P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Borknagar - The Archaic Course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think?
Yes, good album.
59%
 59%  [ 16 ]
No, it's nothing but melodic black metal faggotry.
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 27

Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Borknagar - The Archaic Course Reply with quote

Easily my favorite release from them next to the Olden domain. That 1997/1999 BM vive is flowing quite a bit here which cant help but invoke some nostalgia. With the combination of new vocalist ICS Vortex and help from Enslaved guitarist, I think Borknagar really stepped up to the plate here as far as song writing goes and released their best material yet. I'm sure I'll get told to fuck off here, but I prefer Vortex to Garm in Borknagar.
Mikael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good album, not much to do with black metal with the exception of some members, but none of the Borknagar records really do. Yet, I prefer the debut, awesome harsh album.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for what it is when I'm in the mood for it. Olden Domain is the king, though.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I just listened to this album this afternoon. Strange...

Good stuff anyway. It did take a long time before I really knew how to appreciate the unfamiliar songwriting. The debut may be my favorite, but I wouldn't place The Olden Domain or The Archaic Course too far behind.

I think at Quintessence things turned a little (a lot?) less interesting. I remember that album having a weird, thin, hazy guitar sound that simply didn't fit this kind of music at all, especially when the band adopted even more of those, dare I say progressive elements? I stopped at Epic, that was enough to convince me not to go on. Not sure how it holds up today. I'm sticking with the first three for the most part.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuersturm wrote:
Huh, I just listened to this album this afternoon. Strange...

Good stuff anyway. It did take a long time before I really knew how to appreciate the unfamiliar songwriting. The debut may be my favorite, but I wouldn't place The Olden Domain or The Archaic Course too far behind.

I think at Quintessence things turned a little (a lot?) less interesting. I remember that album having a weird, thin, hazy guitar sound that simply didn't fit this kind of music at all, especially when the band adopted even more of those, dare I say progressive elements? I stopped at Epic, that was enough to convince me not to go on. Not sure how it holds up today. I'm sticking with the first three for the most part.

Agreed. I lost interest as well After the Archaic course. I did like a few tracks off of Empiricism but that was about it.
Descension

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I think I'm going to play the self-titled solely to spite this thread.
lsid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Archaic Course is a really good album, but The Olden Domain will always be a special album for me. I will never forget listening to it on headphones the first and only time I took shrooms and it was an amazing, unforgettable experience.
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsid wrote:
I think Archaic Course is a really good album, but The Olden Domain will always be a special album for me. I will never forget listening to it on headphones the first and only time I took shrooms and it was an amazing, unforgettable experience.

It couldn't have been that great if you never took 'em again. Laughing
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album was a huge letdown for me. I thought Olden Domain was great. Good riffs, good sound, memorable vocal lines, beautiful instrumentals. I have never been able to sit through Archaic Course.
Ragingwinter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not an album for everyone that's for sure. But I'm glad to see it has some appreciation on here
Dismal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has some good songs. Although I always remember thinking that ICS Vortex's vocals quite often verged on being overly goofy; whereas I never found the same for Garm's.

Still prefer the self-titled and The Olden domain. Not heard anything since Quintessence.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsid wrote:

Same here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lsid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbid Obesity wrote:
lsid wrote:

It couldn't have been that great if you never took 'em again. Laughing

lol Very Happy

It was in Amsterdam about 4 years ago, in a really cheap hotel. I don't usually do stuff but decided I would "let loose". For me it was a unique once off experience and I don't have a desire to do it again.
Norseman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at their best Borknagar were incredibly inconsistent songwriters. Some great stuff, particularely on the two first albums but also on this one (though its not really something I play often). They went down the crapper with the next album even with one really strong song (Colossus) after that point in time I've yet to hear one single Borknagar tune that isn't superbly lifeless and dull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: