P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Depressive Illusions Records
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Depressive Illusions Records Reply with quote

Update: I emailed Sergiy and he responded right away that he would send me new ones. He said that this happens when they "order black tapes from the local shop, sometimes they're mixed with music." Not entirely sure I understand but at least he's willing to make this right. Hopefully, he'll check to make sure they're new this time. I am assuming his aesthetic for his own projects bleed over into how he runs his label (cd-r's, used cassettes, used analog tapes, etc). I appreciate everyone's input; as I mentioned, I did not want to be an asshole unwarranted.

Original Thread

For some reason, I cannot post a reply to the original thread so I am sorry for creating a new post.

Last year, I ordered two patches (Burial Mist and Wolf [MEX]) from this label and they were great quality so I figured that this Sergiy was reputable. I have really gotten into Zulmet and there are 6 releases that have only been physically released on DIR so I put in an order last month.

They arrived yesterday and the fact that a pizza box was used for padding should've been my first warning sign that I was fucked as I remember that bullshit Batushka pulled. While the artwork is indeed a pro-cover inlay the cassettes are not professionally transferred. They're just regular cassettes that some asshole transferred in their bedroom. I would have been fine had I been aware of this beforehand, but to make matters worse, two of the albums were recorded on previously used cassettes and you can hear shitty techno music playing the entire time making them completely unlistenable. There's a 3rd cassette that sounds fine but makes this loud clicking sound the entire time.

I'm currently stewing as to whether or not I should email him to ask for new "copies" of the fucked cassettes or just cut my losses open a Paypal dispute and demand all my money back as I feel this was false advertising. I can download these albums from Bandcamp and simply record those tracks over brand new cassettes myself. Should I have known these were not pro cassettes? Here's an example of the item description in his shop. Nowhere does it state that these cassettes are demo tape trading quality and not pro! I am pretty pissed off right now but he's been fast to respond when I email and fast to ship. I don't want to be a dick if I should've simply known better. After seeing the posts that YK has made about cunts that rip him off I would hate to do that to someone undeservingly. Anyway, just seeing what other people's thought/experiences are. I look forward to your responses.

Last edited by SilenceEater on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
AliveAsTheDead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it's best to assume they are not pro tapes, unless otherwise stated. Especially with small labels like this one. I've ordered before, just once a couple of years ago. Everything was fine.
AliveAsTheDead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, there's no excuse for the home dubbed tapes to have background noise. I'd contact them for sure about that. and just not order again, if the lack of their tapes being pro shells/duplicated is bothersome for you.
CR99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a cunt and give the man a chance to explain himself and make things right before you open a thread with such a rousing title, this isn't hard to figure out. Shoot him a mail and see what happens. If that's not working out you can still give a warning to others.
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliveAsTheDead wrote:
That said, there's no excuse for the home dubbed tapes to have background noise. I'd contact them for sure about that. and just not order again, if the lack of their tapes being pro shells/duplicated is bothersome for you.

I appreciate your honest input. I'm willing to accept I should've known better about them not being pro. I believe I will simply inform him about the fucked up cassettes and hopefully, he will be cool about sending me new copies.
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR99 wrote:
Don't be a cunt and give the man a chance to explain himself and make things right before you open a thread with such a rousing title, this isn't hard to figure out. Shoot him a mail and see what happens. If that's not working out you can still give a warning to others.

I changed the title even though I thought I phrased it clearly as a question. I was more interested in whether or not I should've known these were not pro cassettes which AliveAsTheDead answered for me. If you read the original thread it's all badmouthing this label which had me concerned. Thanks for your input
Instinct

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I had a back and forth with the owner of this label regarding a release he had just put out on cassette (the 'artist' in question had stolen a piece of my Wife's border artwork for said release, turns out he'd literally stolen the music of others too) the owner of DIR was entirely cooperative and open and cancelled/removed the release from his site once all had been revealed to him so I'd say, not a scammer but perhaps needs to pay attention to any misleading descriptions on his website.

The 'artist' (mundane talentless thief) still using the DIR name on his bandcamp page for 'cult' status I guess. Artwork credit added AFTER my Wife called him out on it and received a lousy payment after weeks of excuses...

https://heivok.bandcamp.com/album/hithaeglir
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instinct wrote:
For what its worth, I had a back and forth with the owner of this label regarding a release he had just put out on cassette (the 'artist' in question had stolen a piece of my Wife's border artwork for said release, turns out he'd literally stolen the music of others too) the owner of DIR was entirely cooperative and open and cancelled/removed the release from his site once all had been revealed to him so I'd say, not a scammer but perhaps needs to pay attention to any misleading descriptions on his website.

The 'artist' (mundane talentless thief) still using the DIR name on his bandcamp page for 'cult' status I guess. Artwork credit added AFTER my Wife called him out on it and received a lousy payment after weeks of excuses...

https://heivok.bandcamp.com/album/hithaeglir

Sorry to hear that happened to your wife! That bullshit is infuriating but if you inform bandcamp of his thievery I am positive they will remove his music and ban his account. Sounds like Sergiy did the right thing; thanks for sharing
StuartL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This label just releases anything you send them, you could send them Brittney Spears and say it's dsbm, give it a cover art with the first result of "night forest" in google images and put the logo on top with Ultimate Black Metal font on mspaint they'd release it on CD-R.
Haerelon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a couple of cassettes off them once. On pretty much all of them the tape runs out half way through a song and the song continues from where it stopped when you flip the tape. lol.
GrimorthPaleblood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haerelon wrote:
I ordered a couple of cassettes off them once. On pretty much all of them the tape runs out half way through a song and it continues from where it stopped when you flip the tape. lol.

This is pure gold right here. It's also funny how this is the same issue I had when I ordered from them the first time, except in my case there was no music on the tape's B Side. Laughing

Ended up Kobe-ing that trash right in the recycle bin.
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimorthPaleblood wrote:
except in my case there was no music on the tape's B Side. Laughing

Yeah, all the tapes I received were only recorded on one side. I'm not too pissed about that as that's what I would expect from someone just dubbing these copies.

The Vampyre's Cipher cassette that I won from Drowning the Light was humorously two songs recorded on one side of a 90-minute tape Laughing Not complaining in this case either; just found it funny
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added an update on my post but here it is as well:

Quote:
Update: I emailed Sergiy and he responded right away that he would send me new ones. He said that this happens when they "order black tapes from the local shop, sometimes they're mixed with music." Not entirely sure I understand but at least he's willing to make this right. Hopefully, he'll check to make sure they're new this time. I am assuming his aesthetic for his own projects bleed over into how he runs his label (cd-r's, used cassettes, used analog tapes, etc). I appreciate everyone's input; as I mentioned, I did not want to be an asshole unwarranted.
Haerelon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimorthPaleblood wrote:
Haerelon wrote:
I ordered a couple of cassettes off them once. On pretty much all of them the tape runs out half way through a song and it continues from where it stopped when you flip the tape. lol.

This is pure gold right here. It's also funny how this is the same issue I had when I ordered from them the first time, except in my case there was no music on the tape's B Side. Laughing

Haha, I've thought of doing the same. One tape has Phil Colins printed on it, another has Eurythmics. I questioned whether or not he was being serious with this, but ah well, first and last time I ordered with them.
GrimorthPaleblood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilenceEater wrote:
I added an update on my post but here it is as well:

Quote:

Haerelon wrote:
GrimorthPaleblood wrote:
Haerelon wrote:

Haha, I've thought of doing the same. One tape has Phil Colins printed on it, another has Eurythmics. I questioned whether or not he was being serious with this, but ah well, first and last time I ordered with them.

I don't know what kind of actual, physical local shop sells tapes in 2018, but this DIR guy is probably using recycled, 2nd or 3rd hand cassettes to dub stuff on, not the best option if you want to sell your label's bands' material on them at all. Oh well, I guess it can't be helped...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: