P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Lets talk turntables.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orpheus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "inherited" a JVC L-A31 direct drive turntable. Now, my situation is strange because I intend to completely replace my entire setup. I have already built a power amp, and will get started on Pre's and EQs and shit soon, but would like to know if I should bother putting anything into the TT, or just say fuck it and get something else. Can the tonearm be upgraded? Is it worth keeping?
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ pro ject owners... curious if any users here who know of a good alternative solution for a dust cover that will work with, or cover a debut model TT... this "cover it" dust cover pro ject sells is painfully overpriced to say the least and I have to believe there is some sort of cheaper alternative solution out there... as a maine coon owner, a dust cover will be mandatory. any tips appreciated! just put in a down payment for a new debut "esprit" upgrade. pumped!
drinks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A replacement Debut dust cover is available from most Pro-ject dealers for ~$40. Doesn't include the hinges but I'd guess you still have those.
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinks wrote:
A replacement Debut dust cover is available from most Pro-ject dealers for ~$40. Doesn't include the hinges but I'd guess you still have those.

hmmm. I was under the impression it will not have a dust cover included out of the box (mind you it was just recently ordered, not yet in my hands) could I be mistaken here? as far as a replacement cover being $40, that would be GREAT though not at all consistent with the pricing they show in their site...

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=coverit&cat=accessories&lang=en
drinks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Debut includes a dust cover. The one you linked is for the RM series, which don't. Here's the part for the Debut/Xpression, but I suppose you won't need it:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Dustcover-for-Debut-etc-
lordoftherim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay killer! the shop I ordered it through kinda had me under the impression there was no dust cover included with it stock and that I would have to figure something out. they must be misinformed, who knows. still, that cover I linked for 200 euro is absolutely absurd. I couldn't believe it

will save this link provided in the off chance mine happens to be shorted a dust cover. thanks!
Cedric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to buy my first turntable and am currently looking into what to buy. I'm considering going for this:

http://hificorner.nl/debut-carbon.html

Someone recommended me this amplifier:

http://hificorner.nl/pma-520.html

Both are OK?
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Im looking to upgrade my amp. Right now I have an old technics receiver. I dont plan on powering anything other than my TT which is a Pro-Ject Expression. So I'm looking for something simple, yet very nice in the budget of around 500 USD.

How do you feel about tube amplification versus reg?
What is the difference between a Line Amp and Pre-Amp?
Also considering upgrading cart to 2MM Blue ....what is a good amp match for that?
K-mart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this for about two and half months now and I recommend anyone to check it out if they're in the market for a phono pre amp.

Ray Samuels F- 117 Nighthawk
Humus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a long shot, but does anyone here own (or has heard) the Kef IQ5SE speakers? They're not that easy to come by and I have a chance to pick up a pair, and they got great reviews back when they were available. However I've also heard they're not the best match for hard & heavy music. I can test the speakers for myself but it's quite a drive, so I'd like to hear some opinions if possible.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-mart wrote:
I've had this for about two and half months now and I recommend anyone to check it out if they're in the market for a phono pre amp.

Ray Samuels F- 117 Nighthawk

You have that hooked up with your Scout? I been hearing good things about that combo.
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried Herbies Turntable Mats? Ive been thinking about it and Im especially interested if they help get rid of static. In the winter months my house is staticky as fuck.
morfumax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering whether any of you could help me diagnose a problem. In the middle of playback, my technics sl1200mk2 turntable suddenly fluctuated in speed and pitch dramatically. At first I thought it was a one time thing, but then it started happening more frequently, until it does not play in tune/right speed/pitch. While this happens the pitch slider light, the slider being set to the "0" position, flickers and dims.
I'm going to get some deoxit and see if that may solve anything, but was wondering whether there was anything else wrong that you guys might know about that could help.
Okkultor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my turntable put away for a while and have set it up again, however when I turn it on it seems that the belt pulley is loose and falls to drag against the metal piece of the motor. It's a Project table. Does anybody have an insight on how to correct this? I appreciate it.

Steken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got myself a vintage turntable with a whole lot of extra goodies:

It's a Thorens TD126 MK III, with a ISOTRACK TP16 tonearm and a Stanton Epoch II HZ9S cartridge with a one-year-old E9S stylus.

The extra goodies include a Dynavector DV6x step-up transformer, a Nagaoka GL601 II weight/stabilizer, a Hiraoka DISK-SE 22-0 rubber mat, etc., etc.

Got it from a true old audiophile gearhead, with the most impressive "man cave" basement I've ever seen.

I plan to pair it with a Rega Brio-R amp and a pair of Harbeth speakers, thought I'm still not sure which model would suit me best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 40 of 48

Jump to: