P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Godkiller - The Rebirth of the Middle Ages LP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best example: Blasphemy. They remained a footnote in Black Metal-history until their particular style of Black Metal became the flavour of the month twenty years later...

They had a strong following in the 90's and toured Europe with Immortal and Rotting Christ. To call Blasphemy a footnote is pretty Absurd. Rolling Eyes

Web: nwnprod.com

DTBRex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Quote:
Best example: Blasphemy. They remained a footnote in Black Metal-history until their particular style of Black Metal became the flavour of the month twenty years later...

They had a strong following in the 90's and toured Europe with Immortal and Rotting Christ. To call Blasphemy a footnote is pretty Absurd. Rolling Eyes

Yeah right, they toured when exactly? In 1993, when their former label sent them on tour. Aside from that, you didn't hear much from them/about them back in the days. And surely they weren't anywhere near as popular as they are today. But thank you for the history lesson. Wink

By that I am not even saying they don't deserve their fame of late, just that they are now so much more popular than at the time they recorded their albums in the first place. And that got something to do with them being originators and bands starting the same all over again, twenty years later, paying tribute to them, among other things.

What it comes down to: What is deemed "kvlt" today was not necessarily the same when it all happened in the first place, hence it oughtn't come as surprise that Godkiller too do now enjoy a certain "status" this band did not have back in 1996. So much is obvious, I'd say.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were pretty much broken up after their tour in 1993 until they reformed around 1999-2000 and started playing gigs again. Maybe it was by luck that they reformed when the scene was stagnant and their style became popular. I don't really see how their post 2000 popularity has much to do with their place in Black Metal history though. They secured their place when they released Blood Upon the Altar and Fallen Angel of Doom. Both of these releases were heavily inluential and much revered back in the early 90's. Just look at old zines or promo photos from countless bands wearing FAOD shirts. Blasphemy had the same type of following as Rotting Christ, Varathron, Samael, etc. in the early 90's.

I don't know how they were received in Europe back in the day. I only know it from first hand account from when I was a teenager living in the suburbs of Virginia.

However I do agree with you that they are more popular now than they were in their prime (89 to 91).

DTBRex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWN PROD wrote:
Just look at old zines or promo photos from countless bands wearing FAOD shirts. Blasphemy had the same type of following as Rotting Christ, Varathron, Samael, etc. in the early 90's.

I don't disagree; there weren't that many bands into Black Metal, on a worldwide scale, in the early 1990ties so ofc Blasphemy too received plenty recognition at the time they released their albums. However, they ceased to be active after this tour, as you say, and the entire scene (in Europe) appeared to be into Norwegian Black Metal after 1994 which pretty much eclipsed every other style of this music for years to come.

That's why I was saying, they would have remained a footnote in the history of Black Metal - if it wasn't for their comeback plus their strong following and subsequent popularity ever since.

Just one more thing to underscore how the times have changed: "Fallen Angel of Doom" was the "Arschbombe des Monats" in RockHard-magazine at the time of the initial release, but now the RH-crew is lining up at NWN-festival for shake-hands with this band (no idea if they actually did it but that's the idea you get from reading their magazine these days)... Go figure! Very Happy
God Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to take away from the Blasphemy debate, but this Godkiller EP is great and always was great. There was consensus when it came out that it was excellent too, so I'm not sure this is some changed opinion in context with modern releases at all. The later Samael-ization of the bad I could do without. I still wear and regard my original Godkiller shirt as my favorite of my collection. Can't wait to own this on vinyl.
Destrozer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I liked both Blasphemy and Godkiller back in the 90s. One thing I can say though, without exagerating a bit, I knew tons of people here in Stockholm back in the mid 90s and I dont remember anyone liking Blasphemy or Mystifier back then. People thought they were crap and when I said I liked them they looked at me like if I was crazy. True story.
NWN PROD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that long term legacy isn't based on passing trends, but real musical/ideological merit. This Blasphemy hype will eventually die out when kids move on to the next shiny object. In 20 years people will remember Blasphemy for Blood Upon the Altar/Fallen Angel of Doom.... and not for the Blasphemy hype of 2005 to 2013 or whatever.

S_Slaughter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Godkiller at the time but the truth is alot of this stuff was not popular and filled second hand bins and sale sections in the 90s & early 2000s. Mostly because no one really gave a shit. Many of the releases which are considered classic & are highly sought after or being re-issued now I picked up 2nd hand or for next to nothing because they were largely ignored and didn't sell at the time. Its better that they be appreciated in retrospect for their merits rather than never at all.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_Slaughter wrote:
I liked Godkiller at the time but the truth is alot of this stuff was not popular and filled second hand bins and sale sections in the 90s & early 2000s. Mostly because no one really gave a shit. Many of the releases which are considered classic & are highly sought after or being re-issued now I picked up 2nd hand or for next to nothing because they were largely ignored and didn't sell at the time. Its better that they be appreciated in retrospect for their merits rather than never at all.

This is the fate of bands until the past couple years, but over the past few years probably even decade there has been a massive crate digging scene. My theory maybe due to metal archives existing and making it easier to hear of bands that were only seen in unpopular "bargain/clearance" bins of the record shop, maybe just now was the right time for a lot of this music to become realized by the "heavy metal masses" so to speak. Personally i think metal archives and then a couple years later Youtube were probably the biggest reasons. Now you can hear a band, type their name and listen to them as a videostream. Bands overnight go from that band you saw in every record store for $5 to some hidden gem that's exploded in popularity. I'm sure everyone could list here dozens of bands that were no big deal back 10 years ago, or passed up in the used bin many times that are now impossible to find because a younger generation found some sort of merit in them.
morg
banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to debate of Blasphemy it might be add that they perform big influence on Beherit for their dark destroy sound which blew Bathory heads away back in such times when few band on ground in that style. Beherit state so many time that Blasphemy made them play way they play do.

Godkiller just listen Norway heroes too many time and come up with average stuff for mid-90s (like so many band of that time) but great stuff for 2013 scene which compare to old days lacks any classic band or soon to be hero.
Godkiller probably more fan than Blasphemy though because no black except metal!! Laughing
Nocturnal Deathstrike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic release... the cover actually looks a lot better than the CD version I think. The image on the CD is already quite bad ... From the fonts and logo you could never tell this was blown up from the CD. Sound is as good as it can get... totally worthwhile vinyl release. And long overdue in my personal book...
I would have loved to get a poster with the Duke kneeling picture .... but that would probably would only look good if you could actually scan an original picture.
holyhell666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will any U.S. distros be stocking these LPs?
gewaltbereitschaft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but shipping costs are just 5EUR (unregistred) worldwide.
Also, Astrum Tempestas is giving a discount of 15% today!

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=747139#747139
Pestkrieg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This record sounds great, and the package is really nice. The label were also insanely quick with shipping, so very highly recommended.
DTBRex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some copies in stock. Mandatory release. Thumbs up to both labels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: