P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

GAMMA RAY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which one do you sing along to?
Heading For Tomorrow
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Sigh No More
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Insanity and Genius
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Land of the Free
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
Somewhere Out in Space
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Powerplant
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
No World Order
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Majestic
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Land of the Free 2
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
To the Metal
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

NK7
banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: GAMMA RAY Reply with quote

Time for some more raise-your-fist metal. Another band I'm a huge fan of, their mid/late '90ies records are absolutely awesome and Somewhere Out in Space might as well be the best modern heavy metal album ever written. Land of the Free and Powerplant are classics as well, while I can't get into Majestic and To the Metal all that much. Someone please release No World Order on vinyl thanks.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really tough one. Somewhere Out in Space is one of my favorite metal albums of all time but I went w/ Land of the Free because it just has too many great songs. I too could not get into Majestic either w/ the exception of Revelation which is probably in their top 10 songs to me. As to the rest of their newer stuff, I haven't even heard To the Metal but Land of the Free II was much better than I expected. I caught them on that tour too, w/ Helloween, tragically they played to a crowd of about 25 but both bands killed.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

astralvesl wrote:
I caught them on that tour too, w/ Helloween, tragically they played to a crowd of about 25 but both bands killed.

Shocked where was that? Here in Belgrade they did fairly well two years ago, about 600-700 people which is a lot for this country -the venue wasn't large either.
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Majestic, actually, except for the two Dan Zimmermann songs in the middle. "Blood Religion" is one of the best of the best!

I do miss the more theatrical side of the band ("Heal Me", etc.) sometimes...
Zaephar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haaaaaaaaaaave no feeeeeeeeeear
Rebeeeeeeeeellion is heeeeeeeeeere

Of course, Land of the Free.
astralvesl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
astralvesl wrote:
I caught them on that tour too, w/ Helloween, tragically they played to a crowd of about 25 but both bands killed.

Shocked where was that? Here in Belgrade they did fairly well two years ago, about 600-700 people which is a lot for this country -the venue wasn't large either.

In Baltimore back in 2008. There wasn't an opener, the show started 30 minutes early, and they didn't open the bar right by the stage.
Dalen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything up to Somewhere is pretty much excellent, Powerplant is their first record with a certain decrease in quality, still a great album though and it's got Armageddon, one of their best tracks. No World Order was quite disappointing imho, Majestic was even worse but it's got Fight, one of my personal faves. I have no opinion on their last two records, didn't bother with those but I might give em a listen sometime..
Professor Black

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the Metal is a lot of midtempo Painkiller-C-side stuff. LOTF2 has a handful of good tracks, especially "Empress", which is ironically a Zimmermann tune. "To Mother Earth" is kick ass too, especially the ending.

Yeah "Fight" is awesome.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
Powerplant is their first record with a certain decrease in quality, still a great album though and it's got Armageddon, one of their best tracks.

I tend to agree with that, it does sound a tad weaker compared to LotF and SoiS (but then again it's pretty hard to top those two timeless masterpieces) but there are at least four outstanding songs on it. Anywhere in the Galaxy, Send me a Sign, Gardens of the Sinner and of course Armageddon are 100% classic Gamma Ray magnificence.
throneofmight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like their early stuff with Ralf at the helm but never ever have been able to get around the annoying vocals of Kai. Perhaps, only in the old HELLOWEEN records those vocals are just acceptable for me.

No question about the brilliancy of the music.

Last edited by throneofmight on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The_Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 6 albums are all killer. After that the quality goes down a bit but there are still great songs to be found on the last few records.
FengisRipRider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere out in SPace is my favorite, such catchy speeding brilliance. I like most of their albums up till no world order then it goes down hill for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: