P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Another 'what to do in NYC' thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GHOAT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Another 'what to do in NYC' thread Reply with quote

Yep... gonna be in NYC with the wife from July 25-30.

Not planning on going to shows, but if we do, it will be the Dawnbringer show on Friday, and that's it.

Name me record stores, restaurants, bars, museums, etc...

We are staying in Manhattan, in-between Times Square and Central Park. Not going to have a car.

But name anything cool to see/do... we're going as a vacation, and I know NYC is not the place to relax, but she's never been and I've only ever played shows there and never have gotten to do/see anything...

GO!
harorld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galleries have their summer shows up, but you should visit:

Metropolitan Museum of Art (admission is "suggested" ie: give em ten cents)
Museum of Modern Art (i think admission is $20ish)
Whitney Museum (admission is like 15 or a lil more)
Guggenheim Museum (SEE THE JAMES TURRELL SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORTH THE ADMISSION AND WAIT IN LINE) -- this is the big museum show of the summer. turrell has a cocurrent show in LA right now too:

http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/exhibitions/on-view/james-turrell

record stores - honestly, shopping online is the way to go. you really aren't going to find any "finds" in any of the record stores like academy records etc etc.

it's super trendy and shit, but you should grab a bowl of ramen at momofuku. the fucking poached egg in that thing is perfect. fatty crab is very good too. what kind of food do you like?

if you're in greenpoint brooklyn you should grab a brew at saint vitus

Last edited by harorld on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBQ Booking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For record shopping, go to Heaven Street in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

For amazing BBQ (ha), go to Fette Sau in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

For the best pizza, go to L&B Spumoni Garden (and get the square slice) in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.

I recommend going to Coney Island on a Friday night as they have a pretty cool fireworks display every Friday night. While you're there, you can visit Astroland/Luna Park, the freak show, go to Nathan's, etc.

For the best ice cream, go to Ample Hills Creamery in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn.

I'll get back to you for some shit to do in Manhattan, haha.

And go to the Midnight show on the 27th Twisted Evil
harorld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are good recs, but my faves are a lil diff:

best pizza in brooklyn: De Farra's, Saranghina, Franny's, and Lucali's

i find fette sau a lil bit overrated.

BBQ Booking wrote:
For record shopping, go to Heaven Street in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

For amazing BBQ (ha), go to Fette Sau in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

For the best pizza, go to L&B Spumoni Garden (and get the square slice) in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.

I recommend going to Coney Island on a Friday night as they have a pretty cool fireworks display every Friday night. While you're there, you can visit Astroland/Luna Park, the freak show, go to Nathan's, etc.

For the best ice cream, go to Ample Hills Creamery in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn.

I'll get back to you for some shit to do in Manhattan, haha.

And go to the Midnight show on the 27th Twisted Evil
BBQ Booking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harorld wrote:
these are good recs, but my faves are a lil diff:

best pizza in brooklyn: De Farra's, Saranghina, Franny's, and Lucali's

i find fette sau a lil bit overrated.

De Farra's is amazing. Different kind of slice than L&B's but go to both!

If you have a better BBQ spot than Fette Sau, please share because I am dying to try new places!
Humus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to pass this info to a bunch of friends who'll also be in New York at the time. They also said something about going to see Sheer terror on a boat?
BBQ Booking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Will have to pass this info to a bunch of friends who'll also be in New York at the time. They also said something about going to see Sheer terror on a boat?

Yeah, that's on July 28.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3540454&pl=rocksoff&REFID=rosite

But everyone needs to go to the Midnight show on July 27th at 285 Kent in Brooklyn! Killer line-up: Midnight, Natur, Satan's Satyrs and Cauchemar Shocked

As far as bars go, I prefer the Anchored Inn, Dog Bar and the Levee in Brooklyn and the Library in Manhattan (Lower East Side). Manitoba's is also worth visiting, too (also in the Lower East Side).
blackarts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to New York last year, I went to Generation Records. Was alright. Represses for miles, not many cool scores on used stuff.
harorld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude! i have been searching and searching for a place with killer pulled pork and have yet to find it!! fucked up, right? you'd think nyc would be the kinda place where you couldnt get anything BUT amazing pulled pork. i had a pulled pork sandwich in miami (cuban style!) and have probably had 20 different pulled pork sandwiches in the city since coming back from that trip and not a single one was nearly as good.

oh! and don't forget all of the sexy ladies on sunny days in brooklyn. so many sexy ladies. almost too many. almost. but i don't really know anything about this stuff as i'm married Smile

BBQ Booking wrote:

If you have a better BBQ spot than Fette Sau, please share because I am dying to try new places!
Razz
GHOAT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDNIGHT AND CAUCHEMAR??? FUCK!
colt3ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about good Thai food. Where in the city can I go for that?
xray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L&B Spumoni gardens is prime people watching. If you do go, roll it into a half-day trip to Coney Island as well, because getting out there on the subway from Manhattan is a giant fucking pain in the ass. Get some pizza, ride the Cyclone, and then hang out with the "contractors" at a Brooklyn Cyclones (short-season single-A minor league baseball) game.

For pizza in Manhattan, I like Lombardi's (try to go either early or mid-afternoon to avoid the worst crowds), but I've had a number of good pies around NYC. DiFara's is amazing, but there's nothing else around there, so it's hours wasted in travel for just pizza.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is amazing, and it's donation-only, so you can get in there for 10 cents apiece (I usually drop $5) if you so feel like it.

I will gladly second the ramen at Momofuku Noodle Bar (and get an order of the buns as well).

Good Thai food is out in Elmhurst: Ayada. Make a reservation, though, because the place is tiny. For Sichuan food, Szechuan Gourmet on 39th in Manhattan is very good. Not as awesome as some places in Flushing, but again you won't be wasting a shit-ton of time on the subway. We go to Jing Fong for dim sum (Elizabeth Street). Get there at 11 or 11:30 to avoid the crowds and revel in the 3,000 different morphologies of pork bun.

For bars:
Beer = Ginger Man, Spuytin Duyvil, Cannibal, Blind Tiger, Rattle&Hum (and, yes, Saint Vitus!)
Cocktails = Beloved, Lantern's Keep (hidden bar in the lobby of the Iroquois), Pegu Club, Flatiron Lounge.

If you're feeling especially fancy (you gotta dress nicely for this one), go to the bar at Eleven Madison Park. The restaurant is one of the best in the world and getting reservations is difficult. But one can have a leisurely cocktail at the bar without a reservation.

Last edited by xray on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE LAST STAND is playing Fri 7/26 Smile
GHOAT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCK Man, damn! I'll definitely have to make that happen, Mike!
Evilust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intrepid sea & space museum is great.

Rudy's music stop is an amazing guitar shop, if you like it.

J&R computer world music section is also good, lots of cool cds there (i scored Danzig's 4p & ZZ Top's Tejas cd's there for 5$ each).

I also loved the nyc pizza, the eggs & bacon breakfast at metro dinner... And the pastrami sandwich at Katz's deli was the best i ever ate. Anyway, i'm not american so maybe those food tips may not be new for you.

There are some record and comic shops here and there but nothing really impressive... Anyway you may score something good... I would recommend a long walk at chelsea and soho... Your wife might like the fashion shops and you can find some record shops around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: