P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Drinklist!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 207, 208, 209  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had family from out of town bring me beer from Idaho. The closest I can get to that Wyoming Zonker Stout, which is excellent, and really cheap for the quality. The "40 years" tagged beer is a Saison brewed custom for a grocery store there. Hope it is good...
MezzoForte

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were more can-centric breweries out there.
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Canned beers always taste worse than their bottled versions... 500ml brown bottles are perfect for storing beer.

Just finished the last of that batch of wheat beer - have another batch started and some 8% apple cider on the way. Drinking some mildly enjoyable Faxe lager
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canned beers are so much better than bottles. I cannot tell you how many bottled beers I've had with off flavors sitting under light in a store. Stale/oxidized Lagers in bottles are the worst, and always seem expensive.

There seems to be a contract canner in Idaho so there is a decent selection available there. Last visit I got a good Barley Wine in 1 12oz can for $1.79 if I remember right! Unfortunately the brewery doesn't make it often.
MezzoForte wrote:
I wish there were more can-centric breweries out there.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prophet Muhammad wrote:

Just finished the last of that batch of wheat beer - have another batch started and some 8% apple cider on the way. Drinking some mildly enjoyable Faxe lager

How much of an initial investment (ballpark figure) would you say it takes to get a a little permanent homebrew operation going ? I'm not talking about shitty kits that you find at stores in the mall, but decent equipment that will last ? Space is a concern since I live in an apartment, but I'd really like to try my hand at making my own stuff. Is the learning curve sharp ?

I definitely prefer canned beers myself these days, after letting go of the (false) notion ingrained in me that canned=shit.
doomedplanet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough one to answer because there is a lot of different materials you can choose and depends on the process you want to go for.
Leaning curve is typically a growth curve. Depends on how good you want to get at it. And the time to invest in learning. To get better you have to learn more. The best free place to gain starter knowledge would be to read this website:
http://www.howtobrew.com/

or buy the book.

blodhemn9 wrote:

How much of an initial investment (ballpark figure) would you say it takes to get a a little permanent homebrew operation going ? I'm not talking about shitty kits that you find at stores in the mall, but decent equipment that will last ? Space is a concern since I live in an apartment, but I'd really like to try my hand at making my own stuff. Is the learning curve sharp ?

I definitely prefer canned beers myself these days, after letting go of the (false) notion ingrained in me that canned=shit.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link !
necrodeceitdoctrinator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redwineredwineredwineredwine
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottles aren't any more superior to cans than cds are to vinyl. Or vice versa. My point being it isn't a yes or no/black or white issue. There are merits to both.
deathevocation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer certain beers in bottles and others in cans.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is funny, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog visits the Great American Beer Festival :

http://teamcoco.com/video/triumph-beer-festival?.src=www
necrodeceitdoctrinator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mix of Jagermeister, Amaro Montenegro and Borghetti at stadium this afternoon
The Prophet Muhammad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

It depends on what level you wish to take your brewing to. Initial investment could be anywhere from $50 to $200 or more if you wish to drop that much. Some of the "shitty kits" actually make some pretty good beer (my roommate just made the dark ale, stout and IPA and they all turned out great). They save you some money and teach you the basics of making beer without having to worry about all the semantics behind an all-grain batch. With an all-grain batch, you're pretty much doing everything yourself, but with the kits, they have saved you all of the messier and more expensive steps.

All you need to get started really is
- A brew bucket (20 - 30 bucks?)
- Airlock / bung ($2)
- some sanitizer (StarSan is great)
- bottles - I use the 1L twist cap ones, about $16 for 12. bit hefty but saves capping. If you save your pop-top bottles, they work well too.
- the brewing ingredients for a 4 - 5 gallon batch, which are anywhere from $15 to $50+ depending on if you use a kit, or if you reach total beer snob status.

As the other guy said, its a huge range. A decent all-grain setup will cost you hundreds of dollars, but there are always ways of doing these things on the cheap and a lot of brew supply stores sell things for too much money that you really don't need.
MezzoForte

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding canning, I just believe that there's a stigma attached to the idea that really shouldn't be there. It's a perfectly fine medium of storage and at this point I find it odd that it's still somewhat of a niche in craft. What I would do for a case of Heady Topper!

nice discussion about homebrew. I've thought about trying it out for a while now. Got some homework to do.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:

It depends on what level you wish to take your brewing to. Initial investment could be anywhere from $50 to $200 or more if you wish to drop that much. Some of the "shitty kits" actually make some pretty good beer (my roommate just made the dark ale, stout and IPA and they all turned out great). They save you some money and teach you the basics of making beer without having to worry about all the semantics behind an all-grain batch. With an all-grain batch, you're pretty much doing everything yourself, but with the kits, they have saved you all of the messier and more expensive steps.

All you need to get started really is
- A brew bucket (20 - 30 bucks?)
- Airlock / bung ($2)
- some sanitizer (StarSan is great)
- bottles - I use the 1L twist cap ones, about $16 for 12. bit hefty but saves capping. If you save your pop-top bottles, they work well too.
- the brewing ingredients for a 4 - 5 gallon batch, which are anywhere from $15 to $50+ depending on if you use a kit, or if you reach total beer snob status.

As the other guy said, its a huge range. A decent all-grain setup will cost you hundreds of dollars, but there are always ways of doing these things on the cheap and a lot of brew supply stores sell things for too much money that you really don't need.

Thanks for the info. The link provided by the other poster and your post is giving me plenty to read and think about today at work.
I don't have any grand plans, I'd just like to brew some decent beers in a not too large, sustainable system for personal use. Decision, decisions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 207, 208, 209  Next
Page 189 of 209

Jump to: