P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

USPS postage increase Jan 27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: USPS postage increase Jan 27th Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
USPS postage increase Jan 27th. 3-5% domestic some outrageous amount international. International flat rate Priority Mail will go up significantly from what I hear.

USPS is the most mismanaged business ever. Those monkeys are running it into the ground. Sooner or later it'll be cheaper to send by UPS or Fedex.

the fed (FED EX) is trying to kill the postal service and/or make it the same cost as their service (FED EX) so it's not so much mismanagement as sabotage. BTW the link to the petition goes to the petition site but not the specific petition itself...trying to dig it up and sign it now.
God Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for USPS financial woes, specifically, is House GOPers passed a law under Dubya requiring USPS to fund their pension for 75 years ahead. No business ever could survive doing that, and it has drained all their funding. Without hat requirement, USPS would actually be in the black right now.

That said, we just sent a large order from the band store to Australia this month and our profit was ONE dollar after these increases. We have been trying to keep prices low as possible, but this is making it very tough.
NN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Slayer wrote:
The reason for USPS financial woes, specifically, is House GOPers passed a law under Dubya requiring USPS to fund their pension for 75 years ahead. No business ever could survive doing that, and it has drained all their funding. Without hat requirement, USPS would actually be in the black right now.

That said, we just sent a large order from the band store to Australia this month and our profit was ONE dollar after these increases. We have been trying to keep prices low as possible, but this is making it very tough.

It's at or below break even for me.
my label is done, I'm out.
perhaps some day the people will hav control again.
BLESS / POSSESS
Z
Z
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NN wrote:

It's at or below break even for me.
my label is done, I'm out.
perhaps some day the people will hav control again.
BLESS / POSSESS
Z
Z

Yeah, I have a feeling there will probably be other labels/distros who will drop out too. Sucks. Another thing I'd thought of is that they should raise the price of mailing a letter domestically to $1 instead of making these ridiculous increases on international packages and leaving domestic letters at 46 cents or whatever. I'm sure people would still pay $1 to mail a letter if their only other option was paying $15 to FedEx. I wonder how long it will be before our beloved 'media mail' bites the bullet? I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Slayer wrote:
The reason for USPS financial woes, specifically, is House GOPers passed a law under Dubya requiring USPS to fund their pension for 75 years ahead.

Actually, the bill was cosponsored by Danny Davis and Henry Waxman, both dedicated Democrats. It also passed the Senate w/ unanimous consent so while it was proposed by a Republican, it is hardly the result of GOPers under Bush.
http://oversight-archive.waxman.house.gov/documents/20040824121851-66621.pdf
Also the prefunding of pensions is only part of their required payout, less than half actually. Most of their annual payment is to cover the enormous debt that they garnered largely in part from not setting aside funds for employee pensions pre-2006.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Demoniarch wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
Just got a discogs order to be shipped to the US and tried out the postage calculator - for ONE SEVEN INCH - it will be $19 from Canada to the US. Airmail small packet doesn't even exist anymore.....

Mate, that's fucked....

Yea, wow. Absolutely going to murder collecting at the current rates. How is it going to affect the future of the forum when you can only afford to take pictures of new aquisistions collected, and it is all mp3 format? Laughing

I can see the next thread of Latest Album Aquired being all these photo's of hard drives now with every song imagineable... the odd person will be like, hey I actually bought a new physical record, it cost like $5 and $80 to ship it to me. I am so happy!

Fucking weird man, for a packet the size of a 7" I normally ship in, there's no more small packet and only expedited, but to ship an LP it's about $16 with a slower airmail option of like $11 bucks, how can a smaller, lighter package cost more to ship?

I'm sure in no position to, but there's a real opportunity for some smart Canadian to start up a HHR like distro, because I can't justify spending money on records unless it's really crucial shit now...

so how much is the shipping for one 7" from the US to Europe?

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:

so how much is the shipping for one 7" from the US to Europe?

I've seen Yosef post that he was able to ship an EP for $12.75... I on the other hand had a slightly different experience. to be precise, I mailed the Satanic Threat EP to Brazil in a U-line style EP mailer with stiffeners on both sides of the EP and plenty of tape to secure all edges... this ended up costing me $14 + some change. pretty expensive... I don't think I over packed or anything, perhaps it was just the additional packaging of the cover itself that made it slightly more pricey. either way, I would expect anywhere from $13-15 for a single EP these days, depending on the release itself and packaging methods used... makes those two song EPs with gatefold covers less appealing than ever! hahaha
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think its possible to properly pack a 7" now without going over the 4oz barrier. Even if you were able to get it at 3.9 oz or something, you're still looking at about a $9 charge.

Typical packaging I use for a single 7" is a pair of stiffeners taped together with the 7" wedged in between, then I wrap it in 1 square of bubble wrap to give some "bounce" to the edges and offer some extra protection against heavy objects squeezing the disc too tightly. I just wouldn't recommended ordering a single tape or 7" from overseas anymore unless you don't mind 2/3 of your cost being postage.
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago:

$20 to mail an LP to France.
$12 to mail a cd to Germany.

SUCK IT USPS!
outlaw-recordings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
A few days ago:

$20 to mail an LP to France.
$12 to mail a cd to Germany.

SUCK IT USPS!

Yeah, I'm getting ready to ship my first orders since this increase and am looking up prices to send people invoices and having some sticker shock myself! Crazy that the shipping costs more than the items now.
darkdescentrecords

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to tell them to order more than one CD or one LP. Then it won't be so shocking.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe labels will reduce the amount of immediate sellout culting. I already plan to cut out my "Black Envelope Editions" of records, but only partially because of this reason.
schoolslave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
Maybe labels will reduce the amount of immediate sellout culting. I already plan to cut out my "Black Envelope Editions" of records, but only partially because of this reason.

Or just make minimum purchase limits, I remember lots of distros used to (and still do) have that.
If I was running a distro and some guy wanted to buy 1 tape or 1 EP I'd tell him to fuck off. Unless the distro only has like 4 items, there is no reason not order some more shit.
Fallen_Empire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoolslave wrote:
Fallen_Empire wrote:

Or just make minimum purchase limits, I remember lots of distros used to (and still do) have that.
If I was running a distro and some guy wanted to buy 1 tape or 1 EP I'd tell him to fuck off. Unless the distro only has like 4 items, there is no reason not order some more shit.

Personally I don't mind at all if someone wants to buy only one thing. It happens a lot, particularly with domestic orders. What I was getting at though is that I don't want to make it so that someone from overseas feels forced into buying an LP that is designed to sell out quickly and subsequently getting raped on postage because of it. If someone wants to spend $18 shipping on an LP that cost $20, that's fine, but from a consumers point of view, I'd rather come to that decision on my own time without any excess pressure over limited bullshit.

With some distro items however, an instant sell out frenzy is beyond my control.
schoolslave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen_Empire wrote:
schoolslave wrote:
Fallen_Empire wrote:

Personally I don't mind at all if someone wants to buy only one thing. It happens a lot, particularly with domestic orders. What I was getting at though is that I don't want to make it so that someone from overseas feels forced into buying an LP that is designed to sell out quickly and subsequently getting raped on postage because of it. If someone wants to spend $18 shipping on an LP that cost $20, that's fine, but from a consumers point of view, I'd rather come to that decision on my own time without any excess pressure over limited bullshit.

With some distro items however, an instant sell out frenzy is beyond my control.

I do see your point.
I guess the minimum order is more to prevent people from complaining about high postage with things like "that's more than the cost of the item!".

The real problem I see is that postage goes up, but the service of the posts (worldwide) is degrading sharply. When I ordered stuff 2006~2008 I never had a single issue. Ordered a couple things recently and out of 4 packages, 2 are beat to hell and one has been stuck in Kansas for 4 days (USPS deliv. conf.) after having been shipped about 2 weeks ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: