P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

the Ebay is officially retarded thread part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 401, 402, 403 ... 406, 407, 408  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakentorso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down There.... wrote:
Probably a lot of the people spending this money are in their 40s/50s who attach a shit load of sentimental value to these records and have the money to spend

This. It's nostalgica + love for the Music + love for the "vinyl"-Format + good income (+maybe no children to feed as a single male household ... a common thing in western societies) + easier ways to buy rare records (browsing the WWW is easier as running from second Hand store to second Hand store or fair) + the rules of the "market", that is aware of aforementioned facts.

I cannot see the slightest Problem with records being sold for hundreds of bucks. It is even a common Thing for record collectors OF ALL GENRES. Limited/hard to find records do sell for thounds of Dollars as every "antique" object of cultural value (books, stamps, furniture, Comics, ...) sells for a lot of Money, if the hunter is ready to pay for it.

Why should all the cultural mechanisms that lead to price increasing of an object apply to f.e. a Sex Pistols record or a rare jazz Music LP and not to a 25 years old Black metal record?

And yes, it is totally decadent. but hey, we're living the western world so what are you guys expecting? our beloved Music not being touched by these decadent mechanics? Laughing
Endsieg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"people" paid up to 10'000$ for Dio memorabilia. people want something, they got money, so it happens. get used to it.

I can understand 1000$ for a record more than 1000$ for some weird fairytale shoes.
Down There....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These records are not easy to get and record collectors, like every sort of collector like originals. Personally I've no problem with the way things are when it comes to these old, important and hard to find records. People are willing to pay to own them and who says spending 500 on a record is worse than spending it on a TV which is totally acceptable behaviour for the majority of so-called "normal" people.
Humus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that anybody has a problem with some records fetching high prices. The metal audience has always been rather fanatical so it's no surprise that this extends into the prices of vinyl.

However...
-spending $1000 on a Mayhem record that usually sells for half the price
-recently released albums selling for ten times the retail price

is a completely different issue than long-sold out limited releases of 'genre classics' selling for considerable amounts of money.
Down There....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:

is a completely different issue than long-sold out limited releases of 'genre classics' selling for considerable amounts of money.

Exclamation
GrimorthPaleblood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it really revolves around the historical importance of an album. I'd never pay 1000$ for a Mayhem record ever, but I can understand the appeal of owning a 1st press LP of such an important album such as their debut full length. However, I think it falls into the ridicoulous when LPs by bands that are nearly irrelevant sell for such prices (i.e. a certain album by a certain "national romantic" band, skjold records, limited to 10 copies UVSS tapes, ...) just because they came out 10 or so years ago (even though the age doesn't even matter anymore) in very limited quantity with a few extras you're never going to use ever. Those are the things that make me laugh so hard! Laughing
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then again, why do you give so much a fuck about how people spend their money? That you keep coming back with same post on every page makes it look that you're just jealous.

LAMENTATION "Grabens Symphonie" 2CD OUT NOW!
Jorm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
However...
-spending $1000 on a Mayhem record that usually sells for half the price

This.

I have no problem seeing someone buying an original yellow goat Bathory or an album like Dark Medieval Times for 1000+ euros. Those are 35 and 25 years old classics that became really hard to find.

But albums reaching 200/300 as soon as they're sold-out is beyond my understanding. Then again, stupid people are paying those prices ofc, but the ones that could actually listen to the thing may not pay those prices.

The case of fantomasragnarok was something else. Let's not discuss this again, just read a few pages back.
GrimorthPaleblood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
But then again, why do you give so much a fuck about how people spend their money?

Maybe because I DO NOT give a fuck about that in any way? You can throw your money at whatever piece of black junk that comes out from these labels/artists and I don't necessairly need to be that butthurt to speak against it. I just laugh at shit like this. Must be hard being so serious all then time, huh? Wink
deveneror

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimorthPaleblood wrote:
Tireheb wrote:
But then again, why do you give so much a fuck about how people spend their money?

Maybe because I DO NOT give a fuck about that in any way? You can throw your money at whatever piece of black junk that comes out from these labels/artists and I don't necessairly need to be that butthurt to speak against it. I just laugh at shit like this. Must be hard being so serious all then time, huh? Wink

+1
Dismal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really into vinyl as a format, but wow. To both the content of this thread as well as the prices that some people are apparently willing to pay.

Also, thanks to this thread I have noticed that even some 'special edition' etc of certain cds I own, like that KPN one, apparently go for a lot on discogs etc. No idea.
Vapula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down There.... wrote:
Never really understood why DMDS was always so cheap compared to contemporary records, but 1000 is expensive. Does Discogs register when a sale is complete or after someone has clicked the "buy" button?

Not sure if this is what your referring to but Discogs does not register every sale into that higher, lower section thing. I have on a few occasions in the past sold one or two records for higher then what the current highest value is that's given and also some for lower then the lowest value given none these were ever registered in those ratings. It was a long time ago I can't remember what records I sold but I use to check a few times after I sold them even months later and the prices were still not showing.

So the whole thing of them displaying this on the website is pointless as it has no true meaning and it's also encouraging every idiot out there mainly in stores to price everything according to Discogs highest price.

The vinyl bubble will have to burst at some stage it was on it's way to bursting until all these boutique limited to 100 releases staring coming out and people thought they could make a quick buck from them.
windofpain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vapula wrote:
Down There.... wrote:
Never really understood why DMDS was always so cheap compared to contemporary records, but 1000 is expensive. Does Discogs register when a sale is complete or after someone has clicked the "buy" button?

Not sure if this is what your referring to but Discogs does not register every sale into that higher, lower section thing. I have on a few occasions in the past sold one or two records for higher then what the current highest value is that's given and also some for lower then the lowest value given none these were ever registered in those ratings. It was a long time ago I can't remember what records I sold but I use to check a few times after I sold them even months later and the prices were still not showing.

So the whole thing of them displaying this on the website is pointless as it has no true meaning and it's also encouraging every idiot out there mainly in stores to price everything according to Discogs highest price.

The vinyl bubble will have to burst at some stage it was on it's way to bursting until all these boutique limited to 100 releases staring coming out and people thought they could make a quick buck from them.

It shows the last 10 sales
Tireheb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimorthPaleblood wrote:
Maybe because I DO NOT give a fuck about that in any way? You can throw your money at whatever piece of black junk that comes out from these labels/artists and I don't necessairly need to be that butthurt to speak against it.

You "don't give a fuck" but still need to complain about how others use their money? Sorry but you're the only butthurt in this one.

LAMENTATION "Grabens Symphonie" 2CD OUT NOW!
Vapula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windofpain wrote:
Vapula wrote:
Down There.... wrote:

It shows the last 10 sales

Maybe it's changed now but before mine never showed. I only use discogs for buying now so haven't tested it out in a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 401, 402, 403 ... 406, 407, 408  Next
Page 402 of 408

Jump to: