P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Hyped Metal albums of the 90's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
Id like to meet the NK7 who first got into metal. Im sure he was very humble, started straight off with Sodom, and sat around and listened to the wisdom of the old timers with nothing but complete respect for their opinions.

Yes, believe it or not back in late '88/early '89 it was like that. Unless you were lucky enough to have an older brother into rock or something (which I was not), being a kid in the '80ies meant you had to look out for older people and hope they liked you enough to let you borrow their lps or dub their tapes (lo and behold, the cash you got from parents at that age wasn't enough to buy more than 1-2 records a month -if that many). And yeah most of those people often weren't exactly saints and wouldn't look too favorably on a 13yo brat acting pretentious and disagreeing with their opinions, so all you could do was shut the fuck up. Being raised in a small town also meant you had to catch trains and travel a long mile to find shops with a decent selection of metal, no chance to see bands live and virtually zero contact with other metal fans your age (at least in my case school friends were all into pop, in the best case scenario you would find the occasional Europe fan and that was it). So yeah in perspective it was lots harder (though not always better) than now when you have all the music you want with a click on your mouse.

I know you will call this old farts speech and make fun of it but really thats the way it was back then, I'm sure people around my age know where I'm coming from and will sympathize with me on this one.
Downtuned & Morbid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
jameswolfe wrote:
Id like to meet the NK7 who first got into metal. Im sure he was very humble, started straight off with Sodom, and sat around and listened to the wisdom of the old timers with nothing but complete respect for their opinions.

Yes, believe it or not back in late '88/early '89 it was like that. Unless you were lucky enough to have an older brother into rock or something (which I was not), being a kid in the '80ies meant you had to look out for older people and hope they liked you enough to let you borrow their lps or dub their tapes (lo and behold, the cash you got from parents at that age wasn't enough to buy more than 1-2 records a month -if that many). And yeah most of those people often weren't exactly saints and wouldn't look too favorably on a 13yo brat acting pretentious and disagreeing with their opinions, so all you could do was shut the fuck up. Being raised in a small town also meant you had to catch trains and travel a long mile to find shops with a decent selection of metal, no chance to see bands live and virtually zero contact with other metal fans your age (at least in my case school friends were all into pop, in the best case scenario you would find the occasional Europe fan and that was it). So yeah in perspective it was lots harder (though not always better) than now when you have all the music you want with a click on your mouse.

I know you will call this old farts speech and make fun of it but really thats the way it was back then, I'm sure people around my age know where I'm coming from and will sympathize with me on this one.

Without wishing this to be a back-slapping exercise, NK7 is pretty much bang on the money here.

But then I think this dedication, this journey, is why I, and others, are still here at almost 40! At least 25 years of metal...
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to have an older brother with 80's thrash cassettes that I could borrow and a very good metal radio show that played lots of underground stuff. Everyone else my age listened to either grunge or (c)rap so I was pretty much on my own with things.
asmael LeBouc

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihslahm wrote:
I'll have to say, I have been listening to Slayer since 84 and I can tell you first hand that it is the kids that have been ruining the scene as long as I can remember. Even my older sister will swear it was the kids that ruined the scene when she was 14 and listening to Black Sabbath and AC/DC.

But then again we've all been kids somewhere in the 80īs-90's so WE have also ruined-partly- the scene back then Very Happy

TRADE / WANT LIST ! ! ! :
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12006/
Good sellers/traders: ChapelOfDoom, thetrueevil/ GoldenBull, Hobophobic, NWN PROD
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asmael LeBouc wrote:
Ihslahm wrote:
I'll have to say, I have been listening to Slayer since 84 and I can tell you first hand that it is the kids that have been ruining the scene as long as I can remember. Even my older sister will swear it was the kids that ruined the scene when she was 14 and listening to Black Sabbath and AC/DC.

But then again we've all been kids somewhere in the 80īs-90's so WE have also ruined-partly- the scene back then Very Happy

Speak for yourself. You were a problem back in the day and you're a problem now.
nileppez

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
I still can't understand why people get offended when being called "posers", there's nothing wrong with posing and being into "gay" music. I listen to Jessica Simpson, Eiffel 65 and Blink 182 among other things and I still know more about metal than any late '90ies Dissection-til-I-die douchebag.

Umm, my post was directed at the pseudointellectual faggots that aren't exactly a plague on this board, the kind of metal fans that haven't heard even a thousand metal albums, yet aspire to come off as experts not only in metal, but also in other 'higher art' genres like prog rock. Most likely add laughing at 'prole' metal acts like Saxon or Manowar.
I listen to disco polo music, which is completely devoid of any qualities a metalhead would typically enjoy, and extremely queer music. Admitting this wouldn't make sense at all with others' interpretation of my post.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtuned & Morbid wrote:
But then I think this dedication, this journey, is why I, and others, are still here at almost 40! At least 25 years of metal...

Very much so. You really had to like the music a lot and fight to get it, I believe this is also the reason why metal wasn't that popular among young people at that time -well in my country at least- , also "normal" girls didn't seem to like long-haired guys much Very Happy . There were a few undeniable downsides though: in all honesty having to go through international money orders to sort out payments was no fun and a true pain in the ass. As much as I dislike Paypal, I'll take it over IMOs any-fucking-day.
under a funeral shroom

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enclose 2 IRC's or no reply.
NK7
banned

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

under a funeral shroom wrote:
Enclose 2 IRC's or no reply.

Which more often than not meant "Enclose 2 IRC's and no reply at all, but thanks for the free IRCs anyway".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: