P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Book Recommendations (Clive Barker)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infidel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with Blood Meridian. It's definitely my favorite novel. Also check out Suttree, it's like an adult version of Tom Sawyer. And Child Of God is just a great (JET)BLACK comedy.
jerry666

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
If you love horror, there are 2 American writers that OWN the genre for the last decade:

JACK KETCHUM
BRIAN KEENE

Pick up any book by either, trust me!

These 2 guys have made me love horror fiction again.
hellllllll yesssssssssssss
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this dead thread because, why not? I don't post here often but I've recently fallen in love with literature and indeed have been reading some stuff which may appeal to some people's sensibilities here.

Just finished reading a book called 'I Was Dora Suarez', which is more of a crime/murder mystery, yet it is unbelievably grim and dark. It arguably has elements bordering on horror yet its focus is more on what humanity is capable of. Derek Raymond's work was mainly set in the dark underworld of 80's London and should appeal to some people here. I'm quite a fan of crime fiction myself, but nothing I have read so far is as grim as this!

Have been diving in and out of Baudelaire, Edgar Allan Poe and also Thomas Ligotti recently. Clive Barker is on the list for the holiday period.

Also, in no ways gory or bloody, but I'd also strongly recommend M.R. James. I think Arthur Machen may appeal to some sensibilities too, especially given he was in fact admired by Lovecraft and indeed had his work illustrated by Austin Osman Spare. Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith also allegedly liked to dive into Lovecraftian storytelling too.

Lets revive this as this thread died out way before it should have, and it was pretty awesome frankly.
Valgrinder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was kid I used to consume novels from Joe R. Lansdale and Robert Bloch. Lansdale is more Barkerish with very dark humour and sick splatter but still doing really nice stories. Bloch is more traditional in the vein of Poe and others. Psychological horror, fex Psycho is written by him
Brooklyn Bastard 666

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerry666 wrote:
Brooklyn Bastard 666 wrote:
If you love horror, there are 2 American writers that OWN the genre for the last decade:

JACK KETCHUM
BRIAN KEENE

Pick up any book by either, trust me!

These 2 guys have made me love horror fiction again.
hellllllll yesssssssssssss

Damn, 5 years ago I posted that?
Crazy how time flies.

I still love both authors. I read Stephen King's "Shining" sequel last year "Doctor Sleep" and LOVED it. Can anyone recommend other new horror fiction out there?
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, Derek Raymond's 'I Was Dora Suarez' should appeal to your horror inclinations despite being crime fiction. Should appeal to your macabre sensibilities.
Heirophant.326.AV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Reviving this dead thread because, why not? I don't post here often but I've recently fallen in love with literature and indeed have been reading some stuff which may appeal to some people's sensibilities here.

Just finished reading a book called 'I Was Dora Suarez', which is more of a crime/murder mystery, yet it is unbelievably grim and dark. It arguably has elements bordering on horror yet its focus is more on what humanity is capable of. Derek Raymond's work was mainly set in the dark underworld of 80's London and should appeal to some people here. I'm quite a fan of crime fiction myself, but nothing I have read so far is as grim as this!

Have been diving in and out of Baudelaire, Edgar Allan Poe and also Thomas Ligotti recently. Clive Barker is on the list for the holiday period.

Also, in no ways gory or bloody, but I'd also strongly recommend M.R. James. I think Arthur Machen may appeal to some sensibilities too, especially given he was in fact admired by Lovecraft and indeed had his work illustrated by Austin Osman Spare. Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith also allegedly liked to dive into Lovecraftian storytelling too.

Lets revive this as this thread died out way before it should have, and it was pretty awesome frankly.

If you like M.R James and Arthur Machen, you should check out Algernon Blackwood. Same era and similar subjects. "The willows" is regarded as one of the best cosmic horror stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: