P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best guitar pedals/amps/set-ups?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
You should watch that Fuzz: The Sound That Changed The World documentary. There's basically one guy who just talks shit on these boutique builders and their relentless lines of bullshit and it makes the whole thing worth watching....

"True bypass??!? You kids don't even know what that fucking means!!"

Laughing

Sounds like my kind of dude, the amount of fuckery that goes on with boutique hipster pedals is ridiculous, especially when so many of them sound like arse; and the rest are just clones of better built yet cheaper mainstream pedals, usually with less functions and flexibility too.

It's hilarious hearing from fuckheads how they must have true bypass on all their stuff, then you see them play and it's pretty obvious none of their stuff is true bypass. Just regurgitating buzz words they read on forums so they can sound high and mighty
dronevil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price of a "boutique" delay/modulation/synth pedal I'd rather spend that money on a TC Electronic or Eventide.

holy ghost wrote:
I swear by the Malekko 616. Definitely sounds like an analog delay, not sterile and clean.

I got the lofi 616 which is pretty cool as well. However I found that when I crank the feedback and modulation it kinda leaks through when bypassed so it's currently off the board. Setting up a dedicated noise board soon and it will end up on that.
Norseman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB wrote:

Sounds like my kind of dude, the amount of fuckery that goes on with boutique hipster pedals is ridiculous, especially when so many of them sound like arse; and the rest are just clones of better built yet cheaper mainstream pedals, usually with less functions and flexibility too.

While that might be true for a lot of pedals (and I've tried a few) there are some real quality builders out there. Fulltone pedals are highly unhipsterish and built like tanks. I seriously doubt that I'd want to replace my OCD Overdrive with an off the shelf Boss pedal. Also, I'll take the Dr Scientist RRR over any noisy as fuck EHX-reverb any day. One of the best things with the independent builders is that they provide a lot of choice, and while things have perhaps gone too far overboard now and a lot sounds very samey (who needs those 9 billion fuzz clonepedals anyway) some builders have gone out of their way to correct a few really bad coorporate choices with regards to downgrading electronic components over the years, while others are doing some quite innovative stuff.

Can't argue with TC Electronics and Eventide producing excellent stuff though although TC are not that big are they? Strymon also produce some fantastic cutting edge pedals. I'd never thought I'd have any use for a delay pedal before I tried the El Capistan.

When all is said and done I still like to keep it fairly simple and tuner-overdrive-reverb is really all I need (as I don't have reverb on my amps and they are quite low gain).
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price on Fulltone pedals are actually pretty good, $130-$150 for most of their OD/fuzz stuff is not that much more expensive than the bigger brands.

$200+ OD pedals by some of builders are where it's getting out of hand. Especially all those ones with handpainted enclosures etc.

TC is pretty big nowdays I think, not as big as EHX or Dunlop but might be partially due to the higher price range.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthplague wrote:
I've been using the Boss Space Echo lately. Not analog, but it's really warm sounding. MXR's Carbon Copy is really cool too, but I'm pretty fanatical about tap tempo so I go digital.

Is it very hard to get used to setting the "taps"? Ive only played with analog clones as of yet. I almost got the "OG" Space Echo. The real deal tape echo for like 350, but the guy flaked out on me.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a whole bunch of clones built in the last few years - just recently a guy made me a Brassmaster bass octave fuzz for less than a third the price of the one Malekko is selling (for $300), another dude built me a Woolly Mammoth clone for $50 bucks (Zvex sells them for $250+) and a guy built me a dyna comp script logo 70's spec clone for $80.... this boutique shit is insanity. Check out some pedal forums like ilovefuzz.com and you'll hear horror stories of experiences with companies like DBA or whatever. I mean there are some great builders out there but a lot of places just make a tubescreamer clone with some cool graphics and charge $200 bucks for it.....

Even to have mass produced pedals modded to quality spec is cheap as shit - a guy sold me a DS-1 he modded that sounds fucking killer for $50 bucks. He does like 20 different mods and doesn't charge excessive prices. Hell, a lot of these guys will just build you whatever you want if you know what you're looking for.....
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
For the price of a "boutique" delay/modulation/synth pedal I'd rather spend that money on a TC Electronic or Eventide.

I'm thinking about buying a DD3 or a DD7, Boss makes some pretty great stuff - my phaser is a PH-1 and it's the best phaser I've ever used. It cost me $40 second hand.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I've had a whole bunch of clones built in the last few years - just recently a guy made me a Brassmaster bass octave fuzz for less than a third the price of the one Malekko is selling (for $300), another dude built me a Woolly Mammoth clone for $50 bucks (Zvex sells them for $250+) and a guy built me a dyna comp script logo 70's spec clone for $80.... this boutique shit is insanity. Check out some pedal forums like ilovefuzz.com and you'll hear horror stories of experiences with companies like DBA or whatever. I mean there are some great builders out there but a lot of places just make a tubescreamer clone with some cool graphics and charge $200 bucks for it.....

Even to have mass produced pedals modded to quality spec is cheap as shit - a guy sold me a DS-1 he modded that sounds fucking killer for $50 bucks. He does like 20 different mods and doesn't charge excessive prices. Hell, a lot of these guys will just build you whatever you want if you know what you're looking for.....

We probably should meet at some point, I wouldnt mind building you some shit either. Come to the next Comfort Zone show!
holy ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be sweet talked into buying a pedal in like.... 5 seconds!!
dronevil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
I've had a whole bunch of clones built in the last few years - just recently a guy made me a Brassmaster bass octave fuzz for less than a third the price of the one Malekko is selling (for $300), another dude built me a Woolly Mammoth clone for $50 bucks (Zvex sells them for $250+) and a guy built me a dyna comp script logo 70's spec clone for $80

I got someone built me a DAM Meathead for like $50 which was pretty cool, the waiting queue for that thing is insane let alone the price.

I bought a DBA Fuzz War which was $150 and I quite like it. But $150 is basically where I draw the line for dirtboxes. I'm interested in the Supersonic Fuzzgun but I'm pretty sure I can get someone to build me one for $50 since the schematics seems pretty simple.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that thing IS simple! I couldnt see myself charging more than that, unless they wanted decals or some bullshit on the enclosure
Gruwel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dronevil wrote:
holy ghost wrote:
I've had a whole bunch of clones built in the last few years - just recently a guy made me a Brassmaster bass octave fuzz for less than a third the price of the one Malekko is selling (for $300), another dude built me a Woolly Mammoth clone for $50 bucks (Zvex sells them for $250+) and a guy built me a dyna comp script logo 70's spec clone for $80

I got someone built me a DAM Meathead for like $50 which was pretty cool, the waiting queue for that thing is insane let alone the price.

I bought a DBA Fuzz War which was $150 and I quite like it. But $150 is basically where I draw the line for dirtboxes. I'm interested in the Supersonic Fuzzgun but I'm pretty sure I can get someone to build me one for $50 since the schematics seems pretty simple.

Jeez! I'd love a Meathead for $50, great pedal from what I've heard but the prices are insane. $150ish is where I draw the line as well. There are so much different fuzz boxes out there it's insane though and 99% of them sound awfully similar...

Speaking of which, any suggestions for a proper fuzz pedal? Been looking at the Algal Bloom or Red Witch Fuzz God, hm.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now Im building a Craig Anderton Quadrafuzz. Its a rack mount effect which splits your signal into 4 bands with independent drive and fuzz levels for each. Ill post some clips when its done.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gruwel wrote:
Speaking of which, any suggestions for a proper fuzz pedal? Been looking at the Algal Bloom or Red Witch Fuzz God, hm.

I'm from New Zealand and I was never very convinced with Red Witch to be honest. They endorsed Jakob and gave them a bunch of free pedals. When I saw Jakob live they had all those Red Witches on their pedalboards but none of them were patched into their signal chain - they just lie on there and that's it. The resale value of those are not very good locally either, compared to the high retail price.

If you are looking for a good hi gain fuzz that can be obtained at around $150, track down the old Boss FZ-2. Tune into the fuzz ii mode and it's fuckin DESTRUCTIVE. It was in charge of the Come My Fanatics/Dopethrone era Electric Wizard sound.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a lot of hype surrounding them, what with that whole integrated rechargeable batteries gimmick (which is a good idea). But I have never tried them, nor anyone who plays this kind of music that Im aware of. Youtube demos are useless, because its Youtube and ths sound is shit and usually the guy giving the demo is trying to sound like U2 or some shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: