P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Mortiis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pick your nose
Født til å herske
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Ånden som gjorde opprør
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
Keiser av en dimension ukjent
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Crypt of the Wizard
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
The Stargate
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
The Smell of Rain
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
The Grudge
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Perfectly Defect
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 53

mushroomleg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the first three but emperor of a dimension unknown holds a very special place in my heart for a lot of reasons. only one fucking vote?!
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost track of Mortiis after Crypt of The Wizard, and didn't listen to him until I recently blind bought The Stargate. I like it a lot and it brought me back into his early catalogue. Mortiis music is ridiculously cheesy and Zelda-like, but I'd say it's fucking excellent at that. Totally dreamlike and atmospheric. Reminds me of a time when I was listening to Cradle's Dusk, Dimmu Borgir's Stormblåst and early Gehenna. It fits that aesthetic perfectly.

Anything else like it out there?
Nebel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
I lost track of Mortiis after Crypt of The Wizard, and didn't listen to him until I recently blind bought The Stargate. I like it a lot and it brought me back into his early catalogue. Mortiis music is ridiculously cheesy and Zelda-like, but I'd say it's fucking excellent at that. Totally dreamlike and atmospheric. Reminds me of a time when I was listening to Cradle's Dusk, Dimmu Borgir's Stormblåst and early Gehenna. It fits that aesthetic perfectly.

I like the three first albums the best. When it comes to "Stargate" I think there's too much female vocals and I also think that Sarah has been mixed too loud. Her voice "interferes" with the songs instead of helping them sound better. Musicwise it's not a bad album. If someone who likes the three first ones hasn't checked "Stargate" out yet, you should do it. Without the excessive female vocal melodies, I would like "Stargate" as much as the first three. For me Mortiis works much better with only Mortiis' narrations appearing every once in a while.
Roc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Era 1 Mortiis, "Født Til å Herske" being my favorite. I like all the other Era 1 albums also though. "The Song of a Long Forgotten Ghost" has it's moments but it's a bit too minimalistic, repetitive and just seems to drag at times. Out of the later stuff the only song I can really get into is "Everyone Leaves" from "The Smell of Rain" album. Other than that I can't get into any of the later material.

I managed to track down a copy of his book a couple years ago and it's definitely a nice companion to the Era 1 music. The "Reisene til grotter og ødemarker" VHS is pretty cool too in my opinion and I'm glad to own it.

The "Vond" album "Selvmord" is also among my favorites of his works.
Hørus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:

It's only short tracks unfortunatly, but some intro/interlude/outro by Moonblood were it that vein.
2014 list (Seth, SFE, Satanic Warmaster, Blut Aus Nord, Sunn O))), Shining, Celestia, Mz.412, Hellfest, ...) : http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=814863#814863
harmless

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the many synthspawns to arise from the second wave (and bands inspired by it) I liked Mortiis the least. I liked his image and the excerpt on the CMI compilation album "...and even wolves hid their teeth" but that's about it, when it comes to his first period.
Of the later period I do enjoy "The Smell of Rain".
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which artists do you prefer?
firmament

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:

Wongraven, of course.

Burzum's prison-era albums.

Myrrdin's Glomung Ofer se Weald is easily the best, classic sounding 'Dungeon Synth' I've encountered since early Mortiis and Wongraven.

Some Paysage D'Hiver stuff, sort of, but not really.

Wojnar's Kiedy duch wojny nade mną powstanie and Munruthel (ex-Nokturnal Mortum drummer) for great, slavic cheese and weirdness.

Asmorod's Dance In The Winter Fog is... I'm more comfortable calling it interesting than good—strong dungeon synth with total backwash black metal—worth checking out for a few really good ideas anyway.

Early Lord Wind, arguably.

Jääportit's Kauan Koskematon (this track being from the previous demo, nothing from the album is on youtube).

There are actually a lot of new artists working in the style. A lot of them from Russia. Almost all of them fairly terrible. But a few are worth checking out:

Erang's first two are nearly brilliant—really excellent blend of styles and tones. His later albums get a lot more experimental, which I like or don't depending on my mood.

The Til Det Bergens Skyggene stuff I've heard sounds great. I've been meaning to order some of his tapes for a while.

Some of Lord Lovidicus' stuff— Trolldom in particular.

Abandoned Places is very primitively minimalistic so I doubt many would like it, but I kind of like those ugly, old DOS era tones.

Valscharuhn is solid. The guy behind it also runs (ran?) the Dungeon Synthblog. EDIT: Here's the list of albums he used to keep on his site; I'm not sure why he took it down.

It's a bizarre, very small genre. Interesting, and possibly worth exploring for people that like absurd obscurities.

Last edited by firmament on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Final_Verdict

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually blindly bought "Ånden som gjorde opprør" when it was released. I only knew it was a project from the old bassist from Emperor at that time. I remember putting it on and thinking "will this damn intro never be over". Too bad his music never really captured the same greatness as the early covers/layouts did. I appreciated the first Vond album more.
eighthplague

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the early albums. I don't know if I can really pick one over the rest.
Frozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The debut is taking the lead like always. That's actually a bit of a surprise to me though. I remember it being my least favorite album of his back in the day. The compositions just bored me to tears. Ripping it right now to listen to it again.
Hafsteinn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he seems to be selling some of his music collection

http://mortiisbay.blogspot.no/
jameswolfe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This poll sucks with no Vond options. Selvmord is a classic and one of the best black metal musicians doing dark ambient albums there is. Fata Morgana is decent as well.
SoundsOfDecay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keiser for me without a doubt
wizzi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked all of Mortiis' output up through 'The Smell of Rain', after that it's been all downhill. when i was in college, we often used Mortiis' catalog while we were playing D&D because it fit so well...and because we were nerds. that said, i voted for 'The Stargate'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: