P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

SPEARHEAD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: SPEARHEAD Reply with quote

I went and checked these guys out live last night after hearing their name dropped quite often on here and other places.
I was fucking impressed. These guys were amazing, despite the horrible sound of a shitty dive bar. One of the best live bands I've seen in years ! I promptly picked up their new album on vinyl and a patch as soon as they left the stage.
I hear their older stuff is more of a typical black metal sound, as opposed to their current Angelcorpse/O.F.C./Revenge like sound, and nothing special at all. Is this true? is it worth tracking down?

On a side note, Urgehal also played whom Im not a big fan of (pretty generic Norse-core, IMO), but they were very,very drunk and taunting the audience to 'eat their dicks' and played a great cover of Sepultura's "AntiChrist" to end the show, so they were better than expected.

Nicholas Cage's son's symphonic black metal band opened the show....what a fucking joke! I shouldn't told him that his father has been stealing paychecks for the last 15 years !
TeethofSkull

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't heard the older stuff but the new one is good. very much in the Angelcorpse vein. they were great the other night in NYC and played a mix of old and new. the more chaotic "war-metal" style was a surprise having only heard "Decrowning the Irenarch"
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeethofSkull wrote:
haven't heard the older stuff but the new one is good. very much in the Angelcorpse vein. they were great the other night in NYC and played a mix of old and new. the more chaotic "war-metal" style was a surprise having only heard "Decrowning the Irenarch"

Decrowning the Irenarch is the one I picked up. Haven't had a chance to listen to it though, since I got home late and had to get to work early today..... From what I understand, "Decrowning.." is the one that is representative of what they played live (the war metal style), and it's the debut album that is more of a standard black metal release.
Was I mis-informed?
FallenChrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spearhead are playing in my area tomorrow night, so I'll be able to comment then. I wouldn't call anything I've heard from them "war metal", but Decrowning the Irenarch certainly has a militant edge to it.

How did that faggot Weston Cage even get on this tour? I'm assuming that decision wasn't left up to either the members of Spearhead or Urgehal.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm debating going up a few hours for the Oakland gig... not sure though. Dunno if I really want to spend money on just one band to see. Would be cool to see Spearhead though. Confused
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might have been the shitty sound of the bar that made it sound 'war metal'-ish.... In the Angelcorpse sense of the term. I guess "martial" would be a better description.
They are great live, be sure to check them out. Where are they playing in St.Paul? is The Lab still around? i've been there a few times.

I have no idea how Weston Cage got on the tour....pretty gay though. He didn't seem to have any interaction whatsoever with any of the Spearhead/Urgehal guys though. The guy is a peter-puffer, Im sure of it.
His band is pretty terrible as well, but I do have to say that out of nowhere, the gay keyboards and Dimmu Borgir vocals would give way to a pretty good thrash riff here and there....then right back to the estrogen-fest that the rest of the music is.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
I'm debating going up a few hours for the Oakland gig... not sure though. Dunno if I really want to spend money on just one band to see. Would be cool to see Spearhead though. Confused

I'd go if you have the chance. They played for a good 45-50 minutes. despite my general ambivalence towards Urgehal, they were pretty good. Probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing Darkthrone live Laughing
adrian5118

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their promo pictures even look like Dimmu Borgir. Wow. Laughing
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: SPEARHEAD Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

Nicholas Cage's son's symphonic black metal band opened the show....what a fucking joke!

Sweet Satan!
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
Their promo pictures even look like Dimmu Borgir. Wow. Laughing

They stuck with just gay eyeliner at the show!
Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their first album "Deathless Steel Command" isn't that bad, although i don't think they're too fond of it anymore... Very much WWII-fixated Black/Death Metal with some brutal moments, more traditional Norse riffs strewn about and sub-par production (although the drum sound is pretty awesome). As i said, not bad but by no means essential. "Decrowning..." is much more representative of the Imperialist concept they're going for.

I say grab a copy from the band themselves just to hear the difference and how much this band has matured.
schadel_reich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SPEARHEAD Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
I hear their older stuff is more of a typical black metal sound, as opposed to their current Angelcorpse/O.F.C./Revenge like sound, and nothing special at all. Is this true? is it worth tracking down?

I personally wouldn't say that their newer stuff is very much like Revenge or Order From Chaos. The Angelcorpse comparison I'm more inclined to agree with, but definitely not Revenge. Their first album though is pretty decent, but not as memorable/as good as their latest album. However, this doesn't mean that it isn't worth checking out.
RadianceOfShadows

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to seeing Spearhead and Urgehal next week.
FallenChrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
They are great live, be sure to check them out. Where are they playing in St.Paul? is The Lab still around? i've been there a few times.

They're playing at a bar called Big V's near the intersection of University and Snelling. This'll be my first time there, so I'm not sure what to expect.
TeethofSkull

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenChrist wrote:
How did that faggot Weston Cage even get on this tour?

it's very simple : the promoter, LAVA BOOKING, booked the URGEHAL/SPEARHEAD tour and also books EoN. To her, it's apples and apples : bands have corpse paint, no more questions.

No one, and I mean no one, cares about EoN. They are a walking, talking, Daddy-funded joke. Nice fellas and all, but Villains has played with them twice now [gasp].

First time, with all the big-bucks promotion and Daddy's money and Hollywood PR, etc, two people paid to see them: Uncle Lorenzo Coppola, and a small asian woman who took pictures with her cell-phone constantly. Yep, picture it : an empty dancefloor with nothing but a portly baldheaded Italian man in a suit and said woman one-fifth his size clicking away. This time, they were nothing more than a clog in the proverbial artery of a decent show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: