.
AIRRecords

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Varg just needs to calm down a bit. I will be ignoring this next relese just as I did Umskiptar after I listened to Fallen.
Nanking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIRRecords wrote:
I think Varg just needs to calm down a bit. I will be ignoring this next relese just as I did Umskiptar after I listened to Fallen.

Hold on, I'll help you up the stairs in a second grandpa.
Speerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
90% of their music is sequenced. I don't know if you have any experience working with modulars, but the gear pretty much writes the music for you. You need to have an overall vision of course, but I actually think that's the cool thing about electronic music. That it completely obliterates the idea of the "musical genius". Fuck the guitar hero, fuck virtuosity etc. It's all about the love of technology. The idea of wanting your heroes to be amazing talents is as rockist as it gets.

I think you're getting "playing" and "writing" confused. A sequencer only plays what you write. It's sort of like saying if you plug an Ironbird into a Marshall Stack you'll automatically end up with Chapel of Ghouls.

This isn't really the place for such an argument though.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBRex wrote:
eighthplague wrote:
I'm fairly sure this album will be amazing. Also: as a massive, massive Tangerine Dream fan, I welcome that reference, but personally I do not hear a lot of it in the ForeBears soundtrack. I suppose I see it in a vague sense, though.

Did you watch the whole documentary? I am not that familiar with Ambient music hence my reference to the two projects i do know which do movie soundtracks too.

I actually couldn't make it the entire way through. Laughing I see the reference a bit, though. I guess it just feels different to me.
Madhukapala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speerhead wrote:
It's sort of like saying if you plug an Ironbird into a Marshall Stack you'll automatically end up with Chapel of Ghouls.

Haha...
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its up for order, but am I the only one that think WorldPay is so fucking gay that it makes me not even want to bother?
Fomalhaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen is bang on.

Burzum's one-off electronic tracks (like the last track on Hvis Lysett Tar Oss or on Filosofem) are great in a weird, junk electronics kind of way, but his electronic albums are amongst the worst shit I have ever heard. As bad as Neptune Towers. Not just because they are compositionally weak, but because most metal dudes don't seem to realise that a crappy digital workstation and a four track is not going to make you Klaus fucking Schulze.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that electronic music is *all* about the gear, but the technology is a much more integral part of the whole process of creating the music, and it's so much about the sound and texture itself.

Somehow I don't see Varg Vikernes with a wall of MOTM.

And I am at a loss to think of compelling electronic music made by black metal artists.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably going to be bad just like Belus, Fallen and Umskiptar.
deadskin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samples

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_8?rh=k%3Aburzum+sol%2Ci%3Adigital-music&keywords=burzum+sol&ie=UTF8&qid=1366811455
MAYHEM „Life eternal” VINYL
THORNS "Societé Anonyme" & "Embrace / Fragment"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: