P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Classical music - tips?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy ghost

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlzilla wrote:
I HATE most of the 12 tone stuff. I like some of the more traditional pieces by guys who messed with that style, and I do enjoy the opera Solome by Strauss, which was during his flirtation with the 12 tone style.

I have heard this before but I really am always on the lookout for a clean LP copy - seems to be hard to come by and even though you can order it on ebay for next to nothing but the shipping is always insane. I have Elektra which is really cool.

Did I mention Gould? I fucking love that crazy Canadian bastard. Goldberg Variations FTW amirite lads?
wasteland

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
I don't listen to much classical overall, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Alfred Schnittke yet.

Pacifism-Sucks mentioned him on the first page.

I really enjoy Beethoven and Schubert. Oh, and Grieg!

morg wrote:
Fuck is end!
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must've missed it. He deserves to be mentioned more than once anyway.
raskolnikhilov

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose people listen to classical music in the same way a lot of the people here seem to appreciate other stylistically orthogonal genres such as post punk, death rock and neo folk. Musically I can see where the appeal lies, there is this undeniable 'classical music' quality to a lot of the funeral doom compositions, perhaps they evoke the same kind of emotions, I don’t know, but yes for the most part this whole comparison thing is a gross exaggeration.
criminal

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an obvious and "pop" choice, but I think that famous Vivaldi's four concerts cycle "The Four Seasons" and suites from "Nutcracker" and "Peer Gynt" ballets by Tchaikovsky and Grieg respectively contain so many classical "hits" that they are able to be "first steps" for those who want to feel what the power of classics is. And, by the way, "In the Hall of the Mountain King (I Dovregubbens hall)" form "Peer Gynt" is a killer dark track!
satanic ritual abuse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Or the fascination with Wagner! Dude wrote some cool overtures and shit but you ever sit through Die Walkure in it's entirety? Man I went with my mother-in-law a few years ago, that shit is an endurance test to say the least. Just buy an LP of his famous overtures and call a fucking spade a spade.....

Hitler was a fucking weird guy man.....

"Rienzi" is not that long. "Die Walküre" is only one part of "Der Ring der Nibelungen", which consists of four parts BTW.
There was a really good, in-depth documentary about "Der Ring" on German TV recently, someday in my life I'll definitely have to experience the Bayreuth spectacle. And I have to check out the "Orgien-Mysterien-Theater" of Hermann Nitsch.

Quote:
Lake & Palmer's adaptation of Pictures at an Exhibition, that LP fucking RULES.

This!

Also, Strawinsky was a bourgeois necrophile and jazz is the expression of arbitrary and fungible modernity, that's what I learned from T.W.Adorno.
Fun ist ein Stahlbad! Or was it "No Fun in Stahlgewittern"?!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

satanic ritual abuse wrote:
"Rienzi" is not that long. "Die Walküre" is only one part of "Der Ring der Nibelungen", which consists of four parts BTW.

Oh I know man. I went to see Die Walkure and even that shit is like 4 hours long on it's own. I actually really enjoyed it, but I prefer Wagner in the background rather than being there for 4 hours.

It's the same with Mahler, I like his symphonies a lot but man he does go on and on. I prefer smaller scale stuff myself, I don't need that pomp and grandeur and spectacle. I think there's a more direct connection with a quartet piece. Just me though.
mlotek

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
nileppez wrote:

I especially find cringeworthy seeing those shitful comparisions with metal like: X composer sounds like doom metal 200 years before it existed, Y composer played pure death metal riffs on strings and other gigantic overinterpretations that only pseudointellectual faggot on hard drugs could seriously see.

Gotta agree with you for once. That tryhard shit is sooo annoying.

I haven't read those kinds of reviews, but would be interested because, when I started trying to listen to classical music, I only wanted and still mostly do, what is as cool and heavy as metal.
That is why I (and probably quite a few of us) like and stick to just a few - Wagner, Carl Orrf's Carmina Burana, the Conan soundtrack, Dvorak.

This thread is great for mentioning a lot of composers, but I am looking for anything fast like how Paganini could get, or heavy like Wagner.
recommendations?
SWO

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckner and Respighi are must haves for metal fans.

Fuck metal, hail interludes
Grim Reality

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks to the contributors of this thread. I've always had an interest in classical music, and being a metalhead I was naturally drawn to the more sombre, mournful, meancing and nocturnal sounds. But the scope of classical music is so vast I have found it extremely difficult to find the kind of stuff that appeals to me. The very well known likes of 'The Four Seasons' is just not really for me. I spend enough of my time trying to hunt down the (mostly obscure) metal that hits the spot and the prospect of having to do the same for classical is a bit intimidating! But this thread is an excellent cheat.

Another request for religious choral/chant style stuff!
ADB

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing of "metalheads pretending to like classical to seem smarter" seems a bit off to me, I was classical music fan way before I was into metal Laughing
cochino

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like classical because I like it and that's it, but pretty much every other metalhead I've met that said he liked classical obviously didn't really care about it since they always go "Wagner and Beethoven" and that's it. I don't know if it's to seem smarter or what, but it's certainly bullshit.

And to the OP, there's plenty of well known classical music that's fucking great, no need to go for the obscure right away. If you don't like Four Seasons it might be because you're just not into baroque music. I'd reccomend to try to get into romantic composers, they're usually easier to get into (or at least they were for me). Try Grieg (Peer Gynt), Liszt (Funerailles and the first Piano Concerto), Saint Saens (Danse Macabre), some Wagner overtures, Mussorgsky (Night on Bald Mountain, Pictures at an Exhibition-try the Ravel orchestration first), Smetana (Moldau), Borodin (Polovetsian Dances), etc.
Those are the ones that made me get into classical. Maybe they'll work for you as well.
nonwave

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK7 wrote:
nileppez wrote:

I especially find cringeworthy seeing those shitful comparisions with metal like: X composer sounds like doom metal 200 years before it existed, Y composer played pure death metal riffs on strings and other gigantic overinterpretations that only pseudointellectual faggot on hard drugs could seriously see.

Gotta agree with you for once. That tryhard shit is sooo annoying.

man, most of you people don't know what the fuck you're talking about - even the people defending "classical music". where the fuck do i begin?

oh yeah . . . so, like, the fucking nyogthaeblisz of classical is penderecki's "threnody", the gorguts "obscura" is xenakis. the goddamn deiphago of classical is magnus lindberg's "kraft". blah blah blah, etc.

you guys are talking about fucking bach and vivaldi and all this stale shit, and it's no wonder clueless people like NK7 and nileppez are just shooting you down in flames here. there's grampa classical, and then there's horrid, cacophonous, morbid, macabre classical music from the 20th and 21st century.

there's a whole world of sick classical shit and most of it was made after 1901, and particularly after 1945. dead white guy music starts for me with schoenberg at the turn of the 20th century. then you've got the sick innovations of varese (part. "hyperprism"), the gnarly serialism of schoenberg (a mixed bag, not vouching for all of his work because it's varied), berg (same) and webern (whose shit is crazy, but probably "boring" to most of you). as time rages on you have noisy, intense american dudes like carl ruggles and roger sessions. world war 2 brought us xenakis - brutal motherfucker got half his face exploded off FIGHTING and most of his music is warlike, particularly the shit before 1970. messiaen - who wrote his boring quartet for the end of time in a concentration camp - started writing crazy shit after 1950 (although his morbid "l'ascension" happened in the '30s. elliott carter is pretty fucking brutal, particularly after his shit started getting gnarly in the 50s. if you want deranged hobo noise on homemade instruments check out harry partch's "on the seventh day the petals fell over petaluma" or mauricio kagel's "acustica". pierre boulez' work is consistently fucked up and rigorous and i'm partial to EARLY stockhausen when he wrote notes and spent less time being a megalomaniacal hippy. the post-xenakis polish school has some cool shit, particularly in the 50s and 60s with penderecki's noisier work (some of his shit sucks) and guys like ligeti and lutoslawski. there are some late shostakovich pieces that sound like fucking cecil taylor (cf. duo for piano and violin - don't have the opus no. handy). a lot of the bartok sting quartets are sick and generally intense, but since there's no blast beats or gutteral vocals, they're probably pretty "boring". berio's sequenzas, although not consistently interesting to me, contain some really fucking shredding shit, particularly the viola one. the late stravinsky stuff where he went serial for the last time is pretty fucked up. even lame-ass aaron copland went serial at the end and that stuff is really monolithic - listen to "inscapes" and tell me that's not devastatingly heavy and dissonant! it doesn't sound like the fucking "four seasons".

there's so much cool shit out there that doesn't sound like granny's classical, but i'm really tired and need to go to bed. maybe if i get a wild hair up my ass, i'll write more . . . blah blah blah.

i don't even know what 21st century classical is about since i have no free time to listen or research the shit. go ahead - call me a "try hard" (thanks diehipster.com) - i call it "being interested in cool shit" - but finding out about this shit and what's good or not takes time and persistence, not checking in on a fucking death metal board. duh. very few people here make any good arguments whatsoever - i pity anybody really trying to find a clue on this thread.
cochino

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Bach is stale shit Rolling Eyes
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenakis is perfect sleeping music. That shit is so boring I nearly go into hibernation while listening to it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: