P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Will This Damage a Cassette?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nichts

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Will This Damage a Cassette? Reply with quote

Hello, I need to remove a sticker from the side of a cassette tape, WITHOUT damaging the sticker. I did some research, and I guess you can use steam or heat (from a blow dryer) to remove the sticker. But will this damage the tape?

Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks
Mikael

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the cassette, take the tape away, then remove the sticker and build it back. I would not use heat when the tape is inside, big change that you'll ruin it with the heat.
boogs

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peel the sticker off and rub the remaining glue off with alcohol unless the tape shell has printing on it. I wouldn't use steam or heat. Sometimes you can pull the glue off by sticking a piece of adhesive tape on it and pulling it off but that's not going to work if the sticker has been on there for a long time.

Last edited by boogs on Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Elite

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steam will cause mould on the actual tape reels.
Maim to Please

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used WD40 for stuff like this.

Edit: "without damaging the sticker" didn't see that. WD40 would most likely damage the sticker.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boogs wrote:
Peel the sticker off and rub the remaining glue off with alcohol unless the tape shell has printing on it. I wouldn't use steam or heat. Sometimes you can pull the glue off by sticking a piece of adhesive tape on it and pulling it off but that's not going to work if the sticker has been on there for a long time.

I would second this. Acetone (nail polish remover) works great to remove stickers from smooth surfaces. Just be sure to remove it with soap and water afterward.

edit: I just saw the "without damaging the sticker" part, which makes this more difficult! In that case, get a razorblade and scrape the glue very carefully/slowly from beneath the sticker.
Mikael

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he doesn't want to damage the sticker, so as said, open the cassette, take the reels/tape away, use the blow dryer from the inner side of the opened case and not towards the sticker. The glue heats (fast), then remove the sticker and build the case back, shouldn't be hard.
boogs

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

label remover also works and you can usually pull the sticker off in one piece without damaging the print, however this is highly dependant on the type of label remover and the print on the sticker.
Nichts

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
But he doesn't want to damage the sticker, so as said, open the cassette, take the reels/tape away, use the blow dryer from the inner side of the opened case and not towards the sticker. The glue heats (fast), then remove the sticker and build the case back, shouldn't be hard.

This sounds like the best option, or the razor blade. But I've never taken apart a tape before, anything I should avoid or look out for? I should probably practice on a blank tape or something before I go at it on this one... I only have one chance at this.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael wrote:
Open the cassette, take the tape away, then remove the sticker and build it back. I would not use heat when the tape is inside, big change that you'll ruin it with the heat.

OR, if this is for the sake of a bad tape and trying to save the sticker for a new tape, one could always avoid removing the sticker and just swap the shells of the cassette straight up. by the time you are removing the tape reel for the sake of safely removing the sticker, you could just remove the old reel and replace with new while not removing the sticker at all. its not as if the cassette reels come in varied sizes or anything...
Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Will This Damage a Cassette? Reply with quote

Nichts wrote:
Hello, I need to remove a sticker from the side of a cassette tape, WITHOUT damaging the sticker. I did some research, and I guess you can use steam or heat (from a blow dryer) to remove the sticker. But will this damage the tape?

Thanks
Tape the music into a t-shirt and forget about the sticker.
Rósachd

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Will This Damage a Cassette? Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Nichts wrote:

Thanks
Tape the music into a t-shirt and forget about the sticker.

You are not funny.
Nichts

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordoftherim wrote:
Mikael wrote:

OR, if this is for the sake of a bad tape and trying to save the sticker for a new tape, one could always avoid removing the sticker and just swap the shells of the cassette straight up. by the time you are removing the tape reel for the sake of safely removing the sticker, you could just remove the old reel and replace with new while not removing the sticker at all. its not as if the cassette reels come in varied sizes or anything...

Not a bad idea actually! But the thing is, it's the shell that needs replacement. This idea saves me from dubbing a new tape though, so thanks!!! Now I just have to get this sticker off, it looks like it's stuck on pretty well... but I'll try taking the tape apart and then removing the sticker that way.

Cheers!
ADB

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:
steam will cause mould on the actual tape reels.

That and heat fucks with anything magnetic pretty harshly
siax2.0

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replica production?

my tradelist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: